Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 18,940 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest any areas to live outside patterson? I am a 28 yr old male looking for an urban area to live in. Something with a decent night life and things to do on weekends. Is stockton a good option, how bad would the commute be with traffic? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis29 View Post
Can anyone suggest any areas to live outside patterson? I am a 28 yr old male looking for an urban area to live in. Something with a decent night life and things to do on weekends. Is stockton a good option, how bad would the commute be with traffic? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
LOL.

You might want to think about adjusting to Central CA small-town life.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
David is right, take urban and lots of nightlife out of your wishlist. It is not going to happen anywhere commutable to Patterson.

Start thinking a Downstate Illinois lifestyle. At best we might be able to make some comparisons between say Modesto and Moline or Peoria.

What I might do in your situation is find a nice commutable to Patterson place to live. Then on Friday/Saturday drive to the Pleasanton BART station and take BART into SF for nightlife, etc. The only problem there is the last train home would leave SF about midnight.

I wouldn't look at Stockton, no real benefit to you for the commute distance. I know some nice areas around Stockton like the north side but you do not get what you would want.

I'd probably look around Tracy, Modesto, or Turlock for rentals. Tracy is closest to the Bay Area (although still a long way from it), Modesto is the largest (about 200,000 people), Turlock has a commuter student campus of the CSU system.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis29 View Post
Thats a hell of a downgrade from Chicago..Your better off looking in the Bay Area, San Jose, or Sacramento..Dont even waste your time looking at Stockton too bro.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Thats a hell of a downgrade from Chicago..Your better off looking in the Bay Area, San Jose, or Sacramento..
Just so the OP knows, those would all be about a 90 minute one-way auto commute to Patterson, no transit available (unless you can find a van or car pool at the employer).

It might be OK for the OP, but personally I wouldn't want to do that much driving everyday. Everyone is different but my free time is too valuable to me to dedicate 3 hours a day to windshield time. Then there is the increased commute cost with gas prices on their way back up.

I wonder if a job in Patterson would be worth all that unless you absolutely had to take the job.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,417 times
Patterson is a truck stop with a half dozen fast food dumps. You can go East to a Tracy or Manteca, which is small town commuter dump communities, or north west to the east bay area like Livermore, etc. Housing costs will be world's apart so might share with us your budget.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 PM

The job opportunity is gonna be too good to pass. I am able to think outside the box about the life style change. I just need somewhere that is decent for the time being. I will probably be out there for a maximum of 2 yrs then relocate for a higher position.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Budget wise i can do 1100 a month for rent..

Old 04-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Like I said before you probably need to think more like a Downstate Illinois lifestyle, smaller towns, lots of farming in the area, etc.

Your new info helps.

What do you consider a reasonable one-way commute time, 30 minutes? an hour? etc?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM

45 min would be reasonable for me.... Modesto has a decent population of 200k? similar to a suburb of chicago. How about safe areas? THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California