Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times

Advertisements

Guides are OK but I like word of mouth better, most every popular RV/camper forum has a campground sub forum where you can get personal opinions of just about every campground out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Private publications such as Woodalls concentrate their efforts of privately owned facilities for a very simple reason: money.

Those publications sell advertising to various private operators. The guides usually have roving crews which "inspect" private RV parks on a yearly basis. While doing the inspection, most reps also happen to mention that a small, complimentary listing is given if the RV park meets standards, but that larger colour ads are more effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Those add can also be very deceiving. Best bet is to go look at one if you can. Sometimes those adds hide the fact that your camping practically on top of each other and they're party centrals. I know some folks that tried to use the KOA's and they couldn't even use their slid outs, because they were to close. In fact the could hear everything going on in the next camper . YOU GO GIRLFRIEND, GET SOME!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
We don't tent camp; we have a van camper. But we find the website RV Park Reviews :: Campground Search to be more helpful than any of the printed guides. The problem with those is that the folks who rate the campgrounds are the ones who sell the ads. We've found so many disparities between the reviews in the guides and the actual conditions that we've learned not to trust them much anymore. The reviews on the website above are written by actual campers and tend to more accurate, at least in our experience.
All of you touched on the topics that were why I found many printed guides to be essentially useless for my purposes. First, they are advertiser driven. Second, they tend to highlight mostly private campgrounds that cater to the Class A RV crowd, because that's who their advertisers are. This is not the type of campground I'm usually interested in, though I have camped in them occasionally.

Stealthrabbit pointed out the USFS maps and regional maps as good guides, which I agree they are, but often they don't provide enough detail about the campgrounds to help me make my decision. As far as the USFS maps, they generally only cover a single national forest, or in some cases, just a portion of one. In a state like Colorado or Utah, that would mean you might need as many as 7 to 10 maps, or maybe more, and at a cost of about $10 each, that's a lot of money. Even then, you don't have listings of non-USFS campsites, except in some cases where other federal lands (such as national parks or monuments) are within the area covered on the map.

I appreciate all the other suggestions, and will start looking into some of them. The "Coleman Guide" that was suggested by Off Pavement is, more or less, what I was looking for. I can use it at home to help me find some campgrounds in the areas I want to stay, and then I can research them further on-line if necessary. Many of the other guides (and websites) suggested look interesting, too, so I will also look into them, as well.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess I've got a lot more research to do to decide which of these books I want to buy. There are some great suggestions, many of which I was unaware of, so you've all helped me in my quest.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
FOGHORN OUTDOORS. I have the pot smoker Tom Stienstra's book. I have used it for several years. This is the best guide to all public campgrounds in California.

Foghorn Outdoors :: Title Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing