Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 05:50 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, I realize I need to know all the specs before I choose the model of truck, I was just wondering if anyone had a preference in general terms.
Everyone has a preference, each of the big 3 has their fans and haters, people who say brand X is absolute crap and brand Y is perfect and someone else will say brand X is perfect and brand Y is crap.

Comfort is subjective, you/your husband will need to try them to see which fits you best. I find Chevys most comfortable, I have relatives who have F250's and F350's who prefer Fords.

Based on sales Ford has a slight edge at the moment, but any of them as a 1 ton with a diesel can tow your 35' fifth wheel easily.

Sales:
Ford 41%
Chevy/GMC 36%
Ram 23%

I've always owned Chevys, last summer I had an opportunity to tow my 6,000 lb camper with 2 different Tahoes (1/2 ton), a gas Chevy 3/4 ton, a gas (7.4L) Chevy 1 ton and a gas (v10) Ford 1 ton, both 1 tons long bed crew cabs. Without question it was most comfortable with the one ton pickups, best pulling, braking, most stable feeling. My seat of the pants ranking put the Ford at the top for braking and handling the weight, about even at pulling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Yes, we will work on the specs when we choose the 5th wheel, DH is figuring a 3/4 ton truck.

He was more interested in getting feed back on reliability, comfort and stuff of the various makes.
Don’t undersize your tow rig, you will live with trouble and potentially be unsafe.

I much prefer stability of a dually and reliability / service / utility / handling / long term cost advantage of a solid front axle thus I recommended the earlier Dodge 1t.

As a commercial driver, I think first of safety, then service, then comfort. As why I mentioned the class 8, (semi tractor). Imagine the nice features of having a queen bed, microwave, fridge, 2 steps away from the front seat plus the safety of excellent brakes, similar economy to a pickup, but 4-6x the service life. You will have a tough time finding a more comfortable and safe drive than an air ride Class 8. It will not even care that it has 30,000# tagging along.

Of course this is NOT the choice of conventional thinkers, but you did ask for ‘favorites’
A friend from Canada mounts his diesel Smart car behind the sleeper of his Volvo Condo. Gives them a great 50 mpg ‘run-about’. Another friend has a Suzuki Samurai ‘ride-along’, and I have seen several people use Saturns, on an inclined ramp behind tow rig and ahead of 5th wheel.

I insist on simple and robust, thus the 1997 Dodge 12v 3500 4x4 dually (actually the 1998 - 1998.5 is the most sought after, but they are 2-3x the price of 1997 or 1998.5+.). We have a C-D poster with one... i’m Still looking (for last 15 yrs)

Of course we ALL can’t have the same favorites That is a very good thing

Be safe!

Old 11-27-2017, 11:18 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Thanks to all the comments here we are sold on the 1 ton. Safety is very important.

Still on the fence about duallies and diesel.

Also, DH conceded that he doesn't care if it's a Ford or Chevy, he will go by the comfort factor, and not how it looks on the outside.

Thanks everyone!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-27-2017, 01:59 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,855 times
The dualies will be dictated by the amount of weight you need to pull, same with the diesel, although if you do a single rear wheel you might get away with a gas engine. Really, will you be using this vehicle as a daily driver or just a tow vehicle? If just the tow vehicle, I'd get the drw and diesel with no question. The problem with both the drw and diesel for daily driver is that the truck will be a bit too wide for normal parking spaces and the diesel is a bit higher maintenance than a gas engine.

As StealthRabbit says, don't undersize your tow vehicle.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:09 PM

It would serve both as the tow vehicle and our regular vehicle. At least that is the current goal.....

Old 11-27-2017, 02:20 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
Quote:
Thanks to all the comments here we are sold on the 1 ton. Safety is very important.

Still on the fence about duallies and diesel.

Also, DH conceded that he doesn't care if it's a Ford or Chevy, he will go by the comfort factor, and not how it looks on the outside.

Thanks everyone!!
When I bought mine I test drove both Chevy and Ford. You and your husband should do the same. I'll be surprised if you can't tell a difference in road noise, comfort, and 'fit/finish'. Give them a real close look so you are happy with your choice.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
When I bought mine I test drove both Chevy and Ford. You and your husband should do the same. I'll be surprised if you can't tell a difference in road noise, comfort, and 'fit/finish'. Give them a real close look so you are happy with your choice.
Which did you choose?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Definitely drive them all (preferably under load) Best to do this with 'friends' / other RVrs

One of my employers and our Volunteer Fire Dept exclusively drive Fords (I had a 550 mile daily route in one for a few yrs). My Neighbor has (6) Fords (250's and 350's in his fleet.
I drove a friend's Chevy Duramax srw on (2) 3800mile trips.

I chose neither.

YMMV

Get what best fits and suits you. (especially if YOU will be working on it, or worse ... waiting / paying someone else to work on it) Even worse is WAITING for someone to pick you up when it breaks down on an very empty rural road during a blizzard (or several times doing this). If you are 'retired'... hopefully you won't be driving during blizzards!

1) Know your weight
2) Know your terrain
3) Know your desired schedule (how frequent and how far)
4) Know your budget
5) Know your exit plan (My mom... the avid RVr... only lasted 20 months in a 5r, (gave it a really hard try) then she switched back to her more preferred mode of RV). Another FT RV friend did 6 yrs with a bumper pull, then did 6 in a 5r, now back to a smaller bumper pull.

All has to do with YOUR desires / comfort level / places you go / how long you stay.

Make a 'weighted' spreadsheet with the above, and the answer will become more clear.

Sign up for an Escapees "Boot Camp." A friend teaches those, and they are very helpful. (even BEFORE you buy!)

Old 11-28-2017, 05:11 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
Quote:
Which did you choose?
As I noted above, Ford Super Duty 1 ton.
The chevy had more cheap looking plastic interior parts and the doors sounded 'tinny' when you closed them. The ride was smoother with less road noise and the seats were more comfy (for me).

I have previously owned Chevy, Dodge and Ford trucks and I typically try more than one brand when buying new.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
You can get a 1 ton F150, my 2017 is a 5.0 V8 (Flex Fuel) and has 385 horsepower. The documentation shows it can tow 9,000 lbs. in my configuration, though our trailer is only a bit over 4,000. The great towing features like the integrated brake controller, backup camera mounted over the hitch with a center line, both 4 and 7 pin connectors, and transmission tow mode. The pro trailer backup assist is fun, though not really needed if experienced.

https://youtu.be/cLzPTRZFVaI?t=31

Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite towing truck?-img_17505.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing