Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:52 AM

8,177 posts, read 16,575,509 times

Advertisements

Wow, 5:45 am and still late? That is crazy! Its really hard to predict traffic when you add in constantly changing variables like accidents. But 3 hours for a 1.5 hour drive? You may have to do evasive maneuvers like using surface streets more when the freeway is stopped. I imagine you just sat in one spot for a long time until accidents cleared. That's a nightmare! I would leave between 4:30-5 am and just plan to always get there early, do some reading beforehand, etc... Accidents will still happen. You cannot control that. But the earlier you leave the fewer you should encounter. Longer term it would probably be better to move closer to work.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 10:14 AM

173 posts, read 253,711 times
If you want to be in SC county and commute to Stanford, you should consider Boulder Creek. Your commute won't be devine, but it's a heck of a lot better than SC.

For now, you could also avoid 17 entirely and take 9 to summit to page mill, but you're still looking at a long commute.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:25 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,724,101 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuefry View Post
I am commuting from santa cruz to stanford mon thru friday,have to be at work at 7 am. what time should I leave SC to avoid the rush hr traffic in hwy 17? I left at 5:45 am and did not get to work until 8:40 am due to 3 wrecks.

Nuts! Crazy! Sorry, but wth? What do you expect?
The county is over populated and the commutes are insane and the side streets around the county are crazy now too (not to mention dangerous because of the way too many Silicon Valley a holes drive!) because far too many people just have to live in S.C. even when, dare i say, they shouldn't be living here. It's ruining the county. Well, it's already ruined but it's just getting worse by the year. And what about the environment? Y'all are really adding to an already serious problem. So, from this snarky S.C. county resident who is just fed up with what has happened ... move to Stanford! Every one wants to have it all. How about "live simply so that others can simply live"?!

Old 10-27-2016, 12:37 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,756,487 times
Well, this thread is a blast from the past! I was the OP back in 2010. In retrospect, I can't believe I ever considered this idea. Traffic was bad enough then, and it's much worse now. What would a Santa Cruz-Santa Clara commute look like on an average day in 2016? Two hours each way?

On the bright side, I telecommute at least two days a week now, and I no longer have a landlord.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:52 PM

102,076 posts, read 106,933,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Well, this thread is a blast from the past! I was the OP back in 2010. In retrospect, I can't believe I ever considered this idea. Traffic was bad enough then, and it's much worse now. What would a Santa Cruz-Santa Clara commute look like on an average day in 2016? Two hours each way?

On the bright side, I telecommute at least two days a week now, and I no longer have a landlord.
Thanks for the update. Glad everything worked out for you.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:35 AM

49 posts, read 82,541 times
I couldn't do it. I'd rather shoot over to Santa Cruz on the weekends than deal with that 4 - 5 days a week.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:43 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misaligned View Post
I couldn't do it. I'd rather shoot over to Santa Cruz on the weekends than deal with that 4 - 5 days a week.
Yes, I totally agree. Why spend 4-6+ hours a day in traffic? Life is way too short for all that mess and stress. Plus, by the time you get home you're so shot it doesn't really matter where you live. I could see doing this only if it was temporary. But then again look how many people are commuting into the valley from SC regularly. Its pretty crazy, IMO. I even know a guy who does it from Monterey. But he only goes in 2-3 days a week and telecommutes the other days. So the craziness is a bit more limited.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California