Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:09 PM

202 posts, read 1,018,601 times

Advertisements

In the U.S.A., how has travel trailer construction changed over the years from, say, the 1930's up to today?

Also; there's one particular type of construction method I'm interested in learning more about (what it's made of, how it was built, etc.), and that's the "canned ham" style travel trailer. I think these were a common style during the 1950's and 1960's.

Also; I think most travel trailers construction seemed to change significantly in the 1970's. Both the style and materials used seemed to have changed a LOT during these years. I'm not entirely sure what materials and construction method they morphed from and to, as I've never owned a travel trailer before.

Any insight you might provide would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by Punchy71; 09-26-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:30 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Virtually all sit on a steel chassis. Most early trailers had wooden framework for the body, similar to the way houses are constructed. They were sheathed with wood and covered with canvas which was then painted. Later aluminum sheathing came along and wood paneling was used on the interior. Not all were the same at any given time. Airstream and others used airplane type construction of aluminum starting in the 1930s. As fiberglass boats became popular fiberglass trailers came along. They have the advantage of fewer seams making them less prone to leaking.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Here is what my Grand FIL was building in the 1930's

1935 Masterbilt Pioneer Trailer Pictures and History, from OldTrailer.com
Vintage Trailer Restoration | RV Obsession
Vintagetrailercamp.com - User Photos :: 4th Annual Trail Along to PISMO 2011 :: PICT5557
http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/l...40trailers.pdf

other fun..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long,_Long_Trailer

Old 09-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Vintage travel trailer blue book of values? That's a new one on me. I wouldn't mind finding a CURRENT blue book on travel trailer values. Especially in print form...

Old 09-27-2017, 07:51 PM

What are some of the better, higher quality, vintage brands to look for?

Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Vintage travel trailer blue book of values? That's a new one on me. I wouldn't mind finding a CURRENT blue book on travel trailer values. Especially in print form...
Doesn't exist in book form, but isn;t this what you are looking for?

RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

The problem is, like car value guides, there is always a local variable in RV prices, sometimes it is significant. Plus most RV mfrs have an east coast vs west coast edition, with some variability in price just based on where the RV was made and what trim it was available in.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
NADA (RV) is also available in Print as it has been for decades.

Get Values Through NADA

You can probably find vintage copies on eBay or paperbackbookswap. (Where I get most of my 'out-of-print' books)

Certainly there are copies at estate sales (Mine will have a little of everything)

Old 08-09-2018, 05:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
What are some of the better, higher quality, vintage brands to look for?

Airstreams seem to hold their value quite well.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Airstreams seem to hold their value quite well.
Yes, and the new ones are the most expensive. We enjoy watching the Flyte Camp folks on Tv, in repeats on the GAC network, and new shows on the internet. They do amazing restorations out of their shop in Bend, Oregon. Back in the late 1960s as a teen I helped restore the inside of a 1950 Airstream Cruiser, mostly woodwork inside, for people that were going to put it on their land in Bodega Bay, CA. We currently have a 2017 Springdale by Keystone, decided we couldn’t take the time to restore, we wanted to get camping right away.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:58 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
NADA (RV) is also available in Print as it has been for decades.

Get Values Through NADA

You can probably find vintage copies on eBay or paperbackbookswap. (Where I get most of my 'out-of-print' books)

Certainly there are copies at estate sales (Mine will have a little of everything)
I know this is old, but to add a note on RV pricing.

It can be extremely difficult to accurately price an RV using NADA.

As someone else said, there are East Coast and West Coast editions which have different features that command different prices. Also, some RVs will come with upgrades that may not be a part of the base package.

The proper way to price one is to get the data sheet on the RV itself. Then look at what are considered "standard" features. If it is listed as an option and the RV has it, you need to check the box to add the cost. But if something like an electric awning is a standard option you can't check the box on NADA because it already factored in that cost. You would be double dipping.

Good example is ours:

The 2017 Keystone Hideout was offered with 30 amp service and one 13.5K BTU A/C as standard equipment. It also offered the normal two seated dinette, no ladder rack, and no spare tire carrier.

My 2017 Keystone Hideout came with a 50 amp upgrade, a 15k BTU A/C in the living room, with a 13.5K BTU A/C in the bedroom. It also came with a wraparound dinette, a rear ladder, and a rear spare tire carrier, none of which were included in the standard packages. It cost about $5k more than the standard Hideout. You really have to do some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing