Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 PM

16 posts, read 88,308 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a few questions for those who have experience with CA disability claims.

Several weeks ago I had an emergency appendectomy and will end up being off work for three weeks to recover. This is the first time I've had to use disability insurance (I have coverage through work and was told to also file with the state) and I'm a bit confused by the disability claim form I downloaded off the CA EDD website. The form is simple to complete - its one of the sections at the end where I'm supposed to sign and date which has me confused. The section that has me befuddled reads "32. Declaration and Signature. By my signature on this claim statement, I claim benefits and certify that for the period covered by this claim I was unemployed and disabled". Does this mean I can only claim CA State Disability benefits if I'm unemployed? If so, why does this same form ask question regarding my current employer?

I also have another question regarding the calculation for determining the benefit to be paid. From reading the EDD website, the calculation is to take 55% of your normal pay and divide by 13. So, if one makes $1000/week, the benefit paid via state disability would be $42/week. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! This is the first time I've been hospitalized as an adult and its been a trying experience. I'm not looking forward to receiving the hospital bill .

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,216 times
I don't have direct knowledge but I will guess on a couple of things. Don't take it as gospel

1. When the state disability form asks if you were unemployed, it means you were not working, not that you were without a job.
2. If you have private insurance and they ask you to file the SDI, it means they will subtract the state's payment from their payment.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:47 PM

16 posts, read 88,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I don't have direct knowledge but I will guess on a couple of things. Don't take it as gospel

1. When the state disability form asks if you were unemployed, it means you were not working, not that you were without a job.
2. If you have private insurance and they ask you to file the SDI, it means they will subtract the state's payment from their payment.
You're more than likely right about item 1... I looked up the definition for unemployed and the dictionary says "out of work, not having a job, jobless, etc." which is misleading.

I asked my disability benefit company about item 2 and they didn't have an answer for me... instead, they referred me to the CA EDD office which I was hoping to avoid. Guess I'll be calling them...

Thanks for the response!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Don't divide by 13 - I don't know where you got that from. Whatever you get from SDI is not taxed so you will be getting it free and clear. There is a 7-day waiting period, and typically your employer will use vacation time/pay to offset. Typically, payroll will deduct 55% of your pay once the waiting period is over whether or not you file with the state. Any unused vacation pay would be used to supplement the 55% to make it 100% until it is exhausted.

Let me know if you need further info or clarification. Your company's HR or their STD TPA should also be able to help.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:12 AM

6 posts, read 50,613 times
Default California State Disability Amount...

Hi! I have a question regarding California State Disability. I rec'd an Approval letter on Friday & it was for $50 a week. Who can survive on $50 a week/$200 a month. I was wondering if You can Appeal the amount & ask for a different quarter's earnings that is not in Your Base period in order to obtain a Higher/Highest earnings quarter & thus a higher weekly SDI Payment...

Any Information would be Most Appreciated...Thank You!...

Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathen View Post
You're more than likely right about item 1... I looked up the definition for unemployed and the dictionary says "out of work, not having a job, jobless, etc." which is misleading.

I asked my disability benefit company about item 2 and they didn't have an answer for me... instead, they referred me to the CA EDD office which I was hoping to avoid. Guess I'll be calling them...

Thanks for the response!
Send them an email and they'll get back to you in a month or two, calling is worthless unless you want to hear a busy tone.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 50,613 times
Default California State Disability...

Hello! Im going to ask this question again to see if anyone has any information regarding it.

Hi! I have a question regarding California State Disability. I rec'd an Approval letter on Friday & it was for $50 a week. Who can survive on $50 a week/$200 a month. I was wondering if You can Appeal the amount & ask for a different quarter's earnings that is not in Your Base period in order to obtain a Higher/Highest earnings quarter & thus a higher weekly SDI Payment...

Any Information would be Most Appreciated...Thank You!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California