Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,391 times

Advertisements

Several months ago, Highlands Senior Center, Clearlake CA was buzzing with news: It had been decided that a Community Garden wherein Seniors and Seniors' helpers, if any, could "rent" a patch of ground as their own, for planting needed things that simply taste better than the hydroponically-grown bleck sold in Lake County CA stores, which are also ridiculously over-priced.

Now when I contact the Senior Center and ask whoever happens to pick up the phone what's happening in regard to getting the gardens started, the person usually has no idea what I'm talking about and has to go find a honcho.
Result: nothing. No info as to if the garden will really be established, nothing regarding cost of rental of space, how much space would one "plot" be, etc.

Since I live directly across a street from Highlands Senior Center I am avidly interested in such a project. Sure do wish whoever started the idea hadn't seemingly dropped it like a bad habit...

If anyone has any true info as to the project I'd surely like to see it.

Thanks in advance,

ca215
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
"
David Goolsbee, a director on the board of the LCCC and community garden project coordinator for the co-op, designed a concept vision of the garden that includes a water feature, benches and an ADA compliant raised bed design intended to help aid an easier process in gardening for the senior and disabled populations in Clearlake.

The committee that moves the project forward includes Clearlake City Councilman Curt Giambruno, who worked diligently in procuring the information needed to install the irrigation system and Clearlake Vice Mayor Judy Thein, who was instrumental in obtaining the well agreement from the adjoining property owner.

Many other members of the community are already involved including Thomas Vallot, Russell Kramer, Rainbow Agriculture and Ed Stromeyer, who have all worked with the city on the infrastructure plans, making it a community-wide effort. For more information and to donate directly for these projects, contact Goolsbee at communitygarden@lakeco-op.org or Burton at 707-994-3051."

Lake County News | California - Community garden under way in Clearlake

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 7,391 times
BELLALUNATIC:

Thank you for the reply on May 12. I got advisory on May 27 that your reply had come in.

Thanks to you, I was shortly before writing this post able to send off a note to Mr David Goolsbee, with a copy also sent to Editor, Lake County CA News in which I asked questions similar to those in the original post here to which you replied.

I surely am wondering what has happened to all $$$$$ supposedly donated/collected for this very good cause and am also wondering why the info "pipeline," so to speak, has dried up in regard to the Gardens.

Bella, thanks again.

Last edited by ca215; 05-27-2010 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: grammar mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California