Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
Hell yes. I'm going back to New York where I'm at least still qualified to teach - in the Bronx! "There's a math/science teacher shortage" my ass! Well, maybe. But only if you're white and not Native American like me. I get doors slammed in my face when I show up, I get handed all kinds of excuses why they can't hire "anyone" after all, and on and on. I'm heading for the Bronx or Killadelphia, where at least I won't have to worry about a retirement plan!! I'd rather get killed in the line of duty as a teacher than starve to death out here in "the Golden State" for lack of work!!
Do you by any chance enter into interviews with that kind of drama?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Quote:
The unions got too greedy with the demands for over generous pensions, and now a lot of us union members are losing our jobs.
I dunno, I have a nice pension, I ought to, I paid for it every month I worked for the state I worked for.

I don't have a lot of love for unions or union members. My and my family's experience with Unions has been negative.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 PM

306 posts, read 758,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Do you by any chance enter into interviews with that kind of drama?
I don't even get as far as interviews anymore. The only thing I've gotten anywhere near is subbing in San Francisco which doesn't pay enough to live anywhere near there. Hence the "starve to death" comment.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Quote:
Well, maybe. But only if you're white and not Native American like me. I get doors slammed in my face when I show up, I get handed all kinds of excuses why they can't hire "anyone" after all, and on and on.
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that it is not his ethnic background that is the problem.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
We lived in SF/Oakland for over 30 years. Left for a smaller town 3000 miles away on the other coast. We've made a happy transition.

But in many ways, California will always be my spiritual home.

No other state really has the sheer physical beauty of California. From Yosemite to the Redwoods, from the East Bay parks in the hills to the beaches of Big Sur--absolutely drop-dead gorgeous.

We were driven out by cost of living and the car culture...we couldn't figure out a way to live close to nature, afford housing, and earn a living, so we left. I wanted to earn my living by writing and No CA is not an easy place to be a writer or artist anymore. Too expensive.

It was not an easy decision to leave. California is a special place.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
with so many people unemployed, unstable employment with continuing threat of layoffs, paycuts for those with jobs my question is this...HOW, HOW, HOW are people still buying $400-500k homes? Prices are still much higher than the 2002 level when the employment picture was MUCH better. I also hear of bidding wars now for homes in the $400k range.

I can understand people don't want to cut back a few things like weekend movies etc. but making such a massive 30yr commitment at such a BIG price point (close to half a million dollars) in this economic climate? Californians must either be incredibly stupid or incrediby gutsy... given what has happened in the past I am going to vote "incredibly stupid".

Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
with so many people unemployed, unstable employment with continuing threat of layoffs, paycuts for those with jobs my question is this...HOW, HOW, HOW are people still buying $400-500k homes? Prices are still much higher than the 2002 level when the employment picture was MUCH better. I also hear of bidding wars now for homes in the $400k range.

I can understand people don't want to cut back a few things like weekend movies etc. but making such a massive 30yr commitment at such a BIG price point (close to half a million dollars) in this economic climate? Californians must either be incredibly stupid or incrediby gutsy... given what has happened in the past I am going to vote "incredibly stupid".
Well, not everyone is doing badly.

In fact, my parents are in the market to buy two new homes because the prices are getting lower and lower. They have a lot of saved capital, their stocks are doing great, they both have wonderful jobs and are taking advantage of the market.

Not everyone in California is stupid.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, not everyone is doing badly.

In fact, my parents are in the market to buy two new homes because the prices are getting lower and lower. They have a lot of saved capital, their stocks are doing great, they both have wonderful jobs and are taking advantage of the market.

Not everyone in California is stupid.
Sure there are always exceptions, like your parents, I'm talking more about the general case..mostly first time buyers who target the $300-400k price point. Most of these buyers don't have huge savings.

Having a job now doesn't mean in 6 months they can rely on that job being there. As I said, the chances of getting laid off are higher than ever now.

I know many couples who have bought recently and if one gets laid off they will lose the home because they bought based on a dual income. That is a risky proposition in this economic climate.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
with so many people unemployed, unstable employment with continuing threat of layoffs, paycuts for those with jobs my question is this...HOW, HOW, HOW are people still buying $400-500k homes?
FHA, Fannie, Freddie. Negligible downpayments, bad credit, no problem: these government agencies are the new subprime lenders and will loan $700k+ to anyone with a pulse. Never mind that most of them will default a few years from now. It will be some other administration's problem then.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Californians must either be incredibly stupid or incrediby gutsy... given what has happened in the past I am going to vote "incredibly stupid".
DUH! Did it ever occur to you that some of us were/are incredibly smart. We lived frugally, invested wisely, saved assiduously, excelled at our jobs, retired to different and less costly states on our California-based retirement incomes? Or maybe, even, all of the above! We're the same ones who weren't drawn-in by easy credit, didn't over-extend ourselves and as a consequence, live pleasant, secure and affordable/sustainable lives either in CA or elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California