U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:00 PM

3,011 posts, read 4,724,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Anyone who's ever lived in the Bay Area knows that it solidly considers itself Northern California.
This is true, but I've also heard people from far Northern California laugh at us Bay Areans for doing so. Some of them consider us Central Californians. So now the question is, whose perspective defines an unofficial geographic designation? Locals or outsiders? It's the same question as, what is the "Bay Area?" Is Tracy really still the Bay Area? It's technically in the central valley, but people who moved farther and farther east from the true Bay Area consider themselves far East Bay so that they feel connected to the region. Those cultural boundaries and identities are always changing, and they seem to vary among people. I'd say the Bay Area is considered NorCal, but it's in itself so varied and diverse that it's impossible to define what NorCal even is. There is really no single "NorCal" or "SoCal" culture that pervades entire regions hundreds of miles long, only stereotypes that apply to small areas that we like to cling to. I certainly don't feel the Bay Area is any way connected to Redding or Eureka, which are really far away, but all are in NorCal. The three-region breakdown is really a bit more accurate but not in use.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,821,381 times
Quote:
Yeah I know that Santa Barbara calls itself Central Coast. I've not heard central used for inland areas often though. However I spend little time there.
Central California is used quite often around Fresno. I also see the SF Chronicle and LA Times use "Central California" to refer to inland areas. Likewise the state of California and federal govt agencies have used "Central California" for Fresno and other Valley areas.

For example, around Fresno the local Childrens Hospital is Children's Hospital Central California.
Children's Hospital Central California
and the local Veterans hospital is named "VA Central California Health Care System"
VA Central California Health Care System Home

And many, many more references than I can post, here are just a few more.
Welcome to the Central California Blood Center!
Central California Builders Exchange - Supporting the Industry that Builds Communities
Central California SPCA Fresno CA CCSPCA
Central California Alliance
UCP of Central California
Easter Seals Central California : Services for Children and Adults with Disabilities and Special Needs
Covering Fresno and the San Joaquin Valley in Central California - Fresno Bee
Rainbow Trout Stocked in Central California Waters (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news08/08143.html - broken link)

Old 03-21-2010, 03:41 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
This is true, but I've also heard people from far Northern California laugh at us Bay Areans for doing so. Some of them consider us Central Californians. So now the question is, whose perspective defines an unofficial geographic designation? Locals or outsiders? It's the same question as, what is the "Bay Area?" Is Tracy really still the Bay Area? It's technically in the central valley, but people who moved farther and farther east from the true Bay Area consider themselves far East Bay so that they feel connected to the region. Those cultural boundaries and identities are always changing, and they seem to vary among people. I'd say the Bay Area is considered NorCal, but it's in itself so varied and diverse that it's impossible to define what NorCal even is. There is really no single "NorCal" or "SoCal" culture that pervades entire regions hundreds of miles long, only stereotypes that apply to small areas that we like to cling to. I certainly don't feel the Bay Area is any way connected to Redding or Eureka, which are really far away, but all are in NorCal. The three-region breakdown is really a bit more accurate but not in use.
Tracy is not in one of the 7 Bay Area counties. It is in San Joaquin county & clearly in the Central Valley. People commute all the way from Modesto into the Bay Area for work but should not be considered residents of the Bay Area. But Antioch is also in the Central Valley or at least the delta yet it is in Contra Costa county [one of the Bay Area counties].

Old 03-21-2010, 04:08 PM

16,584 posts, read 25,899,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Good points. However the Bay Area is closer to having a distinct definition than most areas. There are nine counties that are called the Bay Area; Contra Costa, Alameda, Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, Napa and Solano. Sometimes a 10th or 11th is added, these usually being Santa Cruz and San Benito. Tracy is in the valley, not the Bay Area.

I agree that the northern/southern breakdown oversimplifies things a great deal. The Bay Area is best considered distinct. From Mendocino Co. north is best called north coast. Central Valley is best considered distinct as is the Sierra Nevada. Central Coast works from Santa Cruz C. to SB Co.

IMO Southern Ca. as well is too oversimplified. San Diego Co. is rather distinct from OC and LA Co. Inland Empire is as well. Imperial County has more in Common with Az. than with the rest of Ca.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Central California is used quite often around Fresno. I also see the SF Chronicle and LA Times use "Central California" to refer to inland areas. Likewise the state of California and federal govt agencies have used "Central California" for Fresno and other Valley areas.

For example, around Fresno the local Childrens Hospital is Children's Hospital Central California.
Children's Hospital Central California
and the local Veterans hospital is named "VA Central California Health Care System"
VA Central California Health Care System Home

And many, many more references than I can post, here are just a few more.
Welcome to the Central California Blood Center!
Central California Builders Exchange - Supporting the Industry that Builds Communities
Central California SPCA Fresno CA CCSPCA
Central California Alliance
UCP of Central California
Easter Seals Central California : Services for Children and Adults with Disabilities and Special Needs
Covering Fresno and the San Joaquin Valley in Central California - Fresno Bee
Rainbow Trout Stocked in Central California Waters (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news08/08143.html - broken link)
I stand corrected

Old 03-21-2010, 04:52 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,713,325 times
Quote:
Good points. However the Bay Area is closer to having a distinct definition than most areas. There are nine counties that are called the Bay Area; Contra Costa, Alameda, Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, Napa and Solano. Sometimes a 10th or 11th is added, these usually being Santa Cruz and San Benito. Tracy is in the valley, not the Bay Area.

I agree that the northern/southern breakdown oversimplifies things a great deal. The Bay Area is best considered distinct. From Mendocino Co. north is best called north coast. Central Valley is best considered distinct as is the Sierra Nevada. Central Coast works from Santa Cruz C. to SB Co.

IMO Southern Ca. as well is too oversimplified. San Diego Co. is rather distinct from OC and LA Co. Inland Empire is as well. Imperial County has more in Common with Az. than with the rest of Ca.
I don't know where I got the idea that there were only 7 Bay Area counties since you have listed all of them. But Sonoma really isn't a Bay Area county since it does not touch the San Francisco bay. I guess 8 counties make up the greater Bay Area.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:19 PM

3,956 posts, read 3,887,424 times
the far south is to over developed and the far the north is to desolate. I would say anywhere from Santa Barbara to Sonoma is great.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't know where I got the idea that there were only 7 Bay Area counties since you have listed all of them. But Sonoma really isn't a Bay Area county since it does not touch the San Francisco bay. I guess 8 counties make up the greater Bay Area.
Sonoma County is very much a Bay Area County. It also does touch the bay although not by much.

Bay Area Counties

File:California Bay Area county map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's interesting is when Santa Cruz County is included (like on the Wiki map) and this does happen at times and it does not touch the bay at all.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM

491 posts, read 1,210,271 times
Quote:
I know the geography says otherwise but rarely do geographic boundaries coincide with political or cultural ones.

The term "Central California" is a relatively recent one and for whatever reason, is almost always used when referring to areas along the coast. (You don't hear Fresno being called Central Ca. very often even though geographically it's almost dead central). Basically, those areas in "Central California" are the ones who use the term most frequently; from about Santa Cruz but more often Monterey to about Santa Barbara. Anyone who's ever lived in the Bay Area knows that it solidly considers itself Northern California.
Agreed.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:26 PM

14,523 posts, read 8,422,346 times
Quote:
Is Northern California a Better Place to live than Southern?
Yes! Particularly if you consider that Northern CA begins at about Sonoma and Napa Counties --> and northwards. Marin County is Bay area and is quite different than anywhere north of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California