Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:45 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,487,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Doomsday safe-haven offered at bunker under California's Mojave Desert

BARSTOW, Calif. (AP) — A company with a doomsday plan is taking money for what it promises will be a comfortable, nuke-proof bunker under the Mojave Desert, with an atrium, gym and jail, and sloppy joes and pearl potatoes on the menu.

[more in the article]
Doomsday safe-haven offered at bunker under California's Mojave Desert - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-doomsday-bunkers,0,750214.story - broken link)

A few of the more amusing tidbits:

In Barstow, $50,000 will get a bunk in a four-person room. Vicino is still taking reservations: $5,000 for adults and $2,500 for kids. Pets are free.

Only $200,000 for a family of four! And your poodle, cat and iguana stay free! What a bargain!

Steve Kramer, a 55-year-old respiratory therapist from San Pedro, said he paid $12,500 to reserve spots for him and his family. He's stocking up on dried food and teaching his 12-year-old son to ride a dirt bike in case they have to go off-road to get to the desert bunker.

Biking from San Pedro to... somewhere in the Mojave? Hmmmm...

It does seem to me that once the nukes have flown or the quake has hit, actually getting to the bunker is going to be rather problematic, to say the least.

And the website is shameless... (and unintentionally hilarious):
Vivos - 2012 Prophecy of Doomsday - The End Of Days
I wonder what the owner is going to do with the $ when, in a post-apocalyptic world, the money is going to be worthless.

AND, who is to say your spot will actually be there once you reserve it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,253,028 times
Seems kind of pointless. Whatever the radiation doesn't destroy, an invading army would finish. If there are no nukes but just an invasion, I'm more likely to say 'let me at them' rather than hide in a bunker.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
A few of the more amusing tidbits:

In Barstow, $50,000 will get a bunk in a four-person room. Vicino is still taking reservations: $5,000 for adults and $2,500 for kids. Pets are free.
At the beginning you're calling your pet "Fluffy," but when things get rough you're calling it "dinner."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It makes about as much sense to me as people who pay $$$$ to be frozen upon their death.
Heck, there's some people I'd pay good money if they could do it right away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Well, if it's an airburst(more than likely), then we'll definitely have to steer clear of the immediate blast zones and keep a check on the Geiger counters for "safe zone" checks.
IMO a ground burst is more likely, e.g. in a shipping container in San Pedro or Long Beach. Any nation striking the US by missile or bombs is going to get terminally retaliated before they get to enjoy their victory. Nuclear terrorism is more likely and terrorists don't have missiles. But they do have shipping containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Seems kind of pointless. Whatever the radiation doesn't destroy, an invading army would finish. If there are no nukes but just an invasion, I'm more likely to say 'let me at them' rather than hide in a bunker.
Nukes are more useful as deterrents, or to kill your opponent dead so that they can't continue to wage war. If you want to invade a country to utilize it's land and resources it would be counter productive to render your spoils radioactive.

There is no real risk of any ground war in the US. Only China has enough troops to get the job done, and both China and US have nukes. Actually the same applies to any country: The US has nukes and you aren't invading us because we'd blow you away. No ground war.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times
I've started digging my own bunker. So far I think I have a hole maybe about 8 inches or so deep out in the back yard.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I've started digging my own bunker. So far I think I have a hole maybe about 8 inches or so deep out in the back yard.
That's about as far down as we'd get here before we hit solid limestone.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Default before I sign up

Before I sign up and pays my money for my bunk, here's the main thing I want to know:
will people who call California "Cali" be allowed in?
I'm just asking, that's all.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Before I sign up and pays my money for my bunk, here's the main thing I want to know:
will people who call California "Cali" be allowed in?
I'm just asking, that's all.
No. I think there will be a sign posted outside the bunker with all the rules and regs and that one will probably be at the top of the list.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
No. I think there will be a sign posted outside the bunker with all the rules and regs and that one will probably be at the top of the list.
OK ... thanks for the clarification ... just asking, as I said.
But here's the other thing, I forgot:
what about people who butcher the English language by misusing / misspelling contractions and plural possessives -- and (*cringe*) who end sentences with prepositions? Will they get in with?

Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM

I don't think they'll be allowed in either. But I'm not sure about that. I know people who are missing teeth won't be allowed in though.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
OK ... thanks for the clarification ... just asking, as I said.
But here's the other thing, I forgot:
what about people who butcher the English language by misusing / misspelling contractions and plural possessives -- and (*cringe*) who end sentences with prepositions? Will they get in with?
What about people who don't speak English at all?

Quote:
I don't think they'll be allowed in either. But I'm not sure about that. I know people who are missing teeth won't be allowed in though.
And people missing hair?

And do veterans get extra points?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California