Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Aluminum bats are being outlawed because of the number of serious injuries attributed to the high rate of speed... it really has nothing to do with government. You might feel differently if it was your kid that suffered a head injury.

Have you nothing better to cry about? Conversely, wooden bats were pushed aside, in favor of aluminum, because of the costs associated with broken bats.
Wrong! It has everything to do with government intrusion. If one of my children, and I have five, had suffered an injury during a game, that would have been the breaks. I wouldn't expect an entire industry and youth sports system to wrap the children in protective cocoons because of it.

Can you imagine, in my days of Little League and high school baseball we had no batting helmets. Miraculously, the vast preponderance of us survived to enter adulthood.

I fear "society" is raising a bunch of scardey-cat wusses who need Mommy, Daddy and the government to protect them from life.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 05-06-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I disagree with you and Curmudgeon most of the time but like your sense of humor! I know how much harder a ball hit with a metal bat goes compared to a wooden bat but overall the danger to baseball players isn't that much different. If the legislature bans metal bats Schwarzenegger may end up vetoing it anyway. Arnold recently vetoed the law forbidding smoking at all state beaches. There is a balance of power between the state legislature and the governor.
Have to agree about how far the ball travels using metal compared to wood. Our son played ball for years, including pros (minor league only) he could hit fairly well when he was young, along came reality and thank God he was a pitcher.

Nita

Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have to agree about how far the ball travels using metal compared to wood. Our son played ball for years, including pros (minor league only) he could hit fairly well when he was young, along came reality and thank God he was a pitcher.

Nita
The one line-drive I remember coming right at me was a game during which I pitched. Usually I was a first baseman. I instinctually threw up my hands to protect my face and actually ended up catching the ball. Dang did that hurt!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Wooden bats have been around since the late 1800's, and they're what the Pros use even today. Besides, isn't preserving "tradition" what Conserve-atives are supposed to be all about? Or does all that always go out the window whenever the "Darwinian" subject of "competitive" advantage comes up?
Ok, let's bring back tradition like you think all conservatives want, not only outhouses and cooking on open fires like has been mentioned, but what about no more cars, no welfare for anyone, illegal or otherwise, girls can't wear pants to school and all kids have to wear sox regardless of the kind of shoes they are wearing (that means no sandles or only with sox) every family goes to church every Sunday, regardless of the situations and we can all our own food without food processors, blenders, dish washers, etc. (btw, I do most of my own canning) how about doing away with computers and a/c. We can live with just windows open like we used to. Do I need to continue or do you get the picture?

Nita

Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Preserving traditions like what -- roasting our meat over open fires, outhouses with Sears catalogs for TP, no electricity? Be real, if you can. At issue is not the material used for the bats, it's government once again being overly intrusive. But I guess people like you (guessing you're a liberal) like government telling them what they can and cannot do, down to the smallest detail. It saves you from the draconian chores of actually having to think for yourself, be an individual, exercise some independence and ::::horror of horrors:::: take responsibility for your own decisions.
Get off that soapbox before you hurt yourself!

Geez, you're complaining about "government intrusion" (on baseball bats no less!!), while social conservatives (the real "nannies") are doin' stuff
like this?!
GOP favors government intrusion into your life -
and this!?
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070h.pdf

Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Get off that soapbox before you hurt yourself!

Geez, you're complaining about "government intrusion" (on baseball bats no less!!), while social conservatives (the real "nannies") are doin' stuff
like this?!
GOP favors government intrusion into your life -
and this!?
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070h.pdf
Major issues, admittedly intrusive, v. minor nitpicking. I see the difference and we could go point-for-point forever.

My post had to do with one piece of legislation out of many I consider ridiculous, nothing more. Certainly not on the scale of bail-outs, health care, immigration, Wall Street takeovers, etc.

I have the capacity to see the intrusion on both sides of the aisle. Sorry about your myopia!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 05-06-2010 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Myopia: A visual defect in which distant objects appear blurred because their images are focused in front of the retina rather than on it; nearsightedness

i.e., "can't see the forest from the trees".... or the "baseball bats", as the case may be!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
[b] "can't see the forest from the trees"....
...from which, admittedly, most baseball bats are made!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
How long before the environmentalists are lobbying for the end of wooden baseball bats because of the trees used? The state will then pass a law that by 2020, all baseball bats used in the state at all levels (including pro) must be made out of a material that doesn't exist yet but has properties similar to wood. Oh, and nothing oil-based because that would be bad too.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How long before the environmentalists are lobbying for the end of wooden baseball bats because of the trees used? The state will then pass a law that by 2020, all baseball bats used in the state at all levels (including pro) must be made out of a material that doesn't exist yet but has properties similar to wood. Oh, and nothing oil-based because that would be bad too.
And ball players will either have to be totally encased in protective armor lest they might suffer a boo-boo from contact with the ball OR all games will played on a giant WII platform and be virtual, only!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California