Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times

Advertisements

We've rented several places in California using Craigslist. I think it's a great tool. I don't know if it's the go-to site in some of the smaller towns, but it seems like everything in the bigger cities gets listed there. There are some scams out there but they're generally pretty obvious; take some time looking at as many listings as you can for a specific area to get a sense of what the going rate will be, and if you see something too good to be true than it probably is. (besides the outright scams, someone on the LA board also fairly recently ran into what seemed like a great price for a rental in Santa Monica, then realized the fine print said the advertised rate was for the week, not month). But while I wouldn't rent from CL sight-unseen, and I'd definitely use common sense and be wary, I wouldn't be afraid to use them as a resource, either. Our experiences have been positive.

Many smaller newspapers also have their classifieds online, and often real estate agencies also have some rental listings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,797 times
If your ever in CA,have a look at Bakersfield,in my opinion I think it's a great place to raise a family.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 PM

7 posts, read 10,214 times
Ridgecrest is, hands down, one of the best places in California to live. Yes, it is hot. Yes, it is small. But as far as cost of living, schools, environment, and location- it cannot be beat. The average house (purchase) is less than 200K, as for a rent you would be looking at around 1000-1500 for a decent 3 bedroom house- a lot of rentals are owned by landlords in the San Diego area.

Now, on the the city. Ridgecrest is recession proof. In a state that is seeing record unemployment- Ridgecrest is booming. This is because the town is host to the China Lake Naval Base, the largest piece of property the navy owns. There they design and build bombs, planes, and just have a wide spread department of defense mission. Because of the constant flow of money and military personnel, the town has stayed relatively stable. The population is roughly 28,000. Most of the residents work on base and were brought here through either the Navy or Marines (the base plays host to both- inevitably, a good portion of those stationed with families do end up staying here). I have found the town to be extremely tolerant and very, very welcoming. This town is the type of place where people will nod their head and say hello-not because they know you- but just because you two are walking down the street together. In addition, because of the large amount of military personnel- our town has become extremely diverse. You will find people from all walks of life here.

The location of Ridgecrest is absolutely amazing. We are four hours from San Diego, 2 and half to 3 hours from LA, four hours from Vegas. We are next door neighbors to Mt. Whitney and just a few hour drive from Mammoth, a major ski town. The benefit of living here is that you are close enough to the "action" but do not suffer from the high cost of living, traffic, smog, and crowds. In addition, dirt bikes and motorcross are HUGE here and very welcomed. We have plenty of areas to hike, camp, fish, and just enjoy the outdoors.

Now, the weather is not for the light of heart. Some think the locals are joking when we say it hits over 100 daily after June 1st... we aren't. It is HOT here. Luckily, it is a dry heat. No humidity is always good but atleast our other three seasons are extremely mild. You can see people in shorts and flip flops in December.

You mentioned you have school age children- I'll be honest, the schools here are average. But the teachers are amazing, overall the students are good, and town itself cares about its schools a great deal. Just ask a local about their school experience and any will tell you, it was great.

Ridgecrest is a small town surrounded by big things. This is a loving, welcoming community. It provides all the amenities of a big town just a couple hours away without the hassle. As a born and raised Ridgecrest resident, believe me, you will not find a better place in California to raise your family.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaLovesDenver View Post
Ridgecrest is, hands down, one of the best places in California to live.
Then why is your name "DanaLovesDenver"???

For more on Ridgecrest:
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ml#post1678094

Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 PM

7 posts, read 10,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Then why is your name "DanaLovesDenver"???

For more on Ridgecrest:
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ml#post1678094
I mentioned just in California... not in the world. But my name is "DanaLovesDenver" because I love Colorado and Denver, in addition, my entire family lives in the Denver area. If I wasn't living here, I'd be living there.

I also happen to love winter and snow and all that business. Ridgecrest, well, you know how it is.

Last edited by DanaLovesDenver; 07-23-2010 at 12:05 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,859 times
i live in a city called valencia. its by magic mountain. it is a very safe..middle to upper class town that has barely any crime if any at all. It is very well kept and the schools are some of the top schools in the country. you should def. check it out. 3 bedrooms will cost you about 2000, but if you get lucky you can find them for a little cheaper.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Trona. The kids will become very adept recyclers.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM

514 posts, read 686,769 times
Ah, yes, sweet Trona. Lake front property is cheap.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I suggest Oxnard on the North end. They have a nice new aparment building with 3 bed 2 bath that would be in your range.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
A few monthes and no reply from the OP, I'm a thinking this one is dead but i would pick Oildale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California