Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Have you considered working for a hospital? Many are hiring within the IT field. You may find what you are looking for by seeing who wants your skills even though it may not be the traditional route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
thanks for the info. the search on that job site is a little funky.
Hopefully you can find something before moving. bhcompy's experience of looking for 9 months for an IT support position is sobering.

Although your initial post was about a walkable city and not needing a car, landing a solid job seems like the more pressing need. Of course if you can combine them both it would be ideal. But remember a lot of ppl would like that same type of idealistic work environment. And usually those with the best experience, education, contacts, etc... stand a better chance in getting into those job locations. Of course you never know until you try. Maybe there is something in your resume which really stands out to one of the companies in those areas. But as others have said chances are you will need to drive to work unless you get into one of these smaller towns/cities.

Another option to consider is living close enough to ride a bike. Thats a popular thing with ppl where I live and work in the Monterey area.

BTW, Indeed job search is pretty easy to use, similar to Monster, Dice, etc... Just enter what, where. The thing that makes it better is that its a meta search engine which combs the other job sites in one swoop.

Derek

Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hopefully you can find something before moving. bhcompy's experience of looking for 9 months for an IT support position is sobering.
And following up to this comment and sav858's, since it is relevant, in those 9 months I've had 5 interviews in IT support related positions and none of them were in places that would fit what the OP is asking for(2 in Yorba Linda, 2 in Irvine, 1 in Torrance, all suburban sprawl type cities), and my previous IT jobs have been in La Palma and Tustin. So, basically, every IT job I've had or interviewed for have been in suburban sprawl.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
And following up to this comment and sav858's, since it is relevant, in those 9 months I've had 5 interviews in IT support related positions and none of them were in places that would fit what the OP is asking for(2 in Yorba Linda, 2 in Irvine, 1 in Torrance, all suburban sprawl type cities), and my previous IT jobs have been in La Palma and Tustin. So, basically, every IT job I've had or interviewed for have been in suburban sprawl.
Yes, and thats the most realistic picture of what looking for work in CA is like. You have to be willing to drive the majority of the time. Next best thing is to land a job in a place like Torrance, then live in Torrance also. That way driving is minimal, you completely avoid the messy freeways and walking/riding become options.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California