Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Make me the fourth to join the chorus. The two major parties have polarized.

Both parties need to look at the larger number of Californians dropping party affiliation and reregistering as decline to state. Neither major party is listening to the trend, they aren't leaving one party for another, they are leaving both parties.
I don't necessarily think that leaving the 2 main political parties is a bad thing. If people want to be independent and vote for who they believe in, I see as a positive thing. Rather than just voting straight ticket. The difference between the GOP in California and the Democratic party is that Republican don't win over the independents. Doesn't that signal the loss of independent support for the GOP whether they were once Republican or Democrat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 PM

744 posts, read 1,846,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Can you provide examples where Democrats have abandon moderates in their party? I don't know much about Jerry Brown when he was governor after Reagan. Was there much difference in the way they governed?

I think one reason the Democratic party is so powerful in California is that they have wide segments of the populations that, at times, disagree. Prop 8 is a good example how conservative Democrats parted with their party. What concerns me about the Republican party is the willingness to exclude any who vary from the ideology. Isn't that a relatively new thing in the GOP? Aren't you concerned that previous Republican governors would likely not be acceptable today?
OMG, California is one of the most left-wing states in the nation. Home to Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, hippies, sanctuary cities, etc. Don't give me that Democrats are more moderate crap. Reagan was a conservative Republican, Arnold is a moderate but he has not been excluded from the Republicans.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I don't necessarily think that leaving the 2 main political parties is a bad thing. If people want to be independent and vote for who they believe in, I see as a positive thing. Rather than just voting straight ticket. The difference between the GOP in California and the Democratic party is that Republican don't win over the independents. Doesn't that signal the loss of independent support for the GOP whether they were once Republican or Democrat?

Independent support for the Democrats has been dropping nationwide. Many independents in California are liberal too.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
OMG, California is one of the most left-wing states in the nation. Home to Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, hippies, sanctuary cities, etc. Don't give me that Democrats are more moderate crap. Reagan was a conservative Republican, Arnold is a moderate but he has not been excluded from the Republicans.
Why is California so "left-wing"? And why would Reagan be considered "left-wing" by the current Republican party? You seem to avoid addressing the article that the Republican party has veered so far to the Bible belt that they continue to lose elections [esp in states outside the South].

Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Can you provide examples where Democrats have abandon moderates in their party? I don't know much about Jerry Brown when he was governor after Reagan. Was there much difference in the way they governed?

I think one reason the Democratic party is so powerful in California is that they have wide segments of the population that, at times, disagree. Prop 8 is a good example how conservative Democrats parted with their party. What concerns me about the Republican party is the willingness to exclude any who vary from the ideology. Isn't that a relatively new thing in the GOP? Aren't you concerned that previous Republican governors would likely not be acceptable today?
So are you disagreeing with the LA Times article then which you began the discussion with and which states the same thing? If so you are entitled to your opinion of course. But the democratic left party line seems much more idealogical today than it ever has been before. Hence the deadlock in Gov't and the move of moderates away form both parties. Neither seems very flexible or open minded to me.

Derek

Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
So are you disagreeing with the LA Times article then which you began the discussion with and which states the same thing? If so you are entitled to your opinion of course. But the democratic left party line seems much more idealogical today than it ever has been before. Hence the deadlock in Gov't and the move of moderates away form both parties. Neither seems very flexible or open minded to me.

Derek
But the point is that people not wanting to identify with a particular party is different than who they vote for. Why don't the majority of Californians vote Republican? Why is Reagan so different from current Republicans in California?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Why is California so "left-wing"? And why would Reagan be considered "left-wing" by the current Republican party? You seem to avoid addressing the article that the Republican party has veered so far to the Bible belt that they continue to lose elections [esp in states outside the South].
Unfortunately I think you are wanting to turn this onto another right wing bible bashing party for whatever reason you like to do. But before you do don't forget that Ronald Reagan also instituted the National day of Prayer which liberals have been trying to defeat ever since. And Reagan was a Bible believing God fearing President whether ppl liked it or not. So I don't agree with that part of the article. I think what Republican's need most is another person like Reagan to rally around. And if there was another like him they would rally around him regardless what the idealogues would say/complain about. He had the fundamentals right. And that is also why many still think of him as one of the best Repulican presidents we ever had. Let the left wing Bible bashers flame on.

Over and out,

Derek

Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Unfortunately I think you are wanting to turn this onto another right wing bible bashing party for whatever reason you like to do. But before you do don't forget that Ronald Reagan also instituted the National day of Prayer which liberals have been trying to defeat ever since. And Reagan was a Bible believing God fearing President whether ppl liked it or not. So I don't agree with that part of the article. I think what Republican's need most is another person like Reagan to rally around. And if there was another like him they would regardless what the idealogues would say/complain about. He had the fundamentals right. And that is also why many still think of him as one of the best Repulican presidents we ever had. Let the left wing Bible bashers flame on.

Over and out,

Derek
Sorry if I bother you with my insistence that the Republican party is in a decline because of their willingness to let the evangelical\mormon types call the shots. Reagan wasn't particular religious and who cares? At the time he was governor nobody expected elected officials to profess their faith or lack of faith. That's the way it should be.

The article lists all the accomplishments of governor Reagan and how today many of those things are opposed by the Republican party. What is your opinion about that? Isn't winning an election the whole point of politics? If the Republican party doesn't win elections in California enough of a reason to re-evaluate what is wrong?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Sorry if I bother you with my insistence that the Republican party is in a decline because of their willingness to let the evangelical\mormon types call the shots.
The Republican party is not in decline

Quote:
Reagan wasn't particular religious and who cares?
Where are you getting your information at?? Were you even alive when Reagan was President??

Quote:
Isn't winning an election the whole point of politics?
No it is not, but that has become all that politicians of either side care about anymore. Once they get in there they stop listening to the needs and wants of the people they are supposed to represent.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Where are you getting this info at?? That is all untrue. What is wrong with the Bible belt anyway?? I have addressed the reasons why California is left wing. Learn to read, idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California