Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times

Advertisements

California is poised to become the first state in the nation to ban plastic shopping bags, a move hailed by environmentalists and grocers alike.The state Senate approved the ban on Friday, sending it to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's office for his signature.
Schwarzenegger praised the bill's passage, calling it "a great victory for our environment."

California poised to ban plastic bags - Environment- msnbc.com

Good for California. Damn things break all the time anyway. Plastic water bottles should be banned as well.

Not that long ago in NYC a blind test was done on bottled water. Some of the most popular bottled waters were involved as well as NYC tap water.

And which water did most choose? Yep, the tap water. Most of your bottled water is nothing but filtered tap water so go buy yourself a PUR (or some other) water filter and save yourself some money and the environment your litter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:06 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
I do applaud this move, since plastic bags seem to accumulate in my house nowadays anyways (which we reuse as trash bags or any other kind of bag).

However, the most environmentally sound thing to do is ban all humans since its those species of mammals that have a penchant for polluting everywhere. Wait..if some legislator is reading this website, I was kidding. Please don't propose something like that.

I honestly wish there was some sort of invention to get rid of the damn smog.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
I like plastic bags because I can carry a ton of them at once.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I like plastic bags because I can carry a ton of them at once.
Hope you recycle them at the store.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I "recycle" mine with dog waste. I have canvas shopping bags but I don't bring them once every five or so times so I have something to pick up after my dog.

Of course plastic bags will still be sold at pets stores for just this purpose - - probably at newly raised prices!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
The stores will charge 5-10 cents per paper bag. That will add up over time if you shop often. Ill just spend 1.00 & buy the enviroment canvas bag & use it everytime i shop including in walmart. When overpriced fresh n easy opened up in calimesa they offered 1 free canvas bag with a min 20.00 purchase. I purchased 20.00 of food & they told me they are out of the canvas bags. It was a first come first served basis. I havent shopped their since. Ill get me one next week. Its worth it for .99 plus rip off tax.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not to be a downer, but you know that recycling plastic bags costs more to the environment than it does to just throw them away?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The stores will charge 5-10 cents per paper bag. That will add up over time if you shop often. Ill just spend 1.00 & buy the enviroment canvas bag & use it everytime i shop including in walmart. When overpriced fresh n easy opened up in calimesa they offered 1 free canvas bag with a min 20.00 purchase. I purchased 20.00 of food & they told me they are out of the canvas bags. It was a first come first served basis. I havent shopped their since. Ill get me one next week. Its worth it for .99 plus rip off tax.
Did you hear about the study in Canada that found reusable grocery bags are a great way to spread bacteria? I supposed you could wash them frequently, but then they'll complain about people using water and energy. Is there any level of micro managing of our lives these a-holes won't go to? How much do you want to bet that disposable diapers are next on the hit list?

What's even dumber is that it was the same enviro-nannys that told us we were killing the planet in the 80's by using paper bags and that we must all switch to plastic.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 06-04-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Did you hear about the study in Canada that found reusable grocery bags are a great way to spread bacteria? I supposed you could wash them frequently, but then they'll complain about people using water and energy. Is there any level of micro managing of our lives these a-holes won't go to? How much do you want to bet that disposable diapers are next on the hit list?
Well, I know that a lot of people are already against disposable diapers because they just cost too dang much.

Anyways, the vinyl bags I have from costco can get the hose and a some dish soap.. The canvas ones are a bit harder to clean

Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:

What's even dumber is that it was the same enviro-nannys that told us we were killing the planet in the 80's by using paper bags and that we must all switch to plastic.
I agree with you but ca always has to be the first to do everything & many states do follow (for the most part). I despise the legislature & the looney enviro-nannys. Ca is over-lawed, over-regulated & a nanny governed state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California