Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,644 times

Advertisements

I need help! I'm a 21 year old female, currently living in Oklahoma. I'm planning to move to Southern California and I have no idea where to start! I'm look for a town/city that is close to the beach. I'm young and single and I enjoy nightlife etc. However, I'm not the typical 21 year old in the sense that, this is all I'm looking for! I do not want a party town. I would prefer a place that combines night life and community. I think Pacific Beach sounds to crazy and Ventura sounds too slow. Does anyone have any recommendations? Please help! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
I live very near Pacific Beach. Some parts of PB are party central and some are quite boring. Try North PB. Right near the La Jolla border. Great beach living without all the parties.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Check out the South Bay - Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo Beaches. In San Diego check out Encinitas, La Jolla, Cardiff.

Although after growning up in SoCal and visiting all the the beach communities I would say you are going to find some degree of a partying lifestyle in all of them. But some may just be more in your face verses subdued/descrete. Some don't have much of a nightlife per say. I guess it depends what you are looking for. Hermosa, my hometown, is pretty lively at night with bars, bands, the comedy club, etc... but more layed back than say Hollywood or the West Side/Santa Monica would be.

Beyond that it will be what you make of it and who you choose to associate with. Since you are young you may find meeting people your own age is easier in a number of places beyond the bars/clubs. Taking a class here and there at your local college is a good place to make friends, joining a social group of common interests, a church, synagogue, etc...

My 2c,

Derek

Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanGirl07 View Post
I need help! I'm a 21 year old female, currently living in Oklahoma. I'm planning to move to Southern California and I have no idea where to start! I'm look for a town/city that is close to the beach. I'm young and single and I enjoy nightlife etc. However, I'm not the typical 21 year old in the sense that, this is all I'm looking for! I do not want a party town. I would prefer a place that combines night life and community. I think Pacific Beach sounds to crazy and Ventura sounds too slow. Does anyone have any recommendations? Please help! Thank you
Almost any beach community will offer a little party life, of course some more than others. I love Hermosa/Redondo area. The first thing you need to do is decide what your housing allowance is, and where you can get a job, if you can get one. Jobs are very hard to find and the cost of living (moving from OK) might surprise you.

Nita

Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,644 times
Thank you all very much for your help! I have looked at Hermosa quite a bit actually, so I will make sure and check out all the others. Nita, I'm aware of the cost of living, but I will make sure to really consider than before I make any major decisions, thank you! .

-Katie

Old 06-30-2010, 02:13 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
The op seems immature to me. Her best bet is to stay in ok cause i dont think she has what it takes to make it in ca. I see women like her all the time & they always (most of them) end up moving back to where they came from.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The op seems immature to me. Her best bet is to stay in ok cause i dont think she has what it takes to make it in ca. I see women like her all the time & they always (most of them) end up moving back to where they came from.
Why is this always the response from Cal. natives? It doesn't make any sense. She wants to go, why are you discouraging her?! Let her experience California and if she doesn't like it, she'll do what she thinks is best. But that gives you no right to automatically assume she is immature or blind to the consequences. I'm absolutely sure she has done research on what she is doing and the consequences. You should not be discouraging her because you are not in her shoes! Your already in California! You have seen the best and worse California has to offer. She hasn't. So quit it and let her live!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM

205 posts, read 211,322 times
Come on out, I think San Diego would be good for you. Basically anywhere in CA will be better than Oklahoma. Brace for impact.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
How do you differentiate a 'party town' as opposed to a town with lots of nightlife?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Oklahoma is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California