Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the informative replies. This is just a hypothetical excercise for me right now. It seems there should be some accomodating laws that need to be written. For example, the self-contained unit could be allowed on a spot for x months at a time followed by vacancy of y days; all waste water would be contained (with max allowed) and pumped by a professional tanker; no more than one such unit per lot; requirements for minimum lot size (I'm thinking acres) and distance from lot boundary. This would allow for those such situations as: traveling friends or relatives in rural areas, home owners/contractors repairing or building houses, folks who own multiple rural properties they wish to visit thoroughout the year.

The question is how to avoid ugly, trashy, unsafe, illegal, polluting conditions. Perhaps a special permit could be required. And yes, I could see that if rentals are not allowed in that zoning, that practice should have priority. This is not about renting out living space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 12:31 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Location makes a huge difference. Where I live, my neighbor was told he could not stay in a camp trailer that was parked on one of my lots next to a small house he was repairing, which is also on my lot. The neighbor lady who owns a house across the street called code enforcement on him. She also told them I was letting him live rent free in the small house as he was fixing it up. A state inspector came to my door and started asking questions about what was going on in my rental house. I asked him "who wanted to know", he looked at me funny and gave me his business card. I pointed at the street and said "right now you are standing on private property", "what goes on down at that house is none of your business", He started talking and I interrupted him and told him I knew the laws and I wasn't doing anything illegal, and that I wouldn't discuss it with him. He left, and I never heard any more from him. A county inspector stopped by the small rental house a few days later and asked my neighbor if he was repairing the house for free rent, he was told no, that no money had exchanged hands. That was the end of it, but my neighbor stopped spending the night in the camp trailer and stayed in the house. This whole thing kind of irritated me, since I'm the one paying taxes on this property. I learned if you don't talk to any of these government officials, you are better off. It is best to read all the ordinances that may affect your property before you do anything that resembles building. My neighbor is staying in that small rental house as he is fixing it up, and I'm not charging him any rent. If the county and state continues to ignore this, I will consider myself lucky because I think there is an ordinance against not charging for rent.
So charge him $1 and tell them to bugger off.

Then buy him a beer.

I've lived on my land for 6 months in my Airstream, but then, my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away and I have a locked gate between us. (and does not care) and there's no zoning.
All depends.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:34 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
If you can build a garage structure to park your rv in it gets a lot simpler in terms of both zoning restrictions and year round livability. It gets easier still if that garage structure is attached to a house. But at that point you're just a guy with an rv who sleeps in it instead his bedroom.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
If you can build a garage structure to park your rv ... at that point you're just a guy with an rv who sleeps in it instead his bedroom.
RV Beats the doghouse or the couch (where I usually 'bed down')

Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
For this you would need to either be retired or 'working from home'.

Here is the idea. Own a piece of property which has its own well and perhaps electric service. Buy an RV and live in it on your own property for most of the year. Then from time to time drive the RV to vacation campgrounds where you stay for a couple of weeks or a month at a time for a change of scenery/pace.

But here are the questions. While you live on your own property, do you need permits from your county to do that? I am assuming there is no septic system and you would need to pump out the waste tank with a certain frequency. Are there specific rules/regulations about this? Can you stay have a service pump out your waste like they do for porta potties, or do you have to drive to waste facilities?

I was also wondering if you can hire drivers to move the RV for you. They would drive to the vacation or rental site while you drove your car there.

Just think up some possibilities. I have never owned an RV before but it looks interesting.
I had thought this was not allowed in many places because an rv is considered a vehicle and zoning laws do not allow people to live in their car. I think you have to show ( or pretend ) you are building a real home to live in or fixing up one already there.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:34 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
So, maybe is beats the zoning if you hunker down on someone else's property and not your own. Hmmmm.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:27 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
In our area, RV's are only permitted to be lived in on the street or your lot for one week at a time. I don't know what the lag time is between stays. But it really depends on your neighbors.

For instance, we live on one acre lots. We bought a newer RV and the old one was not worth the trade in. Our soon-to-be college daughter asked if she could fix it up and live in it instead of the dorms (dorms = >$10k/year). Since we have lived in the same neighborhood for 25 years, have septic on the property, could hook her up to water and electricity...we talked to the neighbors. They were all very supportive with some ground rule about location of the RV on the lot, noise, septic, parking. Our daughter lived in the RV full time for 5 years without a problem. On the other hand, a family on our street was allowing their unemployed and homeless brother to live in their RV that was parked just off the street (on their property) and got into trouble quickly when the "tenant" was setting up his lawn chairs where everyone could see them and having friends over all day and all night, enjoying activities considered not so legal. That got shut down after a couple of weeks. We also had a neighbor who tried to store his RV on his property, but it is an easement (within 6 feet of the road), and was obstructing the view around a corner for drivers. He also had to move his RV.

For retirees with RV living in mind I know in AZ you can rent a concrete pad to call home for your RV. I know you can rent pads in the coast areas of TX as well and many snowbirds stay for many months. But you would probably have to pump your black water on a regular basis. We have always had trailer RV's that we could unhook from so that we could use the truck as transportation while we were RVing.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Check zone and other wise no problem. My neighbor who has a acre like me parks his RV but can not occupy it there. After Rita trailers where allowed for 6 months with restrictions and others where setup with full everything in trailer type parks where allowed. Some later had everything was removed and landscaped some year later when agreement ran out with landowners who didn't want them free. I know one; he didn't want to be a landlord and had other uses for the land.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Check zone and other wise no problem. My neighbor who has a acre like me parks his RV but can not occupy it there. After Rita trailers where allowed for 6 months with restrictions and others where setup with full everything in trailer type parks where allowed. Some later had everything was removed and landscaped some year later when agreement ran out with landowners who didn't want them free. I know one; he didn't want to be a landlord and had other uses for the land.
???

Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 19,769 times
Default ICC All States counties And Cities

Being that our country is under siege by Agenda 21 all states are going by The International Codes Council. Yes you heard it correctly the codes are from an international Body. Many counties across the US do not enforce much of the codes but there are those that do.

The code in my county states:

Recreational vehicles.

A.
Use as a dwelling. No recreational vehicle, as defined in appendix B, shall be used for dwelling purposes within ......... County unless located within a licensed recreational vehicle park, subdivision, or campground.
[SIZE=4]Florida Statutes Definition of Dwelling: This ONLY pertains to publicy rented property.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]83.43 Definitions.—[/SIZE][SIZE=2]As used in this part, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings unless some other meaning is plainly indicated:[/SIZE] (1) “Building, housing, and health codes” means any law, ordinance, or governmental regulation concerning health, safety, sanitation or fitness for habitation, or the construction, maintenance, operation, occupancy, use, or appearance, of any dwelling unit.
(2) “Dwelling unit” means: (a) A structure or part of a structure that is rented for use as a home, residence, or sleeping place by one person or by two or more persons who maintain a common household.
(b) A mobile home rented by a tenant.
(c) A structure or part of a structure that is furnished, with or without rent, as an incident of employment for use as a home, residence, or sleeping place by one or more persons.

The code only applies to a rental property!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing