Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I do take it well. I'm just tired of ignorant hicks coming in here thinking they know everything and then trying to bring everyone down. it's like all these out of staters just scout out threads about california just to bash. grow up. I understand people don't like it, but mostly everyone in here has done nothing but generalize the state and most of them have never even been here. That's why it's annoying.

Excuse me? You are the so-and-so who started this moronic thread and then you have the gall (look it up) to say we came to the forum to bash? Hysterical.

Every state has good and bad about it. Just understand that most people who don't live in Cali have no interest in living in Cali. I lived there (even in the nice, rich part!) and I found it destable (again, look it up). I found a different state with friendly people and conservative fiscal policies, and I am much happier here.
And that is a good thing. Why would you want a bunch of unhappy people crowding up your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,152,731 times
Ok there is a difference in people who have lived here and people who just stereotype and generalize when they have never been here.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to live in Texas. (I have been there) Just not my place. To each their own.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,194,688 times
Quote:
I do take it well. I'm just tired of ignorant hicks coming in here thinking they know everything and then trying to bring everyone down. it's like all these out of staters just scout out threads about california just to bash. grow up. I understand people don't like it, but mostly everyone in here has done nothing but generalize the state and most of them have never even been here. That's why it's annoying.
I was born in Santa Monica, but grew up and resided in Sacramento for more years than you where alive (maybe). I moved out 13 years ago, and have lived in three-soon to be four-different states so far. All of my family except for one uncle and one cousin (and me, too, I suppose) still lives in California. All of my friends-some of whom I have known since 3rd grade-all still live there. And since practically none of them are willing to visit me because of 'the weather' I go back to Cali a few times a year. So it is not like I am completely out of the loop and don't know what I am talking about.

Those are my credentials. I am not some outsider, I am a native. I'll talk smack all I want, and at least I know what I am talking about.

Trust me, it is a very Californian thing to believe that people who do not live in California are jealous of those who do.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:36 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,961,536 times
I've lived most of my life in either California or Colorado, with some sojourns on the East Coast and in foreign countries as well.

If I had to pick one of California or Colorado, it wouldn't even be a contest. Colorado all the way! I was born in California and currently live in Monterey. My wife and I love it here, as we just moved here from San Diego. It's a great town and we know we are going to enjoy our short time (about 2 years) here.

I don't hate California, and agree that to many who haven't been here, the place evokes a lot of curiosity. For others who have visited briefly, tasted it, then returned home, there may be jealousy even.

But California is simply not for me. I am currently here on military orders. I am not unhappy about it. But if the Marines approached me today and announced that they no longer required my services, I'd have the U-Haul loaded before sunset.

When it comes to a permanent place to hang my hat, California is simply not an option. Then again, when you've experienced Colorado, I really don't see how anything else could be!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 AM

171 posts, read 691,632 times
Default me jealous

I'm not afraid to admit I'm jealous. Me mother moved us to Long Beach in the 90's and I've missed it everyday for 20 years. It was the greatest place to me and I would like to go back and visit someday. Live there? Heck yea but once things straightened out there.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I was born in Santa Monica, but grew up and resided in Sacramento for more years than you where alive (maybe). I moved out 13 years ago, and have lived in three-soon to be four-different states so far. All of my family except for one uncle and one cousin (and me, too, I suppose) still lives in California. All of my friends-some of whom I have known since 3rd grade-all still live there. And since practically none of them are willing to visit me because of 'the weather' I go back to Cali a few times a year. So it is not like I am completely out of the loop and don't know what I am talking about.

Those are my credentials. I am not some outsider, I am a native. I'll talk smack all I want, and at least I know what I am talking about.

Trust me, it is a very Californian thing to believe that people who do not live in California are jealous of those who do.
K-luv, you sound almost like us. The same, born and raised there, miss certain aspects of the state, but being jealous, I hardly think that is the word. Most of us left volunterily, why would we be jealous. I am still not convinced one can be jealous of a place anyway, a place is not a creature.

We usually visit once a year and sometimes twice..

