Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post

San Diego has a huge concentration of right wing christians;
Unfortunately, parts of Orange County are the same way. I think I read somewhere that parts of Orange County have the highest concentration of evangelicals inside the US outside Colorado Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 684 times
Okay, let me break it down for you. I've lived in San Francisco, Oakland and went to Santa Cruz for school. Also lived overseas in London and Texas, both of which I had a great time in.

(1) people in california are superficial, if you can't do anything for them, they don't want to be bother.
Look you can't generalize people to this degree - however - the kind of unexpected, warm friendships that I found in other places don't happen often here. You tend to associate with others who are very similar to yourself and people keep a small group of close friends.

(2) only rich and beautiful people live in Cali
Def not true, but those who are rich and beautiful love to be out and about. Being healthy is a great aspect of being here. Be prepared to be judged by your appearance though! When living in Texas I never judged someone who was fat. In Cali you can't help it.... it's good encouragement to be in good shape but honestly, many people take it far too seriously.

(3) very expensive, a one bedroom apt cost 3,000
An exaggeration, but damn it's expensive in the cities.

(4) people are fake and it is hard to meet new friends
Again, totally dependent on where you live. Compared with where I've lived previously I find this to be completely true though.

(5) Only for Heedans (sp), if you are in the church not a good place to live
Well compared with most of America the Bay Area may scare you, but SoCal has a huge number of god fearing folk.

(6) I will miss the change of seasons ( I currently live in Maryland)
If you enjoy the seasons, absolutely. It doesn't rain here for 70% of the year. I still miss it.

(7) everything is spread out, no entertainment
Spread out yes, but entertainment everywhere. Basically the reason people move here.

Pretty much everything you listed, while an exaggeration, is completely on point. The state is inexplicably beautiful... kind of a shame really!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,192 times
You know the OP stopped listening 4 years ago....

Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,892,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
You know the OP stopped listening 4 years ago....
I noticed this, as well ... but I must say it is a worthy issue to revisit because everything has changed now ...
1. everyone in California has now become enlightened, thoughtful, deep, respectful, intellectual, and altruistic
2. the superficial beauty of so many Californians has now transformed into the vibrant glow of true health
3. rents and real estate have returned to pre-WW-I levels
4. Californians are now deeply sincere and welcoming with open arms
5. the Hedonists of old California have all fled to Arizona and Washington State
6. the flora of the state has completely regrown -- we now experience colorful falls to rival New Hampshire (but without being followed by any snow -- just mild sunshine every winter day)
7. and, finally, it has never been easier to enjoy oneself in California! All a person needs is to read the CD Forum for accurate information and opinion -- but with one caveat: keep tongue firmly in cheek lest you bite it while uttering: phbbbbbbbbbbbbbt!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 AM

31 posts, read 67,414 times
Yeah Cali is a HUGE state. it really depends on where you are moving to. Norther Cali (where i live) is
completely different from Socal. Socal is Hollywood, materialistic and stuff. Whereas norcal is SUPER
liberal, technology hub (silicon valley). so you really cant generalize the state because its too diverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California