Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:32 PM

431 posts, read 351,959 times

Advertisements

Having recently retired I plan on doing some traveling. I looked at small motorhomes but don't really need that much space as it will be just my dog and me.

I don't want a trailer because at times I will be towing various toys to take with me.

Truck bed campers are another option but they are big and tend to hang over the back of the truck limiting your towing ability.

Also looked at conversion vans or getting a cargo van and converting it. This is pretty high on the list but not sure if I want to get yet another vehicle. I did have a few custom hippie vans in the 70's so there is the nostalgic aspect as well.

Ideally, I'd like an Earth Roamer type rig but they are very pricey. Ultimately, I may build my own.

I have a pretty nice truck, Chevy 2500 4x4 crew cab long bed Duramax diesel. It has a camper shell (cap, topper, etc) on it now.

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on camper shell camping and have seen some pretty nice setups. The idea appealed to me but I was wondering if it would be just too tight on room inside.

Yesterday, I drove down to SoCal to pick up a Jeep I just bought (about a 900 mile round trip) . I threw a couple seat cushions from my patio set, a couple moving blankets and a pillow in the back of the truck just in case I decided to try to camp.

Got there at noon, loaded up and back on the road by 1PM. Unfortunately, there was a wreck on my main route back (I-15 to highway 395) causing a 4 hour delay. I had to reroute to 210/14 but LA traffic is horrible so added a couple hours.

Made it to about an hour from home and decided to try out the camping thing at a rest area in the eastern Sierra's between Mamouth and Lee Vining for those familiar with the area. It was 110 degrees when I went through Mojave so was worried about it being too hot but was about 70 when I got up into the mountains. Perfect weather for camping!

I took my dog for a long walk and got a bit sweaty. This is a rest area so bathrooms but no showers so I had to go to bed sticky. It was a little warm in the back of the truck but with the two side windows open a nice breeze was blowing through. It was actually quite roomy inside. Plenty of room to move around, change, and can sit up straight. I don't have curtains but the windows are dark tint so you can't see in. I can't lock myself in but was able to close the tailgate and shell back window. Fell asleep within minutes.

Woke up a few hours later because the cushions were crap and not very comfortable. It also got very cold. By 2PM I couldn't take it anymore (temp was now 48 degrees!) and got into the cab to fire up the engine and crank the heat.

So here is what I learned and my plans.

Build a proper bed with 4" foam pad minimum. When you are tired a thin pad feels good but not for very long.

Insulation on truck bed and shell. Will keep it warmer/cooler and also quieter.

Some sort of lock from inside of shell for back window. I wasn't really worried about security at this rest area but others might not be so safe.

Curtains for side window (and back too I guess).

Vent with fan for top of shell. This will help cool down the inside quicker drawing hot air out and cool air in through windows.

Auxiliary battery in bed (to run vent fan, lights, phone charger, etc).

Down sleeping bag and extra long sleeve t-shirt, sweats, jacket, etc.

I found a propane heater on Amazon so may get one of those for really cold nights. I actually prefer cold air when I sleep as long as my bed is warm with good insulating blankets.

Wet wipes for quickie shower. Bucket and wash towel for sponge bath too. May consider camp shower type deal too. This would be a water tank and water pump with hose and nozzle. I've seen these with a circular like tent so you can shower in a private enclosure. I never sleep well if I'm sticky from sweat and when it gets cold it makes it worse.

My shell and truck have solid windows so would like to get sliding windows for both. I have the rubber gasket that goes between the shell and the truck. It would be nice to have a pass through.

So, just wondering if anyone else is doing this and what other ideas / items that you have.

Oh, one more thing, a pee bottle so I don't have to get out of the truck at night.

I still may go with a van or the Earth Roamer type camper build eventually but would like to try the camper shell for now. One of the big appeals to both of these is the ability to just get up and go in the back without having to get out of the truck. My truck has a 6" lift on 35" tires so I use a small step ladder to get in the back. I also have to pick up my dog to get him in the back. I'm thinking about building a fold down, extending step to go into my receiver hitch to make it easier to get in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Truck canopy and camper shell work very nice for the limber and those willing (and able) to deal with the duties you mentioned.

Eventually... (as you age / spend more time on the road) You may like to have the Earth Roamer, or as close as you can build.

I will stick with my 'extra' vehicle camper van. I like to take naps, and access the fridge with one quick and ez move from the driver's seat.

Hope the Jeep works out for you. My Neighbor is restoring a FC 150 (Crew cab, Cab over), Several friends have CJ5's, some with 4BT conversions.
FC150-FC170-M677 | eWillys

For my $550k 'RV'... I will stick to a $30k Silver Eagle (where I can take a nap and access the fridge)

YMMV BTW: Search NZ "Trademe" for some very interesting camper conversions.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Truck canopy and camper shell work very nice for the limber and those willing (and able) to deal with the duties you mentioned.

Eventually... (as you age / spend more time on the road) You may like to have the Earth Roamer, or as close as you can build.

I will stick with my 'extra' vehicle camper van. I like to take naps, and access the fridge with one quick and ez move from the driver's seat.

Hope the Jeep works out for you. My Neighbor is restoring a FC 150 (Crew cab, Cab over), Several friends have CJ5's, some with 4BT conversions.
FC150-FC170-M677 | eWillys

For my $550k 'RV'... I will stick to a $30k Silver Eagle (where I can take a nap and access the fridge)

YMMV BTW: Search NZ "Trademe" for some very interesting camper conversions.
This is the biggest appeal to me for a van/RV/Earth Roamer type rig. The ability to just pull over and get to the back without having to go outside. If the weather is bad or cold, if you'd rather not have other people see what you're doing, and ease of entry/exit.

