Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:53 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

I thought I had the perfect plan worked out. I would buy a Class B motorhome, drive up and down the east coast until I found the perfect oceanfront condo, then live there during the off season and rent it out to vacationers during the peak season, traveling and living in my RV at that time. The Roadtrek van would be my daily driver and only vehicle. Until I learned that MOST condo HOAs and even single-family homeowner associations near the beach don't allow any RV parking, not even in the case of the SUV/truck-sized 18-foot Class B. Anyone have any experience with this? Or rather getting around this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Instead of buying a condo, try to find a small cottage or bungalow in an area with few CCRs and no HOA. They are scarce, but they are out there.
Personally, I would NEVER purchase property where I have to grant control of it to a Board Of Directors!
Of course, you will still have to put up with municipal ordinances.
Unless you can find a place outside the city limits!
Good luck.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:59 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
This is why I avoid HOAs.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 AM

So it sounds like something has to go: either the RV as part-time camper/full-time driver or the oceanfront condo. Curses; foiled again!

Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Even some municipalities have rules about parking RV's on your property, particularly those that attract tourists. They don't want people renting out their driveways in beach towns to RV's.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:37 PM

[quote=annerk;40676491]quote]

I was wondering what the real issue is here, because it's definitely not the parking space required to park one. Thought maybe it was the propane, if present, but I hear it's the "living amenities." I've even heard of a few Class B owners getting a physician's excuse stating a medical need for a bathroom on board, but I'd hate to go that far... So is storage readily available NEAR the beach and reasonably priced (I suppose I could get back and forth on a moped), or is this a huge glitch in my grand scheme?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:49 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
In the Condo's I lived in years ago in NJ,

Three of the neighborhoods allowed limited RV, Up to consecutive 10 days, (MaybeTwo times a year) Also allowed overnight Load and go for next morning.

Each of the three neighborhoods had 2 RV parking spots, that had to be paid for, 220 30/40 Amp power included. Water for filling the tank, But NO Sewer hookup.

Reservation for the parking spots were could be done 330 days in advance, After you used your 1st reservation (Up to 10 days), you could request a 2nd reservation 1 month before, if the spaces were available. You paid the full cost for number of days you wanted when you got your reservation, I think we changed $25/day or portion of it. No Refunds for canceled or no/shows.

If you got the condo office manager in a good mode she would move dates to new date for free, if you rescheduled at least 2 months in advance.

But our condo association was the only one in the area that did it, and only in 3 of the 10 neighborhoods that the Overall Condo development did it.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:56 PM

But I would be the owner of the condo, and this would be my only vehicle. Surely the rules don't apply to ME?

Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But I would be the owner of the condo, and this would be my only vehicle. Surely the rules don't apply to ME?
Not sure what the condo management / security determined as RV.

But if it looked like a RV .. after 12 hours you would get a warning ticket, 24 a Notice to Tow Notice, 36 hrs it would be towed.

The RV spots were intended for family member who are living the RV "homeless" lifestyle. So they could come and visit, Since the Condo were mostly 2 bedroom, most did not have alot of extra space for visiting family.

About 5 miles away was a U-Store type center that did open storage for RV, Boats, Some of the families who owned RV paid to park them there when they were not on the road. We had a number of condo owner who used the condo as there base (NJ what were they thinking probably worst tax state to be resident of) , and would go off for weeks/months @ time in there RV's .

Old 08-03-2015, 01:08 PM

I'm told that anything with "living amenities" is considered an RV regardless of length, width, height, or other uses. Any idea how much storage runs? I'm not exactly eager to pay storage fees on top of condo fees!

So you're all saying that even in a beach house set back a number of blocks from shore -- for instance, in a beachside community -- during off-season, I could be prohibited from parking my daily-driving van in my own parking lot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing