Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,315,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Public employee unions workers with their unbelevable pay, pensions, retire way earlier than those not in their gravy train, and health care for life. You and me are paying for them to live their rich life.
I could go on and on but I have to go sonewhere.
There you go again! Your pension envy is showing once more and as usual. The average state retiree pension is $28,755 a year which is hardly a king's ransom. In our cases I receive somewhat more even though I lost half of my pension credits in 1994 in divorce and my wife receives considerably less because she had to retire early for medical reasons. Yes, the benefits are great and helps make up for the relatively lower wages for most state workers than they would receive for comparable positions in the private sector.

By all means, do go on and on somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 1,074,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
There does seem to be occurring a strikingly similar falling off the rails, doesn't it?
Both are equally as racist and angry about life in general.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:01 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,303,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
This is not a troll thread or meant to start a war but it's more about what people think. okay so Native Californians like myself, claim that when an outsider from another state bashes California or stereoypes it, that they are really just jealous and tired of whatever state their from. I want to know if this is true. Like what's your experience?
I don't think this is true at all. I lived most of my life in Ca. I still think of Berkeley and Morro Bay as best places to live. Perhaps Berkeley because there is so much to do and it was during my college years that I lived there. Morro Bay I love due to the great beaches. Hate LA and San Diego, where I once lived as well. People would say of San Diego, "Another day in paradise." I would say, "No. Because they don't have weather."

What I hate about CA anymore is the price and the traffic. If I could choose anywhere to live though, it would be Morro Bay, but we can't afford it and I don't think they have buses.

What I really miss are the great restaurants in the Bay Area, and there is a lot to see and do, but I hate driving to get there. We are living in OK now in a small town. I really love it here except for the far right thinking, but I found my niche. Most shopping here is done on line, unless you want to drive to Tulsa or OKC, and they don't offer much.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,247,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I don't think this is true at all. I lived most of my life in Ca. I still think of Berkeley and Morro Bay as best places to live. Perhaps Berkeley because there is so much to do and it was during my college years that I lived there. Morro Bay I love due to the great beaches. Hate LA and San Diego, where I once lived as well. People would say of San Diego, "Another day in paradise." I would say, "No. Because they don't have weather."

What I hate about CA anymore is the price and the traffic. If I could choose anywhere to live though, it would be Morro Bay, but we can't afford it and I don't think they have buses.

What I really miss are the great restaurants in the Bay Area, and there is a lot to see and do, but I hate driving to get there. We are living in OK now in a small town. I really love it here except for the far right thinking, but I found my niche. Most shopping here is done on line, unless you want to drive to Tulsa or OKC, and they don't offer much.
Yep born and raised in CA and spent most of my life there. Still call it "home" though I may never live there again ( I can afford to, but my wife, also born there never wants to return). Traffic and costs and a very anti-business climate have driven us out and reduced our business foot print there and we have cut employment there to 1/3 of what it was a few years ago in our facility that is still open there.

I miss the beach, but NOT the cold water and I miss the many things to do. I post here because CA is still home and I also want to help people view CA realistically, the good and bad. Many hate to hear anything negative as the see CA as "paradise" and it ain't. No place is. If you only hear about things from boosters of an area, you can find you made a mistake. If you hear about the good and bad, a good decision is far more likely.

Then there are the ones stuck in CA who are jealous of those who could move away, leaving them with the problems.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,771,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Then there are the ones stuck in CA who are jealous of those who could move away, leaving them with the problems.
No one not being held against their will by force is stuck here. Just need to get up and go. Many have done so before.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,303,286 times
You would be surprised at how hard it is to move, get a job, etc bigdumbgod. it takes money or guts. do as the okies did during the dust bowl and find out how long you last.

the ca. water problem is much bigger than anyone in ca. really can imagine. add fracking to that, and you will even have less water or already do.

the water at the beaches is too cold expatCA. I remember one year going down to one of mexico's and just loving the warm water.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
You would be surprised at how hard it is to move, get a job, etc bigdumbgod. it takes money or guts. do as the okies did during the dust bowl and find out how long you last.
Have known many who have simply got a one way ticket to wherever and did it. One needs to embrace the gypsy/vagabond/free lifestyle to do this successfully, thus needing to be more creative and resourceful than the usual need house+job people to pull it off. Sedentary life is not for the seekers.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,247,257 times
Quote:

the ca. water problem is much bigger than anyone in ca. really can imagine. add fracking to that, and you will even have less water or already do.

the water at the beaches is too cold expatCA. I remember one year going down to one of mexico's and just loving the warm water.
Yep in the US the Atlantic and Gulf Coast beaches are great and not too warm, still well below body temperature, but not as bad as CA beaches. I grew up in Newport Beach and was at the beach constantly, but even when young I did not like the cold.

Moving is an expense and a disruption to a families life. A single person can do it far easier, but once you have a family, especially with kids, wise choices become paramount and take a lot of work when thinking of moving. Personal satisfaction becomes a thing of the past and the families welfare is first. Taking good care of them brings the most satisfaction.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:28 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,384,812 times
I'm sure some people are. Just as there are some people who don't want anything to do with California, and others (most people) who don't really care either way.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I'm sure some people are. Just as there are some people who don't want anything to do with California, and others (most people) who don't really care either way.
Oh, if only more people would cease to care. But they do, for some reason, and just can't keep themselves from swooping into the CA boards trying ever more stridently to knock our fair state with silly opinions and random misunderstood factoids. Wonder what compels them?
Then again, we're really not terribly concerned. Mildly amused, if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California