Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Yes! Particularly if you consider that Northern CA begins at about Sonoma and Napa Counties --> and northwards. Marin County is Bay area and is quite different than anywhere north of it.
Napa and Sonoma are Bay Area Counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Napa and Sonoma are Bay Area Counties
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree; those of us who actually live up here would not be agreement with you, in my opinion.
If we were describing the area to someone unfamiliar with California, we would be using the terms North Bay and North of the Bay Area.

There's just such a different feeling and atmosphere and way of life. Santa Rose has just over 150K population now, and most people I know
would not call it a big city. It's the largest city/town north of San Francisco, but has none of the feeling or ambiance of SF, let alone LA or any place between.

This is pertinent to the OP's first question, though he seems to have abandoned his thread.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree; those of us who actually live up here would not be agreement with you, in my opinion.
If we were describing the area to someone unfamiliar with California, we would be using the terms North Bay and North of the Bay Area.

There's just such a different feeling and atmosphere and way of life. Santa Rose has just over 150K population now, and most people I know
would not call it a big city. It's the largest city/town north of San Francisco, but has none of the feeling or ambiance of SF, let alone LA or any place between.

This is pertinent to the OP's first question, though he seems to have abandoned his thread.
I can see that. However many areas around the Bay Area do not feel life SF. In fact, only the larger cities do and of those, Berkeley and Oakland perhaps more so because they are the cities that form the core of the Bay Area along with SF. Pleasanton, Dublin, Danville and Concord don't feel like SF either. However, I will only agree with you in agreeing to disagree. Sonoma and Napa Counties are in the council of Bay Area governments so at least the county administrations feel like they're part of the Bay Area. Perhaps this will change maybe.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sonoma County is very much a Bay Area County. It also does touch the bay although not by much.

Bay Area Counties

File:California Bay Area county map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's interesting is when Santa Cruz County is included (like on the Wiki map) and this does happen at times and it does not touch the bay at all.
duh! Thanks for correcting me again. I lecture other posters for not doing their homework yet end up not doing my homework

Sonoma county seems so far north but Santa Rosa clearly is in the Bay Area.

Actually Yolo, Sacramento & San Joaquin counties could be considered the outer Bay Area counties since so many commuters live there.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
duh! Thanks for correcting me again. I lecture other posters for not doing their homework yet end up not doing my homework

Sonoma county seems so far north but Santa Rosa clearly is in the Bay Area.

Actually Yolo, Sacramento & San Joaquin counties could be considered the outer Bay Area counties since so many commuters live there.
Yeah some like to say that Sonoma isn't the Bay Area. I think they want it to not be the Bay Area but it has always functioned as such (macrina this is not a poke at you at all). As for the other areas you mentioned, not sure I'd call those outer Bay Area Really. They definitely do share that commuter thing and share that "nor cal" culture and attitude. However, they are also very much "Central Valley" in their way of doing things. There are people who commute to the Bay Area from as far away as Redding.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 PM

8 posts, read 23,022 times
I would say give it more time. It's rough. I lived in LA a little over a year before I moved here and the people in general are definitely different then SF, I currently live in Santa Cruz and love it but career wise (artistically- animation) I would rough it out and live in LA. Rude people are everywhere!

and Phoenix, I went to college there.... does not compare to California.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
imo its better than socal IF you can afford to live here... being broke here is no different than being broke in socal and in some ways worse. If you can afford to live here, though, then imo its the best place to live on the entire west coast and certainly one of the best in the country. As for friendliness, it just depends where you live. I wouldn't call SF particularly friendly... Oakland is a lot friendlier than SF and places like Berkeley and SJ are very friendly.

Also, the job market up here is not doing too well unless you work in Silicon Valley... SV has not been hit hard at all by the recession.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM

62 posts, read 271,319 times
What about liberal, rural and open minded? Looking in Central CA. We need good schools (Jr. and Sr. High), able to grow citrus, apricots, peaches, vegetables. Madera looks nice and has some good schools. How are the people? Merced is beautiful and farmy, expecially out near the college and University. We want to be around a more Liberal crowd in our everyday life but we're not radical or anything like that. We're a Transracial family and my husband has a disability. We want to be involved in the community and schools, run a business. We don't want to move again after this. Anything?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:44 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwaswondering View Post
What about liberal, rural and open minded?
Grass Valley & Davis immediately come to mind.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,540 times
Though it's been years since this post was initiated, perhaps my input might help someone else. I grew up in upstate, NY and moved to San Diego decades ago. The weather is to die for. Never-ending beaches, sunshine, and good looking people. It's easier to stay in shape because there is so much you can do and the weather is always right for doing it. I think people also tend to eat healthier when it's warm and you wear less. Cons - IMHO - it's super conservative. We're talking 95% Dubya Bush fans and military folk. I felt like an alien.

Moved to Los Angeles. Again, the weather is great. Lots to do. People seem smarter, more put together, less conservative and closed minded, but the commute can be a killer. Getting anywhere was always an ordeal. I met some of my favorite people there, but I was in Topanga Canyon, which was perhaps an anomaly.

Berkeley was next. Aesthetically, Berkeley is very pleasing. Gorgeous views of the bay, the bridges, the city. Lovely parks, public stone pathways, rivers and stairwells. It is common to see a 12-14 point buck or doe and her fawns nonchalantly roaming the sidewalks or yards. Food is awesome. (Though I haven't found a Thai place to rival Saffron in SD) Proximity to SF - ideal. Super liberal (obviously) but I found it difficult to meet people. I thought they would be more friendly. I think they have a bias towards blondes, personally, though they are much nicer when I wear glasses. (Ironically, rather prejudiced for them to stereotype me but oh well.)

I'd like most to move to some place less crowded, less "rat race", where I could have horses, chickens, a garden, and live a simple, rural life. Maybe Colorado or Arizona. I don't know, Petaluma could work. I bet people are nice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California