Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 PM

182 posts, read 647,190 times

Advertisements

My next door neighbor has someone living in his front yard. This man is literally camping out in a tent. This man has been staying there the last 3 nights.

What can I legally do to get rid of him? Its really creepy (not to mention disgusting). Please don't suggest talking to my neighbor, he is former drug user with anger issues. I literally believe talking to him would be dangerous. Is there a way I can report this without giving my identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
lol

Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
So why don't you just call the cops already? The thing is, it's YOUR NEIGHBOR'S yard! If HE wants the guy there, you're probably going to be out of luck trying to enforce your wishes on the use of his property. But you never know, maybe the cops will tell the guy to camp out somewhere else.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 AM

182 posts, read 647,190 times
I was hoping perhaps someone was familiar with municipal code and would know if it qualified. I tried looking up our town, but it appeared the closest thing might be a nuisance law. I'll call the police tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindblownHair View Post
I was hoping perhaps someone was familiar with municipal code and would know if it qualified. I tried looking up our town, but it appeared the closest thing might be a nuisance law. I'll call the police tomorrow.
Municipal codes are city codes. How are we supposed to know which city you live in? Every city has its own codes. How are we supposed to know what the codes in your city are? If you live in an HOA, you might even want to check your bylaws to see if camping out in a tent in someone's front yard is ok with the HOA. If you aren't comfy with the tent city going on next door, call the cops.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindblownHair View Post
If there are deed restrictions in effect, it will probably have specific language that prevents exactly this kind of behavior. Assuming the deed restrictions are in place, there might be several ways to enforce them without having to file a lawsuit yourself.

If you have an HOA, contact them and try to get them to enforce the DR. In some places (I don't know about where you live) the violation of a valid deed restriction is also a municipal ordinance offense. So, first call the HOA (if one exists) then call the city's enforcement office, then the cops, then if none of that does any good, call a lawyer and spend a little money for his/her time to see what can be done.

The reason I put the cops next to last on the list is that in my experience you will get a line from them like "this is a civil matter--we can't do anything." And it's better to let someone else handle it before the cops get involved and your druggie neighbor finds out you called them.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 05-14-2010 at 12:28 AM..

Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 AM

3 posts, read 27,082 times
Red face Neighbor with tent man

i understand how it might seem creepy to someone that is so very fortunate to not of lost everything and end up in that situation you can say oh that will never happen to me but in the times we live in were all a pay check away from being homeless do you think he enjoys living in a tent in some dudes yard i did find myself in a simaler situation and if the city would allow a place that homeless could be away from neighborhoods but at least be able to sleep there with out the police running you off its like dude have you ever gone hungry trust me you might not think it but you probably know some one homeless or it could be you some day if you could afford to buy the guy a hamburger wave to him he is a human being it would be a rightest thing to do and it would give the guy a little self respect back anyway just a little different angle to look at or do what ever but think about it please.....

Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalme8181 View Post
i understand how it might seem creepy to someone that is so very fortunate to not of lost everything and end up in that situation you can say oh that will never happen to me but in the times we live in were all a pay check away from being homeless do you think he enjoys living in a tent in some dudes yard i did find myself in a simaler situation and if the city would allow a place that homeless could be away from neighborhoods but at least be able to sleep there with out the police running you off its like dude have you ever gone hungry trust me you might not think it but you probably know some one homeless or it could be you some day if you could afford to buy the guy a hamburger wave to him he is a human being it would be a rightest thing to do and it would give the guy a little self respect back anyway just a little different angle to look at or do what ever but think about it please.....
You win the prize for THE longest sentence ever!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:07 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Most cities prohibit living in campers or motorhomes in the front yard or driveway. You might have a health code violation here if he is using a pickle jar. I would contact your councilman.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:06 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Most cities prohibit living in campers or motorhomes in the front yard or driveway. You might have a health code violation here if he is using a pickle jar. I would contact your councilman.
Pickles are illegal in California now?

And ask him to move to the backyard.

And I wish I could beat this just for
Twinkle Toes....
"You win the prize for THE longest sentence ever!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California