Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 08:30 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,658 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there have experience towing the with the current generation Chevy Silverado 5.3L V8?

I'm looking at getting a short bed crew cab with 4WD; configured with the 3.42 rear end it has a towing capacity of 9,100 pounds. Payload capacity can be either 1,730 pounds or 2,130 pounds if properly configured. The 3.08 rear end has a max tow rating of 6,100 pounds.

It will probably be about two years before we buy a TT (saving now!). We have gone to a few RV shows to get an idea of what we might like and how much vehicle we will need to tow it. We are looking at 26-27' trailers. The one we liked the most that fit into our planned budget has an empty weight of about 5,600 pounds. It has a max weight of about 7,600 pounds.

I don't know how likely it is to end up at the max weight, but I would certainly like to have enough truck to pull, and more importantly handle and stop the load safely. I'm aware that tongue weight and all passengers/cargo count against the payload capacity. As far as I can tell a truck configured the way I mentioned should be able to handle what I'm looking to tow.

Has anyone towed with this particular Silverado configuration? Our use will mostly be in the state of Michigan and on the Eastern side of the US. Driving through the Rockies is unlikely.

Also, do you think I would receive better responses posting this in automotive? Not sure how many RVers read that section but it might pull in other folks who trailer other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 12:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
Get the rear wnd with the 9100 lbs. 6100 lbs is only 500 lbs heavier than the dry weight. Dry weight means no water, propane, propane bottles and are often lower than the actual weight when delivered. Adding 500 lbs of gear to the trailer is a guaranteed once you have it loaded up with linens, utensils, appliances, cookware, etc.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Get the rear wnd with the 9100 lbs. 6100 lbs is only 500 lbs heavier than the dry weight. Dry weight means no water, propane, propane bottles and are often lower than the actual weight when delivered. Adding 500 lbs of gear to the trailer is a guaranteed once you have it loaded up with linens, utensils, appliances, cookware, etc.
If I buy this truck I intend to buy the package that has the 9100 lb capacity. I only included the 6100 lb as a reference. After rereading I can see why that is confusing though! I could have worded it better or left it out entirely.

So if you would like to kindly offer another opinion, do you think I'd be okay with the truck configured with the 9,100lb capacity and 1,700 lb payload? After reading some forums over the past few months it seems there are some people who think you need an HD pickup to tow anything larger than a popup!

Thanks for reading.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
You'll want the 2,130-pound payload; 1,730 would be cutting it VERY close -- not what you want.

Travel trailers, iirc, usually place 15% of their weight on the hitch.

7,600x15%= 1,140.
3 adults @170 ea = 510. (I'm assuming you'll be using the extended cab for people.)

That's 1,650 pounds right there. Add some fuel for a generator, possibly the generator itself, some firewood, tools, camp chairs, etc. and you're well past 1,730 pounds. Also, options for your truck probably aren't included in payload figures. You want the fancy model with extra insulation, fancy trim, a bed liner, etc. and you'll be even shorter on payload capacity.

Half-ton trucks aren't normally the best for hauling loads, but the half-ton HD trucks, iirc, have heavier brakes, axels, wheels, springs, shocks, etc. I assume that's what you're looking at, with a tow package. They're ample for what you want, but if you should decide later that you want a larger TT or a 5th wheel (higher percentage of weight on the pin), you'll be into 3/4-ton territory.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:28 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
You have been given some great advice so I'm only going to add three things.

1) make sure you are positive about the max tow weight of the truck you are looking at, remember Chevy was sued for advertising the wrong tow rates, on several trucks the "new tow rate" was actually dropped several hundred to several thousand pounds on some models.

2) Always use the 80% rule which is you never want your trailer (max loaded weight) to be more than 80% of the max tow weight of your truck. Remember that max tow rating is just that, the most you ever want to tow under ideal conditions, unfortunately many people look at that number as a goal and soon find out towing close or at the maxed out weight is not fun. In fact many full timers and folks that camp/tow often are now finding the 75% rule makes for better towing, handling, stopping etc.

3) You can never have to much truck. What your plans are for a TT today can change dramatically over the next two years when you are ready to buy your first one, let alone anything after that. Buying a 1/2 ton truck now will force you to stay within the guidelines you have set today which again may not be enough for what you really want in the future. Trust me I have several friends that have bought just as many trucks as they have campers because every time they decided they wanted a bigger camper their truck was not big enough to tow it safely and had to buy a bigger truck....that gets costly real quick........try not to be that guy...... Seriously concider a 3/4 ton truck before pulling the trigger

Last edited by rtandc; 09-03-2016 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the advice so far.

To be clear, the max weight of the trailer is 7600 pounds. While I want to be sure I can handle this and I know "stuff" adds up, I doubt I will add 2,000 pounds of stuff on at most weeklong trips.

As far as tongue weight, the trailer manufacturer lists one that is about 11.5% of the weight of the trailer. That would bring it to about 900 pounds at max load. Is this number not trustworthy?

Old 09-09-2016, 04:20 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
Are you looking at the payload capacity or towing capacity. Check the charts on the Chev. web site. If the trailer has a GVWR, of 9000 and the truck can pull that, that's all you should need. I'd also recommend you get the weight distributing hitch. It makes a big difference. Just remember than the tongue weight from the trailer also has to be added to the load you plan to carry in the truck.

Be aware that many peoples trailers are in fact, over loaded. Some of these trailers have very little load capacity. Plus you have to add in the weight of water in your tanks, and any options you might add on to the trailer like a second AC.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
I have the very truck you are talking about. 2016 5.3 and 3.42 axle with 9100 lb tow capacity. I plan on getting a 22 or 23 foot trailer. I would have gotten more tow capacity if I planned on pulling a 27 ft trailer. Go with the 3.73 axle and you gain about 2000 pounds of capacity. That's the way I would go for a 27 ft trailer.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:45 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,785 times
I agree on the 3.73 axle. It will not make any difference in normal every day driving as far as gas mileage, but you would miserable to tow with 3.06 and the 3.42 is not perfect.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
3.73 is a decent ratio for towing. That's what my F250 diesel has. If I was running a gas, I'd go with 4.30 rear ratio. I'm not a fan of pulling trailers with half ton pickups. Sure, they have have capacity. If I tow the trailer and have nothing else in the bed, fine. When I add things like other toys, I'm overloaded.

Pulling is one thing, getting the whole thing whoa'd is something I don't care to skimp on. A 2500/f250 is a much more solid tow outfit with a safety margin and room to grow. It feels better ahead of a trailer, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing