Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,695 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are wanting to move to a smaller city/town by the coast. We really like the Redwoods area but of course visiting a few times would be totally different than living in one of these towns. I work in the hotel business and it seems there are plenty of hotels in these towns. She works in dental so it's usually easy for her to find a job. But I would love to hear from some of you who actually live or have lived in these towns. What do you like/dislike about living in this area? Is the weather usually foggy and rainy most of the year like it is in the majority of the Pac NW? Please let me know your thoughts but don't clog this thread up with a bunch of arguments and quotes. Just state your thoughts and experiences living in the area. Thanks and have a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Haven't lived there but visited a lot and always enjoyed the northern coast from Bodega Bay through Fort Bragg and on up from Eureka to Crescent City. It's absolutely green and beautiful but the PNW weather with rain and fog (which I happen to love) can be a real problem for some. It's also quite depressed financially due to the restrictions on the logging industry so just be warned. Jobs aren't likely plentiful. If you can make it, enjoy!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
My girlfriend and I are wanting to move to a smaller city/town by the coast. We really like the Redwoods area but of course visiting a few times would be totally different than living in one of these towns. I work in the hotel business and it seems there are plenty of hotels in these towns. She works in dental so it's usually easy for her to find a job. But I would love to hear from some of you who actually live or have lived in these towns. What do you like/dislike about living in this area? Is the weather usually foggy and rainy most of the year like it is in the majority of the Pac NW? Please let me know your thoughts but don't clog this thread up with a bunch of arguments and quotes. Just state your thoughts and experiences living in the area. Thanks and have a good one.
I don't live in the area but have been through there. I could understand why someone would want to live there. It's a beautiful area. I always stop in Eureka and sometimes Crescent City any time I go through there. Do you plan on getting jobs before you move or do you plan to move and then look around? Eureka has an interesting downtown with a lot of interesting shops and restaurants. There is a really good breakfast place in downtown Eureka. Downtown is a nice change from the typical strip malls and McDonalds in a lot of cities.

I see you're in Portland. Have you considered cities in Oregon like Roseburg, Corvallis, Eugene, Medford, Ashland, Klamath Falls, etc. Eugene is still very close to some fantastic hiking trails and some amazing scenery. When I lived there, my partner would drive less than an hour and be in a beautiful hilly area with no one else around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Please let me know your thoughts but don't clog this thread up with a bunch of arguments and quotes. Just state your thoughts and experiences living in the area.
BTW, no one likes it when people clutter up a thread with useless posts like this one, arguments etc. It would still be useful if you could tone down the attitude. I see you doing that in other threads which you've started. This isn't a game show where you get to grill each person one at a time and leave. You also don't get to control what other people post in "your" thread, unfortunately. D'oh! I just realized that I broke the rule about no quotes.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Like: lack of traffic,small-town convenience. Dislike: lousy job market and economy in general and the weather. Only 3 good months.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Like: Beautiful when the sun's shining. Lots of public open space.

Dislike: The sun's not often shining. Chilly climate with no real summer. Depressed economy and State of Jefferson political culture.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Been years but I pretty much go along with what others have said;

the logging industry controls the area and with so many restrictions it seems to be worse than it was years ago (bad then) because of the economy the area could be depressing and the weather didn't help. Then you look at the beauty and sometimes forget the bad. One thing we did love, because of the lack of money our kids never felt they had to keep up with the Jone's cause the Jone's didn't have much to keep up with... One more positive: the summer and the wild black berries, what I wouldn't give for them again. We have them here as well, only problem, with so many deer in our area, the blackberries become their dessert before they can become ours.

If Eureka is what you want, take a short trip and talk to a few hotels, see if you will be able to find work, same with your girlfriend but don't be too disappointed if you can't and while you are there have a fresh crab for me.

Nita

magainck eh wis

Old 05-13-2010, 12:10 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Haven't been there, but can read the area for the more part. If I could go back in time about 25 years, I'd move there for at least a couple of years. Even if it was like it is now. My impression of Eureka, is that I'd have a slow time making friends. But I would find a few, since I have made friends even from my visits.

Its doubtful that hotel work there could compare to hotel work around Portland.

Weather-wise, I could thrive on the weather down that way. I like it up here near Beaverton and Portland, and equally as much down near Crescent City or Eureka. Arcata and Eureka would be my choice over Crescent City. And I like Brookings, OR, too.

Weather is a point of view. In my opinion, there's far more than a few good months down that way. I hike down there ever 10 weeks or so. And winter is my favorite. In fact, some of the outdoors folks I know who get into the forest down there a lot, say winter is the ultimate time in the redwoods. But that's if you are into that kind of hobby or excercise. If I lived down there, I'd be out every weekend hiking. When in Medford for a few years, I hiked every 2 weeks in the north redwood parks.

I noticed that Eureka and Arcata did have a fairly nice assortment of restaurants and pubs to go to. As a customer that is. As a worker, there are hoards of university students who may want many of those jobs.

The Carson Mansion in the image, would be an interesting place to get work.

A winter photo. Actually, I think it was the first day of winter in 2008.

Attached Thumbnails
What do you like/dislike about living in the Eureka to Crescent City area?-cathedral_redwood_600copy.jpg   What do you like/dislike about living in the Eureka to Crescent City area?-carson_600copy.jpg  

Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,903 times
beautiful, I visit often. But it can get cold and fooooooooooooooogy

Old 04-29-2015, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,499 times
What do you think of senior mobile parks in Eureka and Cresent City?
IS THERE EnOUGH TO DO FOR ACTIVE SENIORS?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California