Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,877,385 times

Advertisements

I saw one that says Montana on it. Is that just a brand or does that indicate you can use it in very cold winter weather and stay comfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM

34,147 posts, read 83,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I saw one that says Montana on it.
...indicate you can use it in very cold winter weather and stay comfortable?
There is no RV that is "good for cold weather".

There are some that are marginally less bad for the RV systems (pipes, tanks, etc)...
but if you really anticipate regular cold weather needs for housing figure something else out.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,272,165 times
Montana is brand name. It's a decent 5er, better than average, but it's not one I'd pick for much cold weather use. I'm sure some salesmen and maybe even Montana will call it a "4-season" camper, but realistically it's built for 3-season use.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 AM

32,706 posts, read 48,272,649 times
In my opinion, Arctic Fox is the way to go if you are going to do cold weather camping. But even that is not going to save you from frozen plumbing.

I use my Salem in some mighty cold weather, but in the fall, I winterize the plumbing and my family winter camps without putting any water into the trailer and without using any of the plumbing.

The trailer just remains winterized until spring, even though we use it.

The propane heater has no problems with keeping the inside toast warm, no matter what the outside temperature is. Beds need additional insulating pads so that the cold air does not come up from underneath the mattress.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,945 times
hi there i am going on a trip to billings and aronnd montana on the apirl 25 till may6 is this a good time 2 do this will we be able 2 get around ok i should say we are from IRELAND so would like 2 no will all the snow be gone and all roads open 2 the yellowstone park

Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM

34,147 posts, read 83,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dock67 View Post
on a trip to billings and aronnd montana on the apirl 25 till may6
Billings, Montana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,189,806 times
Some park areas, entrances and roads are not accessible year-round!
From early November through late April, all roads south through the park are closed to wheeled vehicles, including the road to Old Faithful Geyser. During the winter season only two roads are plowed:between the North Entrance and Cooke City, MT and from Mammoth Hot Springs to the parking area at the Upper Terraces.The Northeast Entrance near Cooke City, which leads eastward into Montana, is not plowed during the winter.
Seasonal Closures and Road Construction Delays - Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone Road Closures
  • 24-hour Current Road Report Hotline: (307) 344-2117
  • Yellowstone Road Information
  • Open Year-Round: North Entrance Road to Upper Mammoth Terrace. Mammoth through Tower Junction to the Northeast Entrance.
  • Spring: On April 15, interior roads open to autos. The North Entrance to Northeast Entrance at Silver Gate and Cooke City, Montana is closed to east/west travel just east of Cooke City from late fall to early spring. The road between West Yellowstone and Mammoth often opens early for road biking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dock67 View Post
hi there i am going on a trip to billings and aronnd montana on the apirl 25 till may6 is this a good time 2 do this will we be able 2 get around ok i should say we are from IRELAND so would like 2 no will all the snow be gone and all roads open 2 the yellowstone park

Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 AM

797 posts, read 1,347,155 times
It was reported that the sequestor would result in even less snowplowing in Yellowstone Park

Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,976,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I saw one that says Montana on it. Is that just a brand or does that indicate you can use it in very cold winter weather and stay comfortable?
"Montana" is a model/brand and has nothing to do with how it will work in cold weather.

There are some 5th Wheels and Trailers that are rated for very cold weather. Carriage (no longer in business) made some very high quality 5th wheels that were full-time live-in rated and could handle very cold weather adequately.

Here is the trick on cold weather and RVs. The closer to the ground you get the RV the less it is affected by the cold. While an RV is an RV and not built like a house, when you have very cold weather and there is a lot of air space under the RV, you can't keep it warm without constantly running the heaters. Side shirts will do wonders. Then address the heater itself. Most RV heaters are not really suited for more than cool temperatures without running all the time. Instead look at some of the catalyst heaters that are RV safe. They do amazing jobs for a lot less energy use than traditional propane or electric heaters.

It is possible to stay comfortable in an RV in very cold weather, you just have to address the heating and insulation a bit but it isn't overly difficult or expensive to do. A catalyst heater or two (depending on the size of the RV) and some skirting (put foam insulation on the inside surface) and you should be in pretty good shape. Without skirts, cold air will run under the RV and drain away heat very fast. The floors will always be very cold and so will you.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,189,806 times
Maybe maybe not, Yellowstone makes a lot of money them selves.
They only need GOVT money for major projects.
And the sun works for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
It was reported that the sequestor would result in even less snowplowing in Yellowstone Park

Back to campers ours is rated for down to 20*f so I'm sure you could get away with it being colder, We have use ours when it was still snowing in the MTNS and we were comfortable.

The under side of the trailer is inclosed( it's an option.)

The trick is to use rv anti freeze in your grey and black water tanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing