Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I never said Los Angeles was not diverse ; it would be on any list of the 5 most diverse cities in the world. I merely said it was not the most diverse. Ever been to NYC or London?

There are inherent risks with posting about places 500 miles away even if I spent the overwhelming majority of my life there and still visit as often as I can afford to in order to see friends and family.

As for the SM comments: just because those people voted for Obama doesn't mean they don't have prejudices.

I will take more care to avoid anecdotal posts in the future.
Sorry for being so judgmental [you're cool, bro

Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Sorry for being so judgmental [you're cool, bro
I also want to add that - despite my many negative comments about L.A. - if not for the economic situation being even worse there than here I would move back. I genuinely do like it despite its failings and it is home.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
I also want to add that - despite my many negative comments about L.A. - if not for the economic situation being even worse there than here I would move back. I genuinely do like it despite its failings and it is home.
I thought you were still living in California, my fault.

It seems so nonracial in LA with equal parity between Anglos\ Asians & Latinos [the largest ethnicity]. There are more Blacks in LA than any other U.S. city but they make up only 11% of the city. Racial lines are blurred w/ many interracial families. The separation isn't along race lines but rather economic levels. Blacks & Latinos live in some of the poorest neighborhoods but also live everywhere else in the city.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
It seems so nonracial in LA
I wish it was like that in Sacramento when I was there.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I thought you were still living in California, my fault.
I do live in California - in SF.

Quote:
It seems so nonracial in LA with equal parity between Anglos\ Asians & Latinos [the largest ethnicity]. There are more Blacks in LA than any other U.S. city but they make up only 11% of the city.
I think you mean "any California city"

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

L.A. has the largest number of blacks in California but not the highest percentage. Oakland remains #1 for large cities, although Inglewood, Compton, Hawthorne, and Marin City rank higher. Richmond is tied with Oakland. L.A. is not on the lists cited though some cities in L.A. county are cited (Altadena in addition to Inglewood, Compton, and Hawthorne).

I was wrong about Sacramento, btw - San Bernardino according to Wiki has the 2nd highest percentage of blacks of large CA cities, Sac is 3rd.

Quote:
Racial lines are blurred w/ many interracial families.
Very true. Although L.A.'s population of African descent is still overwhelmingly made up of descendants of US slaves, while in NYC black immigrants and their children are now the majority of the black population.

Quote:
The separation isn't along race lines but rather economic levels. Blacks & Latinos live in some of the poorest neighborhoods but also live everywhere else in the city.
Of course, and L.A. also has the greatest concentration of wealthy black neighborhoods in the nation.

That said, the beach cities are all majority non-Latino white, even Venice, which is the only one which is truly diverse.

(warning: anecdotal content ahead)

In my subjective experience, there's less prejudice towards Latinos in SM (literally the most truly Anglo city in LA County because of its sizeable UK expat population) and PP because "it's California", but more prejudice against African-Americans. OTOH black immigrants from the UK and the Caribbean seem to be regarded better in SM (the British accent in particular seems to vanquish racism), FROM WHAT I'VE OBSERVED.
I may be wrong about this but a UK accent dispels prejudice, and there are British blacks amongst the substantial UK diaspora in SM.
But ultimately, as Jim Brown said, green is the only color that matters in L.A.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
Quote:
I used to live on the West Side, spent a great deal of time in Santa Monica, and knew people in Santa Monica. The "liberalism" is just a facade. The reality is that Santa Monica is a great deal more racist than anywhere else on the West Side except for the Palisades. One hears things said in SM that would rightfully be considered unacceptable in Culver City, West LA, or Beverly Hills. It's not Texas in 1960 by any means but there is an acceptance of racism that one doesn't find in most of the nearby communities. Most of the West Side has no tolerance for racism, something it can be proud of - not true re: SM.

Read some of the letters in the SM Daily Press some time if you have a strong stomach.

I live in the Bay Area and notice what's up. Like what I said about SM above, racism can exist in a super-liberal area. As for the IE - don't have direct experience but the IE board does talk a great deal about racial conflicts and the Southern Poverty Law Center even did an article about the IE's racial conflicts. I do think those are more gang-oriented than oriented towards the average person, though.
I currently live on the Westside near SM and have never encountered ppl that casually demean African Americans or affirmative action. In honesty, there aren't that many blacks on the Westside (excluding culver city) to begin with, so the topic rarely comes up in conversation. I do notice an antagonism towards Hispanics, but it's definitely not of the ship-them-back-to-Mexico Minutemen militia vein, more of jokes perpetuating immigrant stereotypes.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I currently live on the Westside near SM and have never encountered ppl that casually demean African Americans or affirmative action. In honesty, there aren't that many blacks on the Westside (excluding culver city) to begin with
Some of the areas around CC also (e.g. Westchester, Palms, Cheviot Hills, South Robertson, Carthay, etc.).

Quote:
so the topic rarely comes up in conversation. I do notice an antagonism towards Hispanics, but it's definitely not of the ship-them-back-to-Mexico Minutemen militia vein, more of jokes perpetuating immigrant stereotypes.
I grew up in MV and WLA and thoroughly remember some very nasty things being said about blacks despite the very liberal bent of the Westside, all throughout the '70s and '80s and culminating in some very nasty things said in the wake of April '92. However in subsequent years that died out on most of the westside, fortunately. IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I have heard those remarks being said a great deal in SM and PP whereas in the rest of the westside those remarks are very rightfully and correctly completely socially unacceptable. Perhaps you know different people in SM than I do. I have black friends who have said the same thing that I have.

I don't know if there's a way to really quantify or prove this, it's just been my experience, and I'm just stating my opinions based on my experience. I said earlier in the thread that I probably shouldn't do long anecdotal posts.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Wow, dude! Whenever I ventured around the Palisades and Santa Monica, I never thought that way. But I guess I'll have to be careful since those areas are predominantly wealthy and mostly occupied by these people.

Regarding the areas you've mentioned in your first sentence, I think the southern/Pacific portion of the Westside (south of the 10) has more blacks and is more diverse than the northern part.
Quote:
Some of the areas around CC also (e.g. Westchester, Palms, Cheviot Hills, South Robertson, Carthay, etc.).

I grew up in MV and WLA and thoroughly remember some very nasty things being said about blacks despite the very liberal bent of the Westside, all throughout the '70s and '80s and culminating in some very nasty things said in the wake of April '92. However in subsequent years that died out on most of the westside, fortunately. IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I have heard those remarks being said a great deal in SM and PP whereas in the rest of the westside those remarks are very rightfully and correctly completely socially unacceptable. Perhaps you know different people in SM than I do. I have black friends who have said the same thing that I have.

I don't know if there's a way to really quantify or prove this, it's just been my experience, and I'm just stating my opinions based on my experience. I said earlier in the thread that I probably shouldn't do long anecdotal posts.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
As are a lot of whites. It's Econ 101, not racism, Reverend Jackson.
I know ALL kinds of Californians are moving to Texas. Are blacks moving to Idaho and Montana? That's what I'm getting at.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I see many more blacks in yucaipa, calimesa, beaumont & banning then i have seen a few years ago. I guess they are moving east from the L.A. area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California