Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:19 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times

Advertisements

They must have had some pretty good stuff to sell. Traveling the world isn't free or even cheap. How much were those airline tickets to Australia? And did they ship their van there? Do they rent one when they get there?

This kind of reminds me of Henry David Thoreau writing about living simply in the woods - while his family were supporting him LOL.

Good on them if they're having fun. I just don't like it when people present themselves as living on the cheap in a van, then tell you how they're flying to Australia, and traveling the world. You don't do that in a van.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Someone gave me a rep anonymously and wrote this and didn't say who they are for some silly reason:

I bought a camper van in NZ for under $3000 (less than one month rental cost) Very ez to buy, very ez to sell. Tickets are <$1000RT from LA (with a FREE stopover (1 day or 20 days) in Cook Islands. 1) it is possible, 2) it is affordable 3) it is EZ

This doesn't change my point. If someone has no income, where do they come up with $2000 for two people to fly from LA to NZ? And wasn't it Australia they were going to?

Then, they also have to have money to buy a camper van. For under $3000? That runs? Doubt it. And how do they afford to live while negotiating the purchase of the van? How do they pay for transportation until they get one? Then, any repairs or gasoline? Somewhere to stay? Food to eat?

A FREE stopover? Really? Does that include a hotel and transportation and food?

Affordable is the key word here. Affordable for someone with no source of income or serious bank account? No way. This trip at minimum cost them, if they can actually buy a van for $3,000 that doesn't need repairs - $5,000 just to get there and get a van, not including any other costs like food, hotels, other transportation costs, etc. More likely, we're talking about $10,000 minimum.

My point was that these guys are promoting themselves as if they are poor and living off the land. No way. Like I said, whatever they sold must have been worth a significant amount of money.

Just irks me when people promote themselves as living off the land, etc., when they really have significant assets or some trust fund, etc.

I just wish they'd be honest. Then, I could wish them all the best their money could buy.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:46 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Anything from Yahoo news is essentially click-bait. It's yahoo that is not being honest.

However, I don't think they travel IN the van as far as I can tell, they are not RVers so it's out of scope of this forum, they simply live in a van in a state of poverty and use the savings from that lifestyle to travel. Certainly they are not taking the van to Vietnam or Australia.
They describe themselves as "digital nomads" so maybe they have some internet business, also it appears they actually WORK at these locations they visit as seasonal workers in menial jobs to fund this travel. Not a lot of information...
"For the past two years we’ve worked in numerous cities, coffee shops, libraries, parking lots, National Parks, forests, deserts, roadside pull-outs, farms, river banks, hostels, countries...This photo may seem dreamy, but our life as digital nomads isn’t all sunshine and sandals. We may have traded our desk chairs for hammocks, but finding a work-life balance is always a challenge."

https://www.cheepowersblog.com/coupl...d-van-2-years/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing