Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,805 times

Advertisements

Our family is planning on taking our first ever camping trip to Mammoth Cave in a couple of weeks. We live just a couple of hours away so we scouted out the main campsite last weekend to get an idea on the layout and preferred sites. There is water but no electricity at any site which is ok, but I sure am going to miss my fan at night!

Campers include myself, hubby, dd age 9.5, ds age 7 and our husky. A kennel is available for Kodi when we take cave tours but we plan on having him accompany us for hiking and other explorations. He's chipped, utd on all shots and I already have proof of vaccination so no worries there. He will NEVER be off leash outside the tent as I can't trust him not to run away at home.

Just wondering if anyone has camped at Mammoth Cave and/or used the kennels there and have any words of advice! Or any words of wisdom to newbie campers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Way back in 1982, 12 of us camped at MC on our cross country bicycle tour.

Seems it was knd of nice. Much nicer than Buck Horn Lake State park as I recall.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:43 PM

263 posts, read 745,079 times
i thought the kennel was ok. basically you pay your couple bucks and they give you a lock to put on the kennel.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks! I read on another forum the kennel was barebones but we'll only have him there for a short amount of time. Bought more gear today and looking forward to ourbfirst trip! Hubby is already looking at tent trailer catalogs, tho.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 AM

263 posts, read 745,079 times
the kennel is a series of basic chain link kennels outdoors joined together on a cement floor. it was clean. i guess it is barebones, but it works. we were coming home from texas with a new puppy when we stopped there.
now i'm wanting to go back....several of the cave areas were closed when we went (january) because they were sandblasting and painting the stairways. so, thanks for the idea! we camp in a restored VW camper van.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadlady View Post
we camp in a restored VW camper van.
How fun!!! I camped in a VW camper, back in the day!!!

Good luck with kenneling Mary_Moon. I can't wait to hear how your camping trip went.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM

621 posts, read 1,615,248 times
Looking forward to your report too. We debated going there for 4th of July weekend, but decided too late to make reservations and it was all booked. Went to Chatanooga instead. We definitly want to go to Mammoth caves though.. we tent camp as well, until we can save the cash for a pop-up.. after the wedding.. Getting to old to sleep on the ground. Too many weekend camping trips in Boy Scouts..

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
7-8 years ago we canoe/camped down the Green River.
That is the river that runs through the park. We camped on little islands on our way down to the park area. Inside the park are a few primitive campsites on the river itself. This was one of our favorite trips ever. We saw things most tourists never will.
We saw a water fall, and stood under it, that is fed by over 100 springs. We canoed into a small cave on the side of the river. We found the "Blue Hole" that "regular tourists" don't get to see. Not only did we see it we canoed over it. That was very unnerving let me tell you. And we are very experienced.
I will see if I can dig up the pics.

Then we paddled into the park and did the cave tour.

Recommend!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 PM

We had a great time camping! Made a classic newbie mistake of not double checking our supplies before we left the house, though. Didn't discover that the tent fly was missing until we were ready to put it on. Rain was in the forecast so hubby drove back home to get it (3.5 hour round trip) while I set up camp and made dinner for the kids. The site itself was pretty nice - lots of room between sites and heavily wooded. We didn't use the kennels since we didn't take a cave tour. Maybe next trip!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
So did it rain? I hope so after hubby went almost 4 hours for the fly.
I think I would have just bought a tarp and made a custom fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing