Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,554 times

Advertisements

Hi, I should be moving over to the United States from Ireland at the end of may for 3 to 4 months on a work visa and have no idea where to go! I would be looking for a job in any sector at all, something such as bartending would be perfect. Could I get some recomendations on which cities/areas would meet these requirments?

- Hot weather
- 24/7 Sunshine
- NO rain!
- Safe enough area, low crime rate
- Easy enough to get both a job and a room to rent
- Young population (18-30)
- Relaxed/Laid back lifestyle
- Interesting things to see and do, museums landmarks, etc...
- Easy to get around in, good public transport
- Not too expensive rent
- Active nightlife

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
It won't rain in California as it won't be the rainy season so in that regard, you're coming at a good time.
Why not post this up on the San Diego forum?
There may be where you're looking for although do realize that the employment / economic situation in the states (and big time in California) are not good right now so i hope you're coming with enough money in case you can't find work.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:24 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaner View Post
Hi, I should be moving over to the United States from Ireland at the end of may for 3 to 4 months on a work visa and have no idea where to go! I would be looking for a job in any sector at all, something such as bartending would be perfect. Could I get some recomendations on which cities/areas would meet these requirments?

- Hot weather
- 24/7 Sunshine
- NO rain!
- Not too expensive rent
- Active nightlife

Thanks!
San Diego sounds like the best match, as the poster above mentioned.

But you're going to have a tough time finding a city that satisfies all of your criteria, especially numbers 4,5, and 10.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 PM

Do you know Craigslist?
It's a very popular and widely used web site and you can see what rents are like in San Diego.
(don't give money or any personal / financial information to anyone until you're here and know that any given place is legitimate ... most are and spammers and scammers are flagged and removed but be careful).

san diego apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

and if you're open to a housemate / room-mate situation:

san diego rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

Those listings are for all of San Diego.
I didn't specify the area but you can look at all of the listings and get a sense of the costs in the various S.D. communities and then inquire (best to do that on the San Diego forum) about any given location.
People may be discouraging ('cause of the economy) so be prepared for that.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 03-27-2010 at 10:53 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 10:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Of course late May brings June gloom, which could last for 2 weeks or 2 months, but I would suggest San Diego or Long Beach all things considered

Old 03-28-2010, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,554 times
Thanks for the replys! So San Diego would tick off most of my requirements then?

Yeah coyoteskye, I have been looking at craigslist for a few weeks now, all different areas of California and Texas.

I'd be looking to rent a room out for myself in a house/apartment with other people, as I would not have the money nor would I really want to live alone. I'm looking at around $400-500 max per month for rent if possible.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replys! So San Diego would tick off most of my requirements then?

Yeah coyoteskye, I have been looking at craigslist for a few weeks now, all different areas of California and Texas.

I'd be looking to rent a room out for myself in a house/apartment with other people, as I would not have the money nor would I really want to live alone. I'm looking at around $400-500 max per month for rent if possible.
Yes, it sounds like San Diego might be what you're looking for.
Texas?
Why?
I mean, if not California i'd recommend a few other western states ... but not Texas ... but i'm bias ... as are others ... maybe all others except for those who live in Texas ... but again, i'm bias.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 03-28-2010 at 06:08 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 PM

251 posts, read 767,742 times
Quote:

if you're looking at both california and texas, you might look into texas more. i say this because it's cheaper to live there (no state income tax) and more job opportunities. there are both advantages and disadvantages to both. but, if you're flexible enough, you can have just as good of an experience in texas.

but, that's not to say there aren't anything here in california. with seeing some of your requirements, you might want to look into the bigger cities in california and find their suburbs so you can be close to nightlife, but not have to pay a higher price.

good luck.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM

304 posts, read 931,432 times
Quote:

- Hot weather
- 24/7 Sunshine
- NO rain!
- Not too expensive rent
- Active nightlife

Thanks!
------------------------
SoCal.
LA to be exact.
Bring as much dough as you can, this is not a cheap place to live.
Welcome, you will have a blast.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM

colorado, new mexico, arizona, montana, (parts of) wyoming ... those are 5 beautiful western states (arizona and new mexico in the magical land of the southwest) that are not nearly as expensive as california and not nearly as .... ummm .... texas-y as texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California