Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Work in science field hoping to relocate from Maryland, tired of snow, seeking information on California living, cost of homes, commuting, best areas to settle

Old 06-17-2007, 07:54 AM

14 posts, read 44,964 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am wanting very much to move to beautiful California in the coming year but am concerned about housing costs. I work in science and California seems to be the place for my field. Does anyone know a "good" area to land? I would appreciate any suggestions and experience others may have that could guide me. I am orginally from MA and 4 years ago, moved to MD-but I HATE THE COLD!!! and NEVER want to see snow again in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 08:15 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Because of the traffic, it is best stay close to your job. As far as housing cost goes, it is a relatively good time to move to CA because the RE market is being decimated. However, I would recommend that you rent first and wait for prices to come down further. As have been said before, stay away from the major gang areas such Compton and South Central.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,085 times
What sort of science? In general San Diego area, Orange County and Bay area are good for science related jobs. There are many nice places to leave in all of those areas. And to echo david1 don't buy a home prices may get 50% haircuts in some areas over the next few years. I don't think rents in California are going to be much different then rents in MA. In a safe area that isn't in the middle of no where you can get 1-bedrooms from $900 to $1800 depending on the area.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:33 PM

38 posts, read 105,815 times
Hello Humanoid,

I lived in the Bay Area for over 20 years but moved away for various reasons. You're going to find that the cost of living in California is extremely high. I left there in 1990 where median priced homes were at $265K with a $65,000 annual income. I've always though that to be a little disproportionate. If you command a $100+ income, I'd say you'll live pretty good. The reality is...the more money you make, the better you're going to live.

Now, as far as location, there are many. I would pinpoint some of the companies that have a need for your expertise and focus on those areas. I would also consider what's important to you, such as the kind of people you are most comfortable being around and whether those areas provide you with what you consider to be important in your life. Obviously, not all are the same.

I used to feel that the great part about living in California is that you're so closed to everything. Whether you're into Kayaking, bicycling, wine tasting, water/snow skiing/boating, sailing, live music, quaint dinners with someone special overlooking the ocean. No matter what it is, all would be within a short driving distance and depending on where you reside, possibly...walking distance.

The California I left behind, I miss a great deal and unfortunately I am not sure if I'll ever get to return. A lot has changed there over the years as is true with most everything but for me, contrary to all the negatives you hear about it...life there was wonderful.

If you decide to go and embrace the California life, I would certainly recommend the San Francisco Bay Area and I will at a minimum, be envious. This is, of course, earthquake country. If you choose to live in the City, getting around is quite accessible with BART, Muni and other forms of public transportation available to you. I've known many people that never bought a car because they used only public transportation and I guess never felt the need to leave the city. I personally feel a car is a must because there is so much to see. You might also consider Napa or Mill Valley, Sausalito or the Tiberon areas which are across the Golden Gate Bridge, north of SF or an area such as Palo Alto, which is south. If you chose the East Bay (Oakland side), consider the San Joaquin area (great if you like boating/sailing), such as Pittsburg or Antioch. Pittsburg had one of the best Mexican Restaurants in Old Town, down by the Marina. I could go on but I'm making myself homesick.

In summary, make a decision based on what's important to you and/or your family. There are many communities from which to choose from but the ultimate decision is yours. You owe it to yourself to be all you can be and California will most certainly give you that opportunity (at least, it did). I hope I have helped a little in your decision making. Best of luck to you...

Old 06-17-2007, 09:42 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
A key question is what would you like out of living in California? If you want the beach to be a major item in your life it would probably make more sense to move to southern California. If you like a Boston type of cosmopolitan atmosphere, you may prefer San Francisco's bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California