Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:53 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times

Advertisements

I'm constantly browsing ads on Craigslist for the pop up I'm going to buy 'someday'.

What exactly is involved in buying a camper with no title? Just a bureaucratic nightmare in getting it titled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 03:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
A slide-in camper is not a motor vehicle or a trailer that is towed on the road. Doesn't need a title.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:24 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Every state is different...I would check with your states DMV and see what the laws are regarding getting something retitled and then you would know if it's worth the hassle......at least call out a local cop to check out the vin number to make sure it's not stolen

Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM

While a slide-in camper manufacturer may provide a serial number (and some don't), it's not a 17-digit motor vehicle VIN. Most states look at these as "cargo" on the truck, not a vehicle itself.

However, some states do require more than a bill of sale ... my previous post was not correct for these states (where I've never dealt with their DMV's):

"I. List of States that Require Truck Camper Registration
1.Idaho
2.Indiana
3.Maine
4.Mississippi
5.Montana
6.Oregon
7.Rhode Island
8.Tennessee
9.Utah
10.Washington

II. List of States that Require Truck Camper Titles
1.Idaho
2.Indiana
3.Michigan
4.Mississippi
5.Montana
6.Nevada
7.Ohio
8.Oregon
9.Tennessee
10.Washington"

IMO, it's all about tax revenues. I've built specialized structures for my pick-up's ... for hauling livestock, building materials, or a one-man loading capable boat rack with sleeping/storage quarters beneath the boat rack ... and never been bothered for any paperwork on these items.

PS: if your camper rig blocks the license plate on your truck from view, you need to relocate the plate to the back of the camper. But if you take the camper off at a campsite, be sure to transfer the vehicle license plate back to the truck when you're driving around.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:00 PM

I'm still trying to figure out the "truck camper" part...the OP wants to buy a pop up which is classified as a trailer and totally different then a slide in truck camper

Old 07-18-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I'm still trying to figure out the "truck camper" part...the OP wants to buy a pop up which is classified as a trailer and totally different then a slide in truck camper
"pop up" slide-in truck camper units are very common. Designed to have a low profile while traveling, the upper portion is raised to create the full headroom living space when in use. I had an Alaskan brand unit for awhile; it's claim to fame was that it had "hard sides" compared to the soft sided units of their competitors. This created a better insulated camper sidewall and was allegedly more bear-proof than the soft sided units.

The OP didn't specify a "trailer" style pop-up camper as opposed to a slide-in truck camper.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 PM

Okay, definitely a pop up trailer.

some of the ads specify no title, and some to have titles, so it is clear you CAN have a title on pop up camper. but do I NEED one? and if so, is getting one expensive/difficult?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:46 AM

Again yes you want a title....for a number of reasons... without a title you can not prove ownership......you may not be able to register the trailer and get the tag....without the tag you can normally not get insurance etc... again every state is different and have their own rules.....

What I think you will often find with many "no title" trailers is that insurance claims were made on them and they were totaled per the insurance company and then were repaired.....most poorly done

Many states will not reissue a title on a trailer that's been totaled, others might.....again its up to you to do the homework based on your states requirements......me I would never buy a RV without having a clear title...You are just asking for trouble

Last edited by rtandc; 07-19-2015 at 08:00 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 08:20 AM

So how would I find out if it had been titled, or totaled? Is there a VIN or the equivalent?

Old 07-19-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
So how would I find out if it had been titled, or totaled? Is there a VIN or the equivalent?
A trailer will have a 17 Digit VN number plate installed by the manufacturer (or a state issued ID Tag # stamped into the frame if it was a homebuilt that was titled/registered).

A seller should provide you with the appropriate paperwork if the trailer was titled/registered and had a license plate on it.

Without that paperwork, you may still be able to get a title from a trace on the VIN and tracking down the last titled owner of the trailer. That may be the person who sold you the trailer. Or the trace may come up with a cloud/lien on the title trail which may not be easily resolved; if so, this is a trailer you'd not want to buy.

Otherwise, you may be able (in some states) to get a state issued "built by owner" or "homebuilt" trailer ID # issued which you can then stamp into the frame (with number punches) and have inspected for that number. With that paperwork and verification of the number on the frame, the state can then issue a title and registration. It's generally not a difficult process and can be fairly inexpensive. The last trailer I licensed this way required only a notice by publication to any prior owners under the original VIN number and trailer make/model description that I was applying for a title. $45 and 4 weeks worth of "legal notice" publishing (once per week) in the local newspaper of record, then a 1 month wait after the last date of publication for any response. No responses were received, and my County Clerk then issued me the title paperwork. I had to stamp the frame with the new VIN number and have that "inspected" by a local law officer (I used a deputy sheriff at the office across the street from my county clerk/DMV office, cost $15 for that paperwork). After paying sales tax on the purchase, title fees, and registration fees for the license plate, I was street legal and the titled owner of the trailer.

Of course, any trailer you are considering purchasing without a title in the seller's name that can be transferred to you should be priced accordingly for the hassles and costs of getting it into your name and titled. And if you're not interested in going through that process and the uncertainty, then don't buy a trailer without full documentation.

In most states, a title trail on a "totaled" trailer will show an ownership trail from an individual to an insurance company. There are a couple of RV dealerships in my region that will buy these units and either part them out (some held for retail salvage parts, such as applicances or interior parts or body parts) or use them as donor units to assemble a functional trailer. For example, a neighbor had his 28' "toy hauler" trailer sideswiped by a semi on a slick highway, a hit and run ... the semi driver probably didn't even know that there had been any contact. The trailer owner filed a claim with his insurance company, and they totaled out the trailer ... handed him a check for the loss (less deductible) and he gave them the trailer. That trailer wound up in the local RV shop/salvage yard and only needed 8 exterior panels and a couple of vertical structure members replaced. All in all, a very straightforward and simple drilling out of rivets to remove the panels or cutting away of some bent structural members. New aluminum beams were TIG welded into place, new exterior panels were installed, the interior FRP panels were replaced, and the trailer was returned to service ... looking as good as new and certainly structurally and functionally sound as new. But for a lot less money than a new one ... and this unit was only 8 months old at the time of the collision. Looked beautiful, straight, and clean, ready for many years of good service after the repairs.

The bottom line is that you must perform a pre-buy inspection on any used road vehicle that you purchase ... car, truck, or trailer. If you don't know how to do this, then you're best off to take the unit to a knowledgeable professional who can perform the inspection for you. Sometimes you'll need to take a unit to an RV shop for their services, then to a frame shop to check the trailer structure, and so forth. I've seen beautiful RV trailers with good accessories and clean interiors that had bent/failed suspension items (especially torsion bar axles) that would have required thousands of dollars to replace the failed components.

Understand that what you're buying in any used purchase like this is the "remaining useful service life of the vehicle". A title is a good thing to have, but you'll not be driving the title down the road. All that really counts is the condition of the vehicle and it's installed accessories ... and even one that looks clean and has a clear title may have problems which do not justify the acquisition cost.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-19-2015 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing