Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:54 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times

Advertisements

High cost places like CA make sense for highly profitable industries w/high-wage jobs that need to be in desirable locales to attract workers like engineers or financiers who want to live/work nr PaloAlto amongst like-minded folks (and maximal career opportunities)

All jobs aren't created equal, nor are all workers or industries...for most, suburban Dallas or Houston are arguably far more efficient places for business than anywhere in rest of US

Low-income places like SF's EastBay or LA/SD region struggle with few high-wage jobs or major corporate HQs, yet high COL and taxes of CA

But no one is forced to live or work anywhere or in a specific industry/job...it's a free country...and people and jobs keep moving and are continually created/destroyed in any dynamic economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 04:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
It's really quite simple. People can live in Texas where there are few employee safeguards\ anti-union mentality\ few if any regulations on air or water quality\ pro-capitalist-anti-worker policies\ Republicans & Bible-belt types. Or pay to live in California; we are the polar opposite of Texas and the South. It really is a simple choice & why Republicans do so poorly in California.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It's really quite simple. People can live in Texas where there are few employee safeguards\ anti-union mentality\ few if any regulations on air or water quality\ pro-capitalist-anti-worker policies\ Republicans & Bible-belt types. Or pay to live in California; we are the polar opposite of Texas and the South. It really is a simple choice & why Republicans do so poorly in California.
It is never quite as simple as you think.

Yes Texas is generally anti-union.

That does not mean it is anti-worker. Unions are not so clearly pro-worker as you think. When a union acts to protect jobs at all cost - as the UAW has for decades, it inhibits the ability of a business to adapt to change. When unions fail to understand that they often demand things that only benefit them - they are a negative.

Unions are almost like a Prop 13 for employment. They preserve jobs that should be allowed to go away. They inhibit the movement of wages with the economy. And the reduce the supply of jobs. Most unions also value seniority over productivity and quality - which rewards the wrong thing.

Texas has room for improvement on environmental issues. But I think it is interesting that even though Texas is the nation's #1 energy producer, it does not dominate the American Lung Association's 2010 list of "Most polluted cities." That honor goes to California. 12 CA cities land on the 25 most polluted cities ranked by ozone. 11 CA cities land on the top 25 polluted cities for short term particle pollution. Texas on the other hand only puts 2 cities on the ozone list and zero on the particle list.

Most Polluted Cities - American Lung Association (http://www.stateoftheair.org/2010/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html - broken link)

As for worker safety - if you look at OSHA data, it appears that CA has about the same amount of incidents/cases per capita as Texas.

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/osh/os/pr087ca.pdf

Texas DOES have more worker fatalities per capita.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
5 of the last 8 Governors of California ran as Republican...

Doesn't seem the Republicans have done all that poorly.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

Low-income places like SF's EastBay or LA/SD region struggle with few high-wage jobs or major corporate HQs, yet high COL and taxes of CA
Two of the top 5 Highest Median Income California Counties are in the SF's East Bay

Median Income
1 Marin $118,704
2 San Mateo $100,165
3 Santa Clara $100,077
4 Contra Costa $90,956
5 Alameda $88,138

Old 05-08-2010, 02:08 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Two of the top 5 Highest Median Income California Counties are in the SF's East Bay

Median Income
1 Marin $118,704
2 San Mateo $100,165
3 Santa Clara $100,077
4 Contra Costa $90,956
5 Alameda $88,138
hsw's perception of the East Bay is very strange.

LOL

Old 05-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is never quite as simple as you think.

Yes Texas is generally anti-union.

That does not mean it is anti-worker. Unions are not so clearly pro-worker as you think. When a union acts to protect jobs at all cost - as the UAW has for decades, it inhibits the ability of a business to adapt to change. When unions fail to understand that they often demand things that only benefit them - they are a negative.

Unions are almost like a Prop 13 for employment. They preserve jobs that should be allowed to go away. They inhibit the movement of wages with the economy. And the reduce the supply of jobs. Most unions also value seniority over productivity and quality - which rewards the wrong thing.

Texas has room for improvement on environmental issues. But I think it is interesting that even though Texas is the nation's #1 energy producer, it does not dominate the American Lung Association's 2010 list of "Most polluted cities." That honor goes to California. 12 CA cities land on the 25 most polluted cities ranked by ozone. 11 CA cities land on the top 25 polluted cities for short term particle pollution. Texas on the other hand only puts 2 cities on the ozone list and zero on the particle list.

Most Polluted Cities - American Lung Association (http://www.stateoftheair.org/2010/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html - broken link)

As for worker safety - if you look at OSHA data, it appears that CA has about the same amount of incidents/cases per capita as Texas.

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/osh/os/pr087ca.pdf

Texas DOES have more worker fatalities per capita.
Granted, California is environmentally progressive because it has to be. Even though the onshore wind brings clean air in from the Pacific, the mountains block or funnel the flow into basins\ valleys. Autos\ factories\ low air inversions\ wind speed mixture create smog. The Bay Areas pollution eventually ends up in the San Joaquin valley & now cities like Fresno & Bakersfield have the worst air quality in the nation aside from metro LA. Texas does not have these geographic barriers and Houston is totally flat with regular rainfall throughout the year. Yet Houston, at times is even worse than Los Angeles. Why? And why does Texas allow it? There's a fundamental difference in a "Red" state mindset which basically surrenders all responsibility for the problems and solving the problems. California goes to the other extreme by sometimes over-solving the problems [ie recent bans on student consumption of Gatorade until after school\ legislation forbidding anyone under the age of 18 to get tattoos\ piercings & require minors to wear helmets when skying or snowboarding].

Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
I'm french and before I dreamed to live in California, it's a very beautiful state.But finally I will choose Texas (I chose 1 year ago) because I want a business friendly state.I think Texas is the California of the 21th century.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
5 of the last 8 Governors of California ran as Republican...

Doesn't seem the Republicans have done all that poorly.
California Republicans are mostly sane. That makes a huge difference. To win statewide office in California, a Republican has to acknowledge the priorities that includes the environment. This may not sit well with their political party but the only way a governor can be successful in California. The kind of Texas nonsense of interjecting "creationism" into school books and neo-confederate calls by the governor to succeed from the U.S. is dismissed as ignorance. Schwarenegger was the GOP poster boy until he became governor and had to make tough decisions.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I'm french and before I dreamed to live in California, it's a very beautiful state.But finally I will choose Texas (I chose 1 year ago) because I want a business friendly state.I think Texas is the California of the 21th century.
I think you're right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California