Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 PM

202 posts, read 1,018,601 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new to RV'ing. What are some of the more common RV and camper vans available out there today on the market, including full-size vans, medium-size vans and even minivans (if there's any commonly converted) in the U.S.A.?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 04:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,975 times
What exactly do you want to do with RVing? If you get a real RV, you are limited to RV Parks and State Parks or so... Mostly! I met a guy with a VW Campervan and he got woke up a lot by cops telling him to go to a campground!

If you get a "Stealth RV" setup, you can go / RV everywhere!

I guess I'd write a book on "Stealth RVing !!!"

Old 09-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Here are a few current offerings
https://www.classicvans.com/camper-vans/

Van specific companies:
  • Pleasure-way
  • Roadtrek
  • El Kapitan
  • Leisure Travel

RV makers who also do vans:
  • Forest River
  • Airstream
  • Gulfstream
  • Chinook

Previous Class B / mini C
Winnebago Rialta (I like mine... but it is not 'off-road' capable...) Pros & Cons of a Rialta
We also really enjoyed the 'adventure' (?) of a VW Westy (too small to 'live in', unless single)
WetWesties - A Pacific Northwest Camping Society

BTW: in over 45 yrs of 'stealth camping', I have never been asked to 'MOVE in the night'. YMMV

Toyota and VW chassis - small overhead versions several manuf.

Rent a few different ones and see what you like:
https://www.escapecampervans.com/
Campervan Fleet :: Campervan North America LLC
https://www.curbed.com/2017/8/23/161...van-rental-usa

Build your own... There are several custom builders in USA, and a place in Canada who will add a poptop.
It will NOT be cheaper than buying as used campervan. (And there are plenty available).
Many great homemade conversions in New Zealand (Can view on 'Trademe')

If you are single... you can be creative. I would probably make a poptop minivan with diesel (free fuel + 35 mpg). I often use my Passat wagons for short trips. They go 1200+ miles between donut shops (Free fuel), and have outdoor shower and water heater + Fridge. (and big enough to sleep in). Tires / brakes / maint is CHEAP... I am making a 'teardrop' / slide in camper for my Snowbear utility trailer. The Passats get 45 mpg towing the trailer with camper or Motorcycles.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-23-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 09-28-2017, 01:21 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Hi,
I'm new to RV'ing. What are some of the more common RV and camper vans available out there today on the market, including full-size vans, medium-size vans and even minivans (if there's any commonly converted) in the U.S.A.?
Thank you
What do you want to do? Are you looking for something with or without a toilet? A shower? Where do you want to camp, off road? Walmart? Boondocking? Study up on the options you have, look on YouTube, the pros and the cons. Without doubt, go look at some examples before you even set your budget, Class B and B+ can cost >$80K-$150K brand new, 5- 10 years old and they lose over half their value. I saw a particular B+ I thought would be perfect, until I went inside, the only place I could stand upright was under the skylight. So we're now looking at small class C RV's.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:45 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
What do you want to do? Are you looking for something with or without a toilet? A shower? Where do you want to camp, off road? Walmart? Boondocking? Study up on the options you have, look on YouTube, the pros and the cons. Without doubt, go look at some examples before you even set your budget, Class B and B+ can cost >$80K-$150K brand new, 5- 10 years old and they lose over half their value.
That's hardly shocking. A 10 year old car has lost at least half its value. I have a 2006 PT Cruiser and it's worth about 1/3rd what we paid for it, maybe less.

It doesn't matter to us because we don't plan on ever selling the Cruiser. But my Roadtrek SS Agile was just over $100,000 and I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years its resale value was $50,000. I don't care.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
...Class B and B+ can cost >$80K-$150K brand new, 5- 10 years old and they lose over half their value. I saw a particular B+ I thought would be perfect, until I went inside, the only place I could stand upright was under the skylight. So we're now looking at small class C RV's.
I have found Class C to be the most susceptible to losing value from NEW... (Cuz there are MANY more of them).

Class A if gas powered and no slides can lose resale value QUICKLY.

There are absolute bargains on used ANYTHING RV this time of yr.

Since you want TALL, get a Diesel C or A (Tho many high top Sprinter's (B) are quite tall.

I will stick with standing under my skylight, as I spend very little time indoors, and my Class C (nearly a B) has increased in value since I bought it used (10 yrs ago). I have spent $12 on maint and repairs, but did change tires when they were 7 yrs old. (as I would on any rig). I trust I will get another 50k on it before I convert it to a diesel. Then I expect another 200k (I get over 500k on my evil diesel cars.

No fuel cost with my diesels... brew my own. (or use discarded Jet A.)
Appleseed processor (since 1976)

Emissions is reduced 90% when using home brew. (non-fossil / carbon / no soot)
Fuel Economy is identical.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
We are thinking of buying a used RV, class B or C and traveling half the year. Any suggestions as far as models and mileage?

We both will be working remotely and will need constant and reliable internet access. I have a hot spot I use from time to time when traveling now, but would like to look at other options. Can anyone recommend a good alternative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing