Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 9,412 times

Advertisements

love your post, I have to agree with you. I have been here for 30 years...and I feel the same way. Beautiful, very comfortable financially, and bring a big family or friends as So. California's are too buzy working 60 hours a week to make friends. In This workaholic state the is " the sunshine tax" we pay dearly for it...and don't forget the car has to be way up to par as you are judged by what you drive. But, it you love hordes of people, lines it is nice. Had a friend visit from Lake Tahoe, he did a trade show in Newport Beach he was stunned as to how looks orientated people are...sad to say the least! If
you
have a ton of money including plastic surgery savings, it is a nice place. A lot of people would never think to move...I call em weather whores! ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,936,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy691 View Post
love your post, I have to agree with you. I have been here for 30 years...and I feel the same way. Beautiful, very comfortable financially, and bring a big family or friends as So. California's are too buzy working 60 hours a week to make friends. In This workaholic state the is " the sunshine tax" we pay dearly for it...and don't forget the car has to be way up to par as you are judged by what you drive. But, it you love hordes of people, lines it is nice. Had a friend visit from Lake Tahoe, he did a trade show in Newport Beach he was stunned as to how looks orientated people are...sad to say the least! If
you
have a ton of money including plastic surgery savings, it is a nice place. A lot of people would never think to move...I call em weather whores! ha
If you have to worry about what other people think of what car you drive, or what you look like, you really need a self-esteem boost. I drive what I want and don't give a rat's a-ss about what people think. I look how I want to look and I don't care what others think. I leave the house with no makeup and just look plain and ordinary, and sometimes I leave all gussied up with hair, makeup and dressed to the nines. It really doesn't matter what other people think because I know who I am and what I'm all about! If you have to worry about those things, you need to grow some balls.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 9,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candis View Post
I've asked serveral people that lived in or visited California. The response that I got from them were:

(1) people in california are superficial, if you can't do anything for them, they don't want to be bother.

Some are superficial but that is the case anywhere. There are just so many people in some areas of Cali that those who are superficial seem to be in abundance to outsiders.

(2) only rich and beautiful people live in Cali

I'm neither rich or beautiful.

(3) very expensive, a one bedroom apt cost 3,000

Expensive relative to many parts of the country, yes. A one bedroom apt for $3000? I've never seen one. In my neck of the woods (Ventura County), $1000 is probably the average.

(4) people are fake and it is hard to meet new friends

Refer to answer 1. Most of your new friends will come from those with whom you work. But, that is generally the case throughout adulthood, really. If you are the type that likes to buddy up with your neighbors and have monthly block parties, it probably isn't going to happen because someone is always moving in and someone is always moving out of the neighborhood.

(5) Only for Heedans (sp), if you are in the church not a good place to live

Actually, the term is heathen or, in plural form, "heathens". There are plenty of very nice churches in some neighborhoods of Cali. It varies according to the income of the members as it does anywhere. Then again, I have never been in a church in Cali because I am... well... a heathen.

(6) I will miss the change of seasons ( I currently live in Maryland)

Although I grew up in Cali I lived in upstate New York for 15 years. I do not miss the seasons at all. It just resulted in a bunch of work from raking leaves to shoveling snow, to "spring cleaning" to mowing the lawn etc, etc. None of it was any fun.

(7) everything is spread out, no entertainment

Wow.. depending upon where you live. There are hot beds of entertainment if you are drawn to such things and there are plenty of ways to entertain yourself if you are more the introverted type. That really depends upon what you consider to be entertainment and how near to that definition you live.

And there were more, however, please let me know if all these stereotypes are true about California. I was really interested in moving there. But if these are true, then I will consider moving somewhere else.
What I love about Cali are predictable weather patterns, the seemingly endless outdoor activities and employment opportunities, scenery, variety of foods, entertainment options, events and cultures.

What I hate about Cali are all the damn people, and the high cost of living in some areas. Sometimes it is a little overwhelming.

I think the biggest thing one has to understand about Cali (So Cal in particular) is that living here means that you are in a constant state of change. From the latest automobile being seen on every freeway and then gone in a month to the neighborhood you grew up being wiped out to build a new condo development -It never, ever stops. It is just something you have to adapt to. It will either make ya or break ya. You just have to be willing to roll with it.

Some from the rural areas or Northern Cali may chime in with different perspectives.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:13 AM

36,631 posts, read 67,212,236 times
[quote=candis;797122]I've asked serveral people that lived in or visited California. The response that I got from them were:

Quote:
(1) people in california are superficial, if you can't do anything for them, they don't want to be bother.
Our common reaction to the recent fires in Southern California should put that silly notion to rest. We are people who love our families and care about our communities, just like anywhere else.

Quote:
Many rich and beautiful people live in California-true. But millions are not rich and beautiful only to their mothers eyes.

Quote:
Maybe in swank apartment areas like Nob Hill or Mid Wilshire, but you can get cheaper most everywhere else.

Quote:
Not if your rich and beautiful.

Otherwise,
There are nearly 38 Million people here, something tells me you might be able to find people with similar interests as yourself.

Quote:
If going to church means a person is trained to be intolerant, than being hedonistic may not be such a bad idea after all. Otherwise, name a church or faith, Cali's got it.

Quote:
We have the four seasons sometimes on the same day depending on where you are in CA

Quote:
California is 150,000 sq miles and its length is equivalent to driving from Boston to Raleigh...we've got some room to work with, yes.

As far as Entertainment? CA offers more than any other state-I cant believe this is even an issue.

Quote:
please let me know if all these stereotypes are true about California. I was really interested in moving there. But if these are true, then I will consider moving somewhere else.
You cant please all the people, all the time. Such is life.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 20,962 times
Candis, if you love winter, and are dependant on seasons - look to the higher elevations. Northern California and anywhere east of I5 has seasons.
If your seeking a community where traditional church going is prevalent, look to the central valley cities, Lodi, Modesto, Sacramento, for starters.
The cost of living in CA is higher than every other state in the union. That said, in Yuba City a 1 BR apartment rents for $500.00, and the same apartment in San Francisco rents for $1,800, and then there is everything in between, it deends on where you go.
It is a complete TV fantasy that people in CA are rich and beautiful. Pick up a copy of Sacramento magazine, it is sponsored by hundreds of plastic surgeons and smile-brite shops. The beauty in CA is more of an industry than in most places, but only because I guess people think of the equity in their homes as cash burning a hole in their pocket. (That is also true in Malibu, and in Walnut Creek. Except in the Walnut Creek Target store. Normal homely people seem to shop there.)
Seriously, I evaluate applications for food stamps and medicaid, there is probably more extreme poverty and hunger in Contra Costa County alone - than in most small states. And this is only one of 52 counties, and is demographically one of the richest counties in the state.
Actually the truth is there is three extremes, economically... the extremely financially comfortable who live all over the place because they can (!) buy up anything they want in the prettiest sleepiest little towns and then raise the cost of ho using to where the regular working person can no longer afford to live (example - Martinez, Pittsburg, Antioch, Sebastopol, etc. etc. etc). Then there are the regular working people, who can't save enough to put up a down payment for an overpriced home (20% of the median home price $550,000 is $110,000.00) so they go for 100% financing, about a year before going bankrupt and losing their houses (example, Antioch, Brentwood, Pittsburg, Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, Elk Grove, etc. etc. etc) and then there are the extremely poor, living with two or three families plus to a house or an apartment, where two or three adults have full time jobs, to support a few kids and one aged or disabled individual, all under one roof, and they still can't afford to eat at the end of the week. All of these extremes are very very real, and very prevalant.
The only reason there are such stereotypes is because there are millions of people here. MILLIONS. Everywhere except the vast and numerous agricultural towns (everywhere in the state) where there are no jobs, I mean none.
The stereotyping just doesn't fit if you are open to planning for what your own wants are. But don't just take your chances. People who have worked full time here all their lives and can't afford to live here much less retire here. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,180,349 times
Default Be prepared

All I have to say is, be prepared to pay more for everything. Period. Gas groceries housing everything. If the climate and lifestyle is worth it to you, you won't be disappointed. Also be prepared for a fast lifestyle. I personally am trying to get the heck out of dodge.
Good luck to you!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 13,897 times
Hi

I'm currently living in the uk and i have recently been seriously considering moving and working in california (im 19 and working independently as a plumber)
I was wondering if anyone hade any good advice i could us?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candis View Post
I've asked serveral people that lived in or visited California. The response that I got from them were:

And there were more, however, please let me know if all these stereotypes are true about California. I was really interested in moving there. But if these are true, then I will consider moving somewhere else.

Im Currently Living in Maryland and trust me im really tired of the change of seasons, im moving to California/first city is Los Angeles, if i cant afford LA then ill search for different citys within the area, ive always wanted to live in California, Maryland is nice but it gets boring after awhile. im from Elkton, MD

Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,936,928 times
Better watch out for the "Heedans"!!!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,053,982 times
Would all of these nice people on the CA c-d forum perhaps indicate to you that the answer to your questions is no? Or at least, 'not all Californians are like this?' [I mean,all of these folks taking time out of their day to assist people just like you with their questions about moving to CA-posters on this forum,who live in CA,are indicative of at least a percentage of people who live in CA].

Honestly,have you read any threads about CA? Or gone to any websites? Or how about taking a trip out to one or two of it's metro areas?

San Diego has a huge concentration of right wing christians;i am sure there are national conventions here with regards to certain denominations. A quick google search will list you churches and denominations.

San Diego has mainly one bedroom apts for 1k or less,sometimes more,usually on par with 1k.

By heedens,I think you mean 'heathens',and I don't think my husband [a CA native] or any of his family and friends who are natives,who are raising children here,would agree with this asessment of them or their communities.

Lastly,with regards to superificiality,if you check the boston or seattle or portland,etc,etc, threads,you find a main complaint of people not being willing to open to newcomers,of having closed social circles until you know them for a long time...in CA,you will not find this,though you may find that you don't see the same people day in and day out,unlike the east coast.
I don't consider this superficial myself [originally from boston];i consider it pretty normal for adult life...
that said,depends on your lifestyle and the time of your life-
people do get to know neighbors,and folks who belong to churches do have regular outings [you see the signs at the beaches all the time-horizon church here,etc.etc] with their community.

CA has almost 40 million people,and it takes 12 hours to drive from san diego to mt shasta,which is an hour south of the oregon border [i have done it more than once]...w/in that,you will find deserts,mountains with skiing,redwood forests,and coastal areas,cities,towns,and small outposts...lakes,rivers,streams,ponds,etc,etc.

Honestly,open up the wiki page on CA and you would get some of your answers.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-06-2010 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California