Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,493,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I use a R.E.I.
Yes, go here for good PNW camping outfitter.

You need to be sure to have a LARGE rainfly (none of those silly 'cap' fly's)
an 'extended' awning portion over the entrance is a good sign you have one made for PNW. The ground sheet is important too, and be sure to place tent in such a way to avoid water running under. You will find a cot is a big plus, or at least use something to keep your bag off the floor.

that said, I got by for 20 yrs in PNW with my $49.99 sears tent bought when I was in Jr High (and in Colorado). But I am much happier (and drier / warmer) with my replacement from REI. Mine was about $80. off season.

Poly Prop underwear, and wool socks are a PNW 'Must Have'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 AM

116 posts, read 428,028 times
I always recommend buying a COT if you have the room to take it with you. They do waste a lot of packing space, but these are far better than just a sleeping bag and pad. Also, if the tent gets wet, a cot will keep you off the ground.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:22 PM

94 posts, read 387,352 times
I've used an 8x8 Coleman dome tent I got for $30-40 for years (for car camping). That thing has been through Noreasters down in Hatteras and some good storms out in the woods without a leak. You are always going to get some condensation inside but laying a tarp on the ground helps cut down on that problem. Easy to set up too...If you are going the inexpensive route I would go coleman all the way.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,867,326 times
Rei.......

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM

805 posts, read 1,079,357 times
Amazon.com: Coleman SunDome 7-Foot by 7-Foot 3-Person Dome Tent (Orange/Gray): Gateway

Might want to check this one out- it's gotten rave reviews. I think I'm going to go with it!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 712 times
Default Walmart Tents

The first thing you need to consider is what type of weather are you going to be camping in. If you are camping in mild weather (i.e. no rain, snow or high wind) then a cheap tent from Walmart/Kmart/Target would be just fine. Beings as you will be alone an instant tent would be a good choice as they are much easier to set up with one person and can be set up in a minute or two.

Ozark Trail is Walmart's brand of tents and Kmart sells a in-house brand called Northwest Territory. Both brands offer tents for as little as $40 and I know that Ozark Trails has a wide range of tents that can run as high as between $300-$400. Both brands are of course not the best brands of tents but they do a good job in mild weather. Of course if you think you might be camping in rain, a tarp and a can of water sealant for the tent will make sure you don't get water in your tent.

High wind areas are definitely a no-no with both these brands, they will not stand up to high winds like more well known brands like Coleman, Eureka or Kelty.

You can find some great information on Walmart tents here Find Ozark Trail Tents | Coleman Sleeping Bags | Camping Hiking Equipment

Old 06-03-2016, 06:29 AM

8,318 posts, read 4,290,523 times
Do you intend to pitch it 20 feet from your vehicle or backpack it for miles?
Weight is the issue. In a campground, close to your vehicle you can carry a lot of 'luxury' items like tarps that can make most any tent 'waterproof' and comfortable like inflatable mattress' and pillows. Back packing requires lightweight, high quality and some very specific features to be comfortable 'in the wild'.

As far as setting it up, if a 7 year old boy scout can learn to set one up, I am sure you can. Practice with what you buy in your back yard a few times.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,290,800 times
I'm pretty sure they bought a tent being this thread is almost 6 years old LOL My old dome tent is old, I can't remember the brand but it's still like brand new, I'm going to break it out again for some over night trips. My wife likes the trailer but I still love camping in a tent.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:51 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,815,421 times
I can also recommend Eureka, we used to live near their factory and found even their seconds to be great.

But I lost my last Eureka tent in the divorce, so I went to Walmart and bought a 8x12 Coleman tent that is every bit as good and was only about $50. shock-corded poles are a MUST have.

I disagree with the recommendations to purchase Blue Tarps. They are actually made from woven plastic, so with some use you can get plenty of water seeping through the weave.

I have a heavy plastic paint drop cloth from Lowes that I cut to be just a little smaller than the floor of the tent. If it is bigger than the floor of the tent, rain will run right down the sides of the tent right under the tent. IMHO this is more impt than a tarp over the tent.

I've never put an extra tarp over the tent and never had any leaks. You don't want to TOUCH the top of the tent from the inside because that will invite water right in. If i did think an extra tarp was merited, I would use the extra canopy I have from one of those 8x8 pop up shelters.

Which brings me to: A pop up shelter is really great to put in front of your tent/over your picnic table. I wouldn't camp without one! I saw a nice 10x10 at Ollie's Bargain outlet today for $69.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:53 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,815,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I'm pretty sure they bought a tent being this thread is almost 6 years old LOL My old dome tent is old, I can't remember the brand but it's still like brand new, I'm going to break it out again for some over night trips. My wife likes the trailer but I still love camping in a tent.
LoL, well, I'm sure there are always newbies looking for tent advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing