Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 04:56 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,751,573 times

Advertisements

We have the Kangacruz:
https://www.kangacruz.com/

Here it is in collapsed in the back of our Ranger. Before this it was in our CRV.
Attached Thumbnails
A possible retirement plan-e51dbd0e-5df6-4ed1-9fbb-6e5264199d21_1_201_a.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 PM

1,364 posts, read 707,964 times
We bought a 34' 5th wheel & truck and I retired at the beginning of the year. We're planning to take months long trips (starting next month!) to get out of Florida during the hot months but there's no way we're going to sell our house before we know how we'll like the RV lifestyle.

Also, shopping for a 15 year old Prevost is madness. I can't even imagine what would justify that.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:26 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Also, shopping for a 15 year old Prevost is madness. I can't even imagine what would justify that.
A lot of research (more than a year). Both written and talking to a lot of people who own, design, maintain, drive, repair, or manage RVs, trucking or bus fleets.

A Prevost from that era will be better made and have far less likelihood of problems than anything new (even including a new Prevost which now costs $2 million).

The DDAD Series 60 engine is the most durable, simple, easiest to maintain and repair and is well known by Mechanics all over the country. It is easily goof for 1 million miles without a major overhaul. Many of the other types of engines (Cat, Cummins) have known issues, valve failures, etc. You cna avoid those models with enough research but I will stick with the one engine/model that is known for decades of amazing durability with no major problem trends developing. It is used in tens of thousands of trucks and buses that are on the road, and virtually every mechanic is familiar with the engine. Parts are readily available with no wait and comparatively cheap. Lots of aftermarket suppliers because there are so many of these engines in use. It also produces outstanding torque for the engine size. It may be the best diesel engine ever mass produced.

The Allison transmission, while not quite in the same league is also well regarded and generally problem free. It is also widely used and well known and understood. Parts are common off the shelf, and do not require long waits.

A Prevost is built like a tank. Everything is heavier duty, better made more robust than what you find on standard RVs. The air bags, suspension, steering components, etc. Many parts are cheaper and more available because the Prevost is designed for use in transportation fleets, not as a toy for rich people. The steel body of the bus is much better suited than a low quality* lumber and fiberglass box for supporting slides AC units and other items and it will suffer less damage in minor crashes and increase survivability in major crashes. (*low quality because all lumber today is low quality).

Then you have the simple fact of overall Prevost quality. They are super expensive. Not because of the conversions, but because of the bast vehicle that forms the unit. (The conversions are often expensive too, but that is a reason we prefer the Royale - more simple less to break, easier to maintain and repair). they ride and drive better than nay box on Chassis RV (although some Newell Owers argue the point, people who have had both seem to say Prevost is superior)

The Prevost base vehicle is designed to haul 56 people weighing up to 200 pounds or more each with a margin of safety in there as well. they are designed to be driven constantly every single day sometimes up to 24 hours a day. A Prevost RV with 150,000 miles on it is never going to even come close to using up the capability and durability of the vehicle.

Then you have the weight carrying capability. As I mentioned, I want to bring some things that are fairly heavy. I do not want to have to use plastic cookware and dishes to reduce weight. Many RVs are at or near their weight limit just with people fuel and water. A Prevost is unlikely to hit its weight limit regardless of what you put in it. Not to mention towing capacity.

Now, we cannot even come close to affording a New Prevost. But we can get an older one that is still good for more than our use of in in our lifetime, within our budget.

Because they are so expensive, even an older Prevost will almost always be well maintained and stored. All around us, we see giant outdoor lots filled with Tiffins, Monacos and Newmars that never ever move. They just sit year after year and decay. Yet you do not ever see a Prevost in one of those lots. Not even an older one. There may be a few that are not stored inside but not many. in a year of searching talking, reading, I have never found one stored outside except City buses our tour buses.

We have no interest in buying a new RV of any kind for a lot of reasons. First is the astronomical price difference, mostly due to dealer markup. Second is the fact that a majority of new Motorhomes seem to spend their first year to 18 months at the dealership getting things straightened out. I will let someone else work out all the bugs for me thank you. Then you look at the huge general drop in overall quality at all levels after about 2007 or 2008. add to that you cannot get the tried and true Series 60 in a newer RV. then add that you get stuck dealing with DEF (no thanks). Most of what the newer RVs offer is fancy electronics that i am not interested in. Electronics are always going to have bugs and failures, even new. I like more simple systems i can easily fix myself rather than spending a week living in a repair lot.

I am aware we will not be able to use parks set aside for snooty people who do not want any RVs around that are more than 10 (or in some cases 8 or 5) years old, however those are not the kind of people we want to be with anyway. I love people, and the quirkier they are the more interesting they tend to be. Part of our desire to become nomads is to meet as many people as possible. People are awesome. Yes there are some terrible ones, but that is why your house has wheels.

So that, in short, is what would make anyone crazy enough to shop for a 15 year old Prevost. There are some added reasons unique to my wife that are not a concern to me, plus some other less critical reasons for me. Now you do not have to try to imagine what would justify that. You know.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
We have the Kangacruz:
https://www.kangacruz.com/

Here it is in collapsed in the back of our Ranger. Before this it was in our CRV.
This looks a lot nicer sturdier and more generally useful than the cricket. No pricing that I could find. Are they comparable in price? Which model do you have?

Old 02-28-2020, 06:12 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,751,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This looks a lot nicer sturdier and more generally useful than the cricket. No pricing that I could find. Are they comparable in price? Which model do you have?
We have the Aspire SS. This was the wife's project and she ordered it with EVERY option. In 2017 ours was $5400 total delivered to Florida. No idea how much the Cricket is.

Kangacruz is very good to work with.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:09 PM

1,364 posts, read 707,964 times
Quote:
A lot of research (more than a year).
Well, you've certainly put a lot of time and effort into making an argument. I would caution you to be realistic about maintenance and repair costs *if* you want to maintain this coach in the manner that you are expecting it has been cared for during its life. A million mile engine is great, but correctly fixing that chandelier that broke or replacing that exotic wood veneer section that's separating, well that can be another story.

Regardless, I wish you the best! It's only been a couple months, but we are enjoying the retirement/RV thing so far. Really, I still feel like I'm on vacation instead of never going back to work.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,515,730 times
Prevost is a great choice for a luxury and serviceable + endurance RV vehicle. It you are at that level. You can buy used very inexpensive and low miles.

This Manf joint (Marathon) is nearby my left coast home, and I stop when pass by, and tour and talk to owners frequently.
https://www.prevostcar.com/news-and-...bus-conversion

Nice reviews
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...ac5c365c71a2,1,,,

Several trucker friends use the Series 60 DD, as well as friends with Class 8 Toter's. Quite economical and reliable.

I will have to see if I can find some used Diesel Gensets from big RV! for my cabin properties.

One cabin is quite near this popular Prevost type resort (Hill Country TX) https://www.buckhornlake.com/home.html
https://www.campendium.com/buckhorn-lake-resort
https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-...ort-200000447/
It is really nice, but very near I-10 (downhill = Jake Brakes all night), there are many other great RV destinations in nearby Hill Country, and quite an easy area to find a FT property you can keep an RV, + Barndominium / + rental home.

Wimberley, TX is excellent location, near Austin, San Antonio, Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, San Marcos. There was an RV park FS in Wimberley quite inexpensive. A friend has recently sold his RV winter home there. (8 acres with shops + 2 rentals + (3) RV sites for ~$280k).

TX is no income tax state, and if located in Hill Country (less tornado prone than DFW, and less muggy / Hurricane prone than HOU), you can get inexpensive flights from SAT or AUS to jet around and see other kids / adventures. We keep a spare car in storage near SAT airport and Uber ($7) to fetch it. Lots of events year round, but really nice Nov (Christmas lights and pageants in each town) - April (Bluebonnet season). Summers I prefer in PNW, shoulder season in CO / WY / UT or NE USA or Maritime Provinces Canada. Each of our locations / destinations have rented home + shop + RV hookups + apartment / cabin for us. Deductible travel between locations. (Rental management)

Old 03-01-2020, 12:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,002,031 times
My husband and I have 5th wheeled quite a bit all over the eastern seaboard and before you even think about buying anything, start renting RVs for vacation for a week or two at a time.

I think your must have list will change quite a bit and what you think is a no brainer may not matter at all once you get going.

An example was for me, I had to have a really state of the art kitchen. Guess what? I have never used the indoor kitchen at all. We use the grill and an electric skillet outside. Also, I didn't want to use my indoor stove because it heats up a small space quickly.

We also avoid using our shower and shower at comfort stations to not steam up the inside.

Indoor sofa configuration? We rarely sit inside. We'd much rather be outdoors around a nice fire. I found that having outdoor furniture was much more important. Which brings up the point of bringing an approved fire pit with you (they must be elevated and caged).

I'm not saying that will be the case with you at all. I'm just saying once you get going, your priorities will change.

Whomever brought up the dishwasher being used for storage, hit the nail on the head.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,515,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
..., start renting RVs for vacation for a week or two at a time.

I think your must have list will change quite a bit and what you think is a no brainer may not matter at all once you get going.
I'm not saying that will be the case with you at all. I'm just saying once you get going, your priorities will change.

Whomever brought up the dishwasher being used for storage, hit the nail on the head.
Yes, you seldom find a FT RV person who has not tried several options. The couple I met last week were on #12, and they were not yet age 65.

My mom tried them all, from vans, trailers (small and large), 5r, and a wide range of MH and toads.
She had a great time with all, but having very nice view homes also, she eventually ended up selling the MH about age 82 and used her Roadtrek (Class B), then due to double amputation of DH, transitioned to a Rialta. She kept her large MH in a nice vacation area and rented a lot along a rippling brook for weeks away during hot months at home.

Priorities and desires evolve through the seasons of retirement / RV.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:50 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,377,203 times
Quote:
Poking around I see quite a few older ones, say 1999 that are really inexpensive . I like the suggestion of a prior poster of getting one sooner and testing it out. Even if you get something cheap and a bit run down use it once or three times a year and the junk it. I would want to get a smaller one so I would tow it with my 1/2 ton short bed truck.

If we do a temporary using my current truck, e will have to get a sliding type hitch and I will have to make certain the hitch is easy to remove so I can use my truck normally the rest of the year.

Maybe we should just get an RV for the temporary/test purposes. The older RVs seem cheaper than an equal 5th wheel. Perhaps that is because the added maintenance and repairs an RV will need. However if we got a temporary/test camper, I would just fix it myself and get whatever use we can out of them. The used ones I saw had about 40 - 50K miles. How long do they last?
Be careful of how old. There is a trend in RV parks to not allow RV's older than 10 years old. You can get great deals on a unit that is only a few years old. Also, they may tend to have more issues not only with the systems but with the body itself with leaks, mold issues etc. Stay away from the big name places like Camping World and look to the smaller RV dealers in your area. If you are wanting to test out before committing to full time a used as in a couple of years old and smaller than you are now thinking might be a way to wet your feet. If you find you like it or even don't like it, if you get a good deal you can probably sell it for close to what you paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing