Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 04:12 PM

9,337 posts, read 13,912,847 times

Advertisements

I am getting the urge to try RVing alone as a senior. My current choice is to get a 30 ft class C and travel with my dogs for a few weeks at a time, but always come home to my home base in NC. Is this crazy? Is it difficult to drive/park/manuever a motorhome completely on your own?

Are there any older women out in C-D world who have done it? What was your experience? Any serious tips on where to go, what to do, what equipment to add to your motorhome?

Basically, what are the issues that are important to going it alone like this in your "golden years"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 04:16 PM

25,322 posts, read 16,958,731 times
No. It is not crazy. YOU are not crazy.

If you haven't gone places you thought you would never go, and done things you thought you would never do, then you should step up and try.

There will come a day when you are too old. But that's not today. Today, you should go talk to that RV dealer.

BOL!

Old 10-10-2015, 04:16 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,680,293 times
Effective usage of electronics and cameras make it possible. For example, new trucking map software can help the RV'er avoid bad roads with inadequate clearance.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:28 PM

927 posts, read 746,312 times
I met a lady who was doing that in Florida. The red-hat ladies travel around in Rvs together as a group. Find out where to park at night. Nobody will know you're a woman if you don't emerge in the evening. The police were actually helpful. They'd let her stay a few nights somewhere if she was a lady. Its better to go to sleep early and get up early like 5am and move your vehicle, if its in a parking lot.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:50 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times
Not crazy at all. I'd say it is a dandy idea. Once you get the feel and some miles a class C should be easy to drive and back. I'd say go for it. Peril try a rental a couple of time to get the feel of everything and then knowing for sure it is an investment you want to make.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:30 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
I plan on doing this next year. But, I bought a little 93 Nissan pickup and I'm going to have a customized shell put on the back that will only be the width of the truck bed, and only as long as the bed but with an overcab storage area, so it can easily fit into a regular parking spot, yet still be light, and will be easy to drive and not use too much gas.

I will have a porta potty, but not a shower. And I intend to join some local camping groups and take my dog.

There are camping groups for single seniors, or just single women, and families, etc.

I personally, wouldn't feel comfortable towing a trailer or driving a big RV. I'd rather have to figure out a place to shower, than deal with that. So it's up to you what you'd personally be comfortable with. There are a lot of options.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
Lots of senior singles doing it.

Informative websites -

https://escapees.com
Loners On Wheels
Outdoor Adventure Group for Women | Sisters on the Fly

And a quirky blog by a single man rv-er who admires single women rv-ers -
Mobile Kodgers

Old 10-11-2015, 03:26 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,223,314 times
Get an awning in order to extend your living area and place a good sized grass rug under it to keep down the dirt from coming into the camper. A generator will give you power if you find yourself in a place without electricity. You might need an adapter for your electrical cord built into your camper. You'll need a hose and a good pair of rubber gloves to use at the dump station and don't forget the sanitation chemicals. Only use the antifreeze sold at the RV store if you need to winterize it, the other stuff is poison.

A small folding metal kitchen ladder is good to have as is some caulk, rubber tie downs, a 30 ft rope, a toolbox, a bicycle carrier and bike with a basket. I like my zero gravity canvas lounge chair for naps. You can get a mosquito light and a portable gas grill that fits on a picnic table though I generally put it on a small folding metal table so as not to ruin my plastic table cloth.

Try to be aware of where you're pulling into so you don't have to back out. Not so bad at campgrounds where people can help you but better if you can pull ahead at the store and elsewhere. Ten times worse if you're towing something.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:41 AM

983 posts, read 987,472 times
I plan on fulltiming in a van when I retire.

Don't worry about what happens when you're too old. Enjoy your adventure now. When you're too old, just drive up to the nursing home, toss the keys to the attendant, and say "Wow, what a ride!"

Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 AM

6,870 posts, read 7,811,823 times
IMHO a single woman will be quite safe among RVers. They look out for each other. Do it!

Maybe try some rentals to see what fits you best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing