Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM

385 posts, read 1,106,765 times

Advertisements

I am thinking I'd like to build a teardrop camper.

I purchased some plans for one... here is a link to it. It looks nice and simple, but attractive. It is a convertible top with a screen which should be nice. I sort of wish it had a fan, but I think I might could engineer one.

DIY Teardrop Camper Plans

You can click on the picture to see more pictures of this model.

In the area where I live there is a camper that appears to have been built from these plans for sale on craigslist.

Teardrop Camper Gators Edition

I like it, although I'm not a Florida Gators fan. However I think I could sand off the gator logo the guy painted on it and paint the orange color blue to match the rest of the trailer.

The price for this camper is 1700 bucks, but I wonder if I could get it for 1500.

However I feel like I can build one on my own for about half the cost.

I don't think I've ever undertaken a project of this scale. I think I can get my father to help me build one, or use the tools my friend has. My question is, do you think this project will be too great an undertaking for me? Do you think I could complete it in about a week or two? I was thinking I would like to use a nicer kind of plywood like birch instead of oak, and I'm worried that would drive up the cost.

I am on a tight budget, as I'm a student... so I am wondering if you all think I would be better off building my own? I kind of like that idea, as I could customize it to make it my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times
If you got the plans and feel comfortable I'd say build to it. It could be a great fun project. Remember to measure once and cut twice. Wait, what?

I am not sure of your skills and ability. It would be a good way to build confidence and give it your own touches. Study the plans and keep them handy when building. I'd vote build.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
I suggest that you price out the materials to build it. Personally, I would rather pay $1500 and get the one that is already made, as long as an inspection shows quality workmanship.

The 2 sheets of plywood are just the beginning. All the fasteners you need will add up fast. If it is going down the road and down some bumping country roads, you can't put it together with a couple of cheap nails. It will need good bolts and reinforced fasteners. Those cost money.

I've got one of those little red cargo trailers and it was a nightmare to put together. Worth ownng, because I use it a lot, but it was a booger to get all the gazillion little pieces in the right place.

Whether you buy or build, that plywood will last a lot longer if you put a coat of good paint on it. Maybe even an exterior epoxy, which is rather costly. At a minimum, a marine paint.

You will need to use exterior plywood and exterior plywood in a hardwood might be tricky to find. If that is oak plywood on that existing trailer, it might be interior plywood. Either way, no plywood is going to stand up to the weather without a good coat of protection.

If you decide to buy that one, inspect very carefully.

That's a cute trailer and would be a lot of fun to own, whether purchased or constructed.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,552 posts, read 57,460,499 times
If this is your first project, bite off as small / useful as possible. It is very ez to get burnt out, and you will ALWAYS have better ideas for 'Next-time'.

Thus I would use a good quality utility trailer chassis and add a 'removeable' camper. You can always sell EACH later.

I am using a "snowbear" for my Teardrop. They can be found used for ~$400, and are very nicely built and Heavy Duty/ (2,000# GVW capacity). They tow NICE, and have tiltable deck, reversible tailgates, adjustable tongue and axle, and removable sides, LOTS of heavy duty tie downs.
https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...ajH8PvygGGk4Bg

I use mine ALL THE time, and it tows great behiond my 50 mpg VWs.
I am building / adding a slide-in Teardrop. Hinged top that will allow me to change cargo configurations (I sometimes like to include a motorcycle, which will be Tongue / hitch Mounted, not in the bed.).

True teardrop owners will not be impressed.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,130,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
... My question is, do you think this project will be too great an undertaking for me? Do you think I could complete it in about a week or two?
No. And not likely.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Here is a nice idea for vintage Teardrop (using a boat as roof)

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lorboat-my.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...AoPY2gWDtIG4DA

RE: time to build... ~ 6 months would be my guess (working on it Part-time)

Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM

385 posts, read 1,106,765 times
Thanks for the help.

I'm going to try to build it.

Here is a link to a good resource I found.

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
Thanks for the help.

I'm going to try to build it.

Here is a link to a good resource I found.

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page
Do yourself a favor and make a visit to one of their Get-togethers / camping weekends. (Teardrop groups)

I did that last yr, and learned MUCH. You will find lots of advice and ideas (On guy had built 10). This is well worth your expense and time while PLANNING.

I did a 'fly/drive' $89 air and $10/day priceline car, to an area I had been wanting to visit anyway. It was a NICE and FUN (and educational) weekend!

No one had made what I want, but I still got some great ideas that I have incorporated into my design.

Another option.
Tent Trailers - From Trailer to Tent in 5 Minutes!

I can't do that, cuz I live / recreate in RAIN country.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM

19,374 posts, read 22,309,954 times
If I ever built one I would make sure it could double as an ice fishing hut!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If I ever built one I would make sure it could double as an ice fishing hut!
I thought that would be a good idea with a pontoon. That way if you're late getting the shack off the ice you sail away and continue fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing