Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times

Advertisements

Sometimes on the way to fishin i would stop at the " Giant Artichoke" in Castroville. Get a bag of deepfried choke hearts....YUM YUM

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM

473 posts, read 1,697,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Sometimes on the way to fishin i would stop at the " Giant Artichoke" in Castroville. Get a bag of deepfried choke hearts....YUM YUM

Is this where they have the artichoke festival? The Garlic fest is in Gilroy.

Last edited by stingray427; 06-30-2010 at 11:24 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
$4.00 was alot for bait way back when. Squid was the cheapest and always stayed on the hook but the only thing that ate it was shark, batray, rockcod and crabs.
Crawdads? That's freshwater. Reminds me of the Crawdad festival in Isleton. It sounds to me most of these places other than the ocean must be located inland / freshwater.

I used squid sometimes on the coast fishin'. Good Bait.

Watsonville is only a couple mile inland, between Moss Landing & Santa Cruz. Pinto Lake is small with red crawdads. The state puts trout in. Used to be some lunker Bass thar.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I used squid sometimes on the coast fishin'. Good Bait.

Watsonville is only a couple mile inland, between Moss Landing & Santa Cruz. Pinto Lake is small with red crawdads. The state puts trout in. Used to be some lunker Bass thar.

How long ago was this? Is it still the same in these areas?
I fished up at the Rio Vista bridge last week caught nothing but small baby stripers.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM

111 posts, read 155,486 times
Susanville

Old 04-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Is this where they have the artichoke festival? The Garlic fest is in Gilroy.

Yep, we went many times to the Choke Fest. Lots O FUNS

Been to the Garlic Fest several times. I have Family in Gilroy.

Lots of Festivals in CA.

We love the 'Cherry Jubilee" at Casa De Fruta, over by Hollister. Camped right there. Good chili cookoff, music,etc, cherry pit spitting contest, hahaha

Old 04-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
How long ago was this? Is it still the same in these areas?
I fished up at the Rio Vista bridge last week caught nothing but small baby stripers.

It was four lustrums ago (20 year). I explored, camped & fished all those areas, Caught catfish & stripers along the Sac River where i could get at the water. By Stockton, out 9 mile road, over by Tracy. I caught the most in the concrete canals.

I talk to folks that still fish around there, but they are out in boats.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Out in their boats they catch some Stripers like in your pic, out in the Delta. They go after Sturgeon a lot too.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
It was four lustrums ago (20 year). I explored, camped & fished all those areas, Caught catfish & stripers along the Sac River where i could get at the water. By Stockton, out 9 mile road, over by Tracy. I caught the most in the concrete canals.

I talk to folks that still fish around there, but they are out in boats.
You really do need a boat nowadays. Is that area freshwater under the Rio Vista Bridge?
You can see lots of cars pulled over to the side of the roads then look down on the shoreline by the peet or those sticks in the water fishing. Looks like snag city.
Certain time of the year you can catch Salmon on the Pacifica Pier but everyone is wall to wall.
There isn't anything like fresh salmon caught right out of the ocean. I went on party boats then take salmon and eat it same day which makes the store bought salmon taste spoiled.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Yep, we went many times to the Choke Fest. Lots O FUNS

Been to the Garlic Fest several times. I have Family in Gilroy.

Lots of Festivals in CA.

We love the 'Cherry Jubilee" at Casa De Fruta, over by Hollister. Camped right there. Good chili cookoff, music,etc, cherry pit spitting contest, hahaha

A class act festival as I remember was the Capitola Festival. In Hayward there was a Avacado or Artichoke festival can't remember long time ago but wasn't high end like the Capitola one.
Brentwood has a cornfest where you can buy a large box of white corn that tastes great but by the time that festival comes around in July or August it is over 100 degrees up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California