Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 11:38 PM

202 posts, read 1,018,601 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying my first RV! Since it's just me that will be using it (a middle aged man), I don't need anything big or fancy, just something basic and simple to live in. So right now I'm considering one of the following:

1) Class B camper van
2) Class B-sized Class C (i.e. a small class C)
3) Class B-sized pickup truck with a camper in the bed (both will fit roughly in the same sized footprint as a Class B camper van).
4) Class B-sized conversion van
5) Class B-sized travel-trailer/vehicle combo (both will fit roughly in the same sized footprint as a Class B camper van, maybe some overhang but that's okay.)

My questions are:

A) What are some of the practical difference between all these?
B) Which one is going to give me a space that's actually livable for the least cash outlay?
C) Which will yield the best overall value?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 12:06 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
When you say "live in", do you mean full time or just for vacations?

From the choices you've listed above, I'd say small Class C for full time and pick up truck camper for vacations.

A trailer/vehicle combo that will fit into the B camper van footprint would be too small for me. Just my personal preference, of course.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Never heard of a class b trailer or pickup