Nita

Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,152,731 times
Then why do people who have never been here generalize and stereotype? they obviously care a lot or they wouldn't waste their time coming over here just to bash!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,342,251 times
Quote:
Not sure who you are addressing that to , but I am neither ignorant , nor a hick . I am not generalizing anything , I have specific reasons why I choose not to live there , and I have been there twice , and traveled around the state . My wife and I both have family there . If you read my posts , you will see that I have NOT bashed California . Just the arrogant whiners that get their precious feelings hurt when others are not on board with their California love fest .

Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,353,885 times
The one question almost all out-of-state posters fail to address is why aren't people jealous of where they currently live [whether that be Colorado\ Texas\ Louisiana\ Arkansas\ Illinois, etc.]? And the simple answer is that any state outside California is left wanting when it comes to the outstanding beauty and uniqueness of California. We truly ought to make this thread into a photo opt and compare California to every other state. Who is going to post a photo of Illinois or Texas and compare it to California? NOBODY. How about we start with the Sierra Nevada mountains? Yes, the Rockies are an impressive mountain range but is there anything like Yosemite or Sequoia to be found in Colorado or Montana? NO. Texas\ Louisiana and Illinois don't even have mountains [maybe some low foothills in Texas]. The highest mountain outside Alaska in the nation is in California and the lowest spot in the northern hemisphere is only 50 miles away. What state has a lake like Tahoe that is 8000 feet in the high Sierra? NONE. How many redwoods grow in Colorado? NONE since they only grow in California and a small section of Oregon. What other state has a magnificent coastline that is less than 100 miles away from a desert? NONE. The list goes on and on but I won't bother to identify more because I would literally get writer's cramp.

The reality is that there is a lot of jealousy of California but that those who thrash the state don't have the guts to admit it. Talk about miserable people. They flock to the California forum like vultures and dump their hate on a state they actually admire yet do not have the character or ego strength to admit their own resentment.

Nobody from California goes to the other state forums to bash these states because we have no need to prove anything. It is quite clear what state in the U.S. is dominate in it's population\ culture\ influence\ incredible beauty. And we are not referring to Illinois\ Colorado\ Texas\ Louisiana\ Arkansas, etc.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The one question almost all out-of-state posters fail to address is why aren't people jealous of where they currently live [whether that be Colorado\ Texas\ Louisiana\ Arkansas\ Illinois, etc.]? And the simple answer is that any state outside California is left wanting when it comes to the outstanding beauty and uniqueness of California.

Tsk! Tsl! Ya fergot Missourah!

I'm jealous of where I currently live and don't want to see it overrun with Califoreigners or people from any other state. Granted, we may lack the grandeur of much of California and if relatively mild temperatures are your preference, coupled with gorgeous and diverse vistas, then CA wins hands-down.

Where CA lost us is the plethora of new, nanny laws enacted every year by a Legislature we both worked directly with for many years that we consider laughable and impotent as well as far removed from and out of touch with the general political leanings There are also the taxes, the overall cost of living, particularly housing, the higher than average crime rates coupled with and at least partially because of so many street gangs, most of which are ethnic, and the lack of assimilation and English skills of much of the ever-increasing foreign immigration, much of it illegal. That has also led to horrific problems in many school districts and higher costs across several areas -- medical, commercial, retail, educational, construction, etc.

None of this is meant to be CA bashing. We love the state of our births and have many good and lasting memories of our many years there. We also have most of our family there as well. What it's meant to be is an honest response to your questions and some statements of fact based upon personal observation and experience.

Back to where we are now. No! We don't have the vast diversity of scenery or anything else that can be found in CA. Hell! We'd have to drive 45 miles for Chinese take-out and it would be of dubious quality. But the Ozarks have their own beauty, somewhat of their own society, enough hills, valleys, lakes and woods to be calming and pleasing, wonderful wildlife and four diverse and distinct seasons that challenge and thrill us; not to mention comparitively sparcse populations with a much lesser cost of living and comfortably affordable housing. The "natives" are friendly, unassuming, welcoming and helpful, religious, patriotic and very solid. Are there rednecks and hillbillys? Of course. But we much prefer them to gangster-bangers and other dangerous forms of low-life. That's not to say that Kansas City and St. Louis are immune from that but each is also a five hour drive from where we live on the shore of a large, gorgeous lake.

It all boils down to one simple concept: What's your personal preference? CA is no longer our cup-o-tea anymore than Missouri would be many of yours. That's all there is to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California