Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,467 times

Advertisements

Hemlock, while your truck may be able to hold 2000lbs of payload, the 150 is still classed as a "half ton" truck. As mentioned way back, the "1 ton" truck will have a payload of around 4000-4400 lbs. The OP definitely needs a 350 sized truck to tow the 5er she wants to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 03:16 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
We have a Ford F-350 one ton dually to haul the big gooseneck horsetrailer. A GMC 3/4 ton four door with extended bed for the smaller rig. We used to haul a 30ft. Travel trailer with a GMC Jimmy...the bigger one. Till we got into trouble on an icy overpass in Oklahoma and rig. Scared the snot out of us and then we always went for a more powerful rig with a long wheel base for stability.
Now we tow a Cherokee with a 40foot diesel pusher

Old 12-04-2017, 01:19 PM

424 posts, read 581,074 times
A medium duty truck like the Freightliner M2.

Horsepower 200-350 HP

Torque Up to 1150 lb-ft

GVWR 66,000 lbs.

https://freightliner.com/trucks/m2-106/specifications/

Old 12-04-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
A medium duty truck like the Freightliner M2.

Horsepower 200-350 HP

Torque Up to 1150 lb-ft

GVWR 66,000 lbs.

https://freightliner.com/trucks/m2-106/specifications/
Looks great, but the OP is using the truck as their daily driver. Can you imagine trying to park that at your local CVS!

Old 12-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Looks great, but the OP is using the truck as their daily driver. Can you imagine trying to park that at your local CVS!
Huh excuse me that isn't the way it reads. See below original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know this is a tad generic, and that's because we are in the beginning planning stage, and being out of state makes this more difficult.

We plan on buying a 35 ft. fifth wheel, factor in toy loader for husband's bike, and pretty fully loaded with stuff (we may hang out in it the first year, with most of belongings in storage).

What truck and model is your favorite, and why? I will give this to my husband so I am not subjected to all techie talk....

TIA!!!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It would serve both as the tow vehicle and our regular vehicle. At least that is the current goal.....
Here's a later post by the OP when I asked her if it would be only for the trailer or daily driver.

This is what happens when you post an answer before reading the whole thread.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Here's a later post by the OP when I asked her if it would be only for the trailer or daily driver.

This is what happens when you post an answer before reading the whole thread.
OK, I was just going on the title of the post "What's your favorite towing truck" (my emphases)
And it still is. Nothing says they that can't pull a "toad" behind the fifth wheel, it is legal to do so in all States as far as I know.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
OK, I was just going on the title of the post "What's your favorite towing truck" (my emphases)
And it still is. Nothing says they that can't pull a "toad" behind the fifth wheel, it is legal to do so in all States as far as I know.
Agreed that ALL answers qualify with thread topic (FAVORITE tow vehicle) as there are many OTHERS who read and get benefit from threads. OP did further note the desire for a single 'multi-use' vehicle. (Which I had mentioned the possibility of a 'ride-along' if using a REAL truck as a tow vehicle (rather than a Light Truck)

No, cannot tow 'triple / 2 towed vehicles' in many states, and significant restrictions in those states that DO allow. 5th wheel does offer the most latitude, but it is a handful.
State Towing Laws
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/
RV Triple Towing Laws, Legalities and Considerations - RV Life

Medium Duty tow vehicle has its +/-, and is pretty ez to use as a multi use. (We have 3 friends who have 'crew cab / 5-6 passenger' Medium duty towing trucks, one has gone back to a pickup, another went to a Class 8. I really prefer a Class 8 (HD truck) (i.e. (my) favorite )

The Medium duty is really rough riding compared to an air ride and air seat Class 8.
Cost is VERY high for Medium Duty custom towing rig.
Economy and dependability / service is better on a Class 8 (probably safety too)

But there are downsides to all options.

Really depends on how the RVr plans to travel / places / distances / time frame / frequency / + mechanical skills and comfort level of handling different rigs. (As mentioned... my mom (a CDL driver) was not happy in her large 5r. so went back to a Class A, but most preferred her Class B (for convenience / stealth camping)

Old 12-21-2017, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,110 times
My go to people for information of sorts is Chicago Towing 24Hr 773.681.9670. Hope they are helpful in some way.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:24 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
We have pretty much decided on a one ton Ford. OMG, they come with some amazing stuff, telescoping side mirrors, cameras prewired for rv cameras, all kinds of stuff. I'm totally in.

I kinda felt about a truck the way a guy feels about a mini van, it may be a necessity but I'm not excited.

Now I am.

But we are finalizing up our plans and will keep our existing paid for 2015 Ford SUV until we move in 2 years. Then we will start looking, should be cheaper in CONUS.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing