Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I've always found it odd that a state as progressive as California has an 18 year old age of consent, while many other less progressive states have younger ages of consent
How do you figure a younger age of consent is progressive?
Protecting children is progressive.
You know like child labor laws and laws against child sexual and physical abuse.
Children weren't always protected and still aren't in many countries.

In this case:
Young girls can be really stupid.
Sending nude photos to a man you don't really know is stupid.
Blame her for being a typical female who wants to please a typical male and who is unfortunate to be a teenage gril in a truly messed up media/consumer driven culture.
It's also a culture where predatory sexual behavior is rampant and where, imo, fierce protection is needed.
Also, i think the article said that this "relationship" began when he was 13 and he 20.
He may be a decent enough guy but at 20, maybe he should have known better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
I briefly read the article, saw she was 17(at least right now?), and I think at age 17 there isn't much difference maturity wise than age 18. Not much more left to teenage maturity(mentally and physically) between 16 and 18 for most people. By 16 you're selecting a career, putting together a list of colleges, working on your SAT/ACT, etc. So, yea, I think that a lower age of consent is progressive to a point, like 16. Lower than that? Nah, but 18 is ridiculous

Old 04-13-2010, 01:29 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
The law is the law and the police have to act on it. What are these guys thinking when they chase down some kid? The article stated that the two met in an online chat room when she was only 13.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
They first started talking 4 yrs ago when she was 13 & he was 20. They havent talked for quite awhile & they just started talking recently. The girl told mommy & daddy he was coming down for a visit & they called the cops. The girl could of just said "NO". One news article says the parents found out through her emails. WTF are they doing snooping through her e-mails ? Legal age of consent should be 16 like it is in most countries & many states. Now this canadian 24 yr old military guy will have to register as a sex offender for life. Who the hell did he sexually offend ? If the govts (politicians) had their way every man that looks at a teen girl would have to register as a sex offender. UGH!!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
They first started talking 4 yrs ago when she was 13 & he was 20. They havent talked for quite awhile & they just started talking recently. The girl told mommy & daddy he was coming down for a visit & they called the cops. The girl could of just said "NO". One news article says the parents found out through her emails. WTF are they doing snooping through her e-mails ? Legal age of consent should be 16 like it is in most countries & many states. Now this canadian 24 yr old military guy will have to register as a sex offender for life. Who the hell did he sexually offend ? If the govts (politicians) had their way every man that looks at a teen girl would have to register as a sex offender. UGH!!!!
If i'm understanding the story i don't think he should be registered as a sex offender but i also think that you have a very limited understanding of what it's like to be a girl who's hooked on a guy and an older one at that.
"The girl could of just said, 'NO'" ... well, that's really simplistic.
The man could have just said, "NO"!
He's 24 years old, knows the law and is, in a legal sense, the adult.
That you're so angry at the girl and her parents and feel so bad for the guy is interesting.
It was up to him to not pursue and if he had been thinking instead of following his dick he could have avoided this scenario.
Again, it's probably unfair that he be vilified and registered as a sex offender but ya gotta be smart about these things.
Why wasn't he clued in enough to wait a year until she was legal?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Your kidding me right? Maybe you don't have kids. The parents have every right to look at their kids emails, phone calls, everything that their child does. It is called being a responsible parant. You want freedom? Move out and pay for your own place. Parents should be more involved in their kids lives not less involved. I bet the amount of teen preganancy, underage drug use, alcohol use would seriously diminish if parents were "snooping" more.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
O-M-G! Can we say JAILBAIT?? This dude is a stalker! He was creeping on her when she was 13 years old and he was 20. If that's not sketch I don't know what is. They should search his comp and see if he has nudes of other pubertal girlies that he's sweet-talked on the interwebz. I bet he does.

May be back in my grandparents' days it was ok for a 24yo guy to hookup with a high school girl but today it's not only immature, but predatory. I don't care if you're as worldly as Miley Cyrus (who was 15 and dating a 22yo backup singer); when you're in your teens your ability to balance impetuous desires versus long-term consequences is hamstrung by limited life experience. Kids think that STD's, pregnancies, date rape are akin to being struck by lightning, and besides only happen to bad ppl who sleep around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: