Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times

Advertisements

Seems as though you don't jump on the ball soon enough, most classes will be filled beyond capacity in a matter of hours.
What I'm wanting to know is there any place here where this enrollment policy isn't as heavily prevalent, or will I just have to follow my "grass is greener"(aka.,move) mantra?

Essentially I'm just looking into taking nursing or respiratory therapy pre-reqs should I still be blackballed from truck-driving in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
The waitlist can be a problem but should not be a deterant. Many times you can get on the waitlist and still get into the class. With the summer semester approaching you may want to see about enrolling soon. I am also working on Nursing prereqs. Lots of fun isn't it? For me I am a hospital employee and love what I do.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Nursing related classes have been packed as long as I can remember(past 10 years or so) at local community colleges. You gotta be quick and lucky to get in those classes sometimes. Just get on the waitlist and wish, is all I can say, or perhaps enroll at multiple colleges(which theoretically should be possible) as there are a bunch of community colleges around

Old 03-22-2010, 03:12 AM

Not in the area I live, and unless I want to buy a car again, then moving to an area with more educational opportunities.
Not to mention this nursing goal is more of an interim, fill in goal until I'm grinding ten gears again.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not in the area I live, and unless I want to buy a car again, then moving to an area with more educational opportunities.
Not to mention this nursing goal is more of an interim, fill in goal until I'm grinding ten gears again.
Why do you want to change careers and go into nursing, with the pre reqs classes, the CNA program, and the two year program commitment, before you start working as a nurse, just to leave it when you can start driving trucks again? Seems like a big commitment and expense to do something that you don't want to do. On top of that to get the Associates degree in Nursing will also take your Summer time away from you to complete classes that you may not be able to complete while in the program. (If you don't get the Associates your Nursing degree is not portable to other states.)

Just another note, here in Ventura to get into the CNA program which is a pre requisite to the nursing program and takes a semester to complete, people show up at 2 and 3 in the morning to get in line to sign up for the program. They only offer the CNA program in Fall and Spring semester and once it fills up that is it.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM

314 posts, read 935,916 times
and THEN you have to worry about getting INTO a nursing program..they are so competitive everywhere. I have seen many people change there minds after being denied entry with excellent GPA's. Community Colleges right now are very popular due to the economy and plus with the budget cuts, there are fewer classes being offered.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why do you want to change careers and go into nursing, with the pre reqs classes, the CNA program, and the two year program commitment, before you start working as a nurse, just to leave it when you can start driving trucks again? Seems like a big commitment and expense to do something that you don't want to do. On top of that to get the Associates degree in Nursing will also take your Summer time away from you to complete classes that you may not be able to complete while in the program. (If you don't get the Associates your Nursing degree is not portable to other states.)

Just another note, here in Ventura to get into the CNA program which is a pre requisite to the nursing program and takes a semester to complete, people show up at 2 and 3 in the morning to get in line to sign up for the program. They only offer the CNA program in Fall and Spring semester and once it fills up that is it.
In 2007 I was involved in a rollover accident in Utah where another truck caused it, but took off and left me holding the bag.
I was subsequently fired for this, then blackballed when it came to getting on with other trucking companies.
I spoke with other ones nonetheless and the most promising ones still required me to have at least "3 years of zero-accidents since the date of the rollover accident" before I could be hired on.

With the obvious shape of the economy and the severity of the accident I was involved in, things are looking like a 50/50 chance of me getting back in once the rollover turns three-years old in October of this year.
All I'm trying to do is make something of myself in the interim so that my mind doesn't go flat.

Believe me, if truck-driving with a major carrier was optioned to me without problem, I would've dropped the thought of school and got on with trucking for good.
I also tried college out right after high-school and picked at it for a few years afterwards.
It just didn't suit me and that was the reason I went for my commercial-CDL in the first place.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
Get on A list somewhere now. Cuesta College near me has a highly impacted nursing program. They quit taking apps. for years. Find a college with a low enrollment offering whta you want and go there. I'd look into somewhere like College of the Desert.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:06 PM

Here in the Ventura County area Ventura College has people on the wait list for up to 6 semesters, meaning 3 years because the nursing program doesn't count the Summer Semester. That is after you have completed the pre-reqs which can take a year or two to do including going to school in the summer time. For someone starting out that is at least a 6 to 7 year start to completion time frame. For those that work in a Hospital setting the time is reduced. The state has a point system to speed up the process. If your grades in the core science and math classes is at or above the 3.0 area you can get points for that. If you take classes that are nursing based you get points for that. Work in a hospital and get a lot of points. If you have a Bachelors or advanced degree get even more points. The point system is run by the state as all Nursing programs are more or less administered by the state. No college or college has a choice in how the rules are administered but only can follow what the state has to say.

The point system gets you to the head of the line. For example I work full time in a hospital and have an Advanced degree. For someone like me I end up bumping most people and go to the front of the line. Lucky me. After you complete your pre-reqs, you get a number and based on your number is where you fit on when you will be chosen to enter the program. Even then some guy like myself can enter jump in and bump you.

If you are interested in the program then I would get into a CNA program and complete that and start working for a hospital now. The pay is not the best but you will make a lot more than minumum wage. I know some that are making between $12 and $18 an hour as CNA's. That gets you into the hospital environment as an employee. That gets you into the bump someone range as well helping you get into the program quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California