I try to stay in shape (a lot of my traveling includes going to hiking destinations) but even now, it is a bit of a hassle getting into the back of the lifted truck.

Like I said, I'll try this out for a while and see how it works out. I will most likely at some point, pull the bed off and build my own Earth Roamer camper with a walk through to the cab.

I love the forward cab (FC) Jeeps. They are getting a bit pricey now and are hard to find though. Also have a soft spot for early Willy's pickups and wagons. For now, I am just playing with my late model stuff. I have a couple XJ's, the white one being my latest acquisition being pulled with my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Do Pickup Truck Camper Shell Camping?-img_2551.jpg   Anyone Do Pickup Truck Camper Shell Camping?-img_2869.jpg   Anyone Do Pickup Truck Camper Shell Camping?-img_2871.jpg  

Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
A four inch foam pad will bottom out over the night. Look online for 6" mattress foam. Add a memory foam topper and you are in hog heaven.

Insulation is the huge issue. It is difficult to get a full insulation in the limited space. Custom cut insulation for your windows, skip curtains.

12 volt computer fans are quiet and move about the right amount of air. I've been toying with the idea of one directed into a cooler full of ice, and then hosed to blow over the head area on the sleeping pad as a type of silent cheap AC for warm nights. The ice should last about 5 or 6 hrs if I am correct, letting it run out in the coolest part of the night.

An aux battery needs a cutoff switch from the alternator, so you have a good starting battery.

A garden sprayer works for showering. Cheap and a 1 or 2 gallon one has enough water.

A single burner propane stove that sits on top of a small propane tank gives you easy cooking options.

I have a converted passenger van. It is allowed many places where RVs and trucks are not, I don't have to get out in the rain or a dodgy area to get to the bed in the back, and it blends in to settings.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
i would do some research on the expeditionportal, they have a nice camper section. I would consider a pop up, and there are models with more room, if you are willing to flatbed your rig.

I have seen some earthroamer type campers, with fold out rear entry, and a pop out, so there are way too many options to pick . I did see a cloth, tent style camper, with fold out wings with legs. This was very intresting, as it was easy to remove and store.

Have you ever considered a toy hauler? I could be a good option, if you have a quad/ dirt bike you would like to take along on your trips. I dont know if they will hold a jeep, but could be possible to have it all.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:31 PM

I have looked at toy haulers. That would work for my quads or sidecar rig but not my Jeep. I'd need a huge one (40+') to fit the Jeep in it and don't want to haul around a trailer that big. It limits you where you can camp and makes fueling up a pain.

My buddy has a high dollar JK 4 door and had a custom toyhauler built. It is 48' gooseneck and is very nice but cost him almost $60K.

I've looked at ExpeditonPortal as well as various other sites and that's where I keep getting ideas to build my own.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
I have looked at toy haulers. That would work for my quads or sidecar rig but not my Jeep. I'd need a huge one (40+') to fit the Jeep in it and don't want to haul around a trailer that big. It limits you where you can camp and makes fueling up a pain.

My buddy has a high dollar JK 4 door and had a custom toyhauler built. It is 48' gooseneck and is very nice but cost him almost $60K.

I've looked at ExpeditonPortal as well as various other sites and that's where I keep getting ideas to build my own.
even a half trailer, half shelter could work. to be able to unhook, and drive car only is a very good option.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
even a half trailer, half shelter could work. to be able to unhook, and drive car only is a very good option.
Yes... get a small Mobile Home Frame (3 axle)
stick a $3500 used RV trailer on the front (minus axles), and a flatbed / or used Uhaul truck box behind it (For your toys) (Truck box will be tall, so 'frontal hassle / economy loss', but it would be nice to enclose your toy (While traveling). You could add 'Curtain sides' like the semi trucks.

You could build this rig for under $10k.

My preferred option is a "Hook lift" truck with 'pup'. similar to demolition boxes. (They can lift '20 ft Shipping Containers')

Have a container / RV and a container for each... Metal Shop, Wood Shop, Autoshop... and a flatbed for toys (Bulldozer and excavator in my case). Hook up your specific containers for this trip and go! (tandem trailers) even better in states that allow 'triples'.

The 13 states that allow triple trailers are mostly in the West, where roads are flat and straight: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota and Utah.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:43 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Camping in a camper shell works fine. You put a mattress in there, a cooler, a camp stove, and a small backpacking tent. Plus a lot of bug repellent. Maybe a small folding camp table if you are going to be camping where there are no tables.

You don't need the camp stove if you plan to eat sandwiches and cold food.

The downside is that is can get mighty hot inside there in the summer. If it is too hot, you set up your backpacking tent and sleep in that. Or if you really choose hot place to camp, get one of those collapsible shade canopies so you can sit in the shade.

Somewhere, I've got a "tent" that attaches to the back of the camper shell that gives you a zip up closure over the tailgate. It keeps out bugs and lets air in. At the time I bought it, it was really cheap and it works just fine.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:09 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
Truck bed campers are another option but they are big and tend to hang over the back of the truck limiting your towing ability.
There are more truck campers that don't hang off the end than do. Even with the campers that extend past the bed you can easily tow using an extension hitch and tow your jeep or most other things.

Many examples:
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...rd=ssl&imgrc=_

That said camping in a shell can be great, depending on your tolerance for lack of conveniences. A 5" memory foam mattress works fine for me down to at least 30 deg (haven't tried colder) with a good sleeping bag for a blanket.

Build a plywood platform and you'll have storage underneath for camp chairs, or whatever else you might want to bring along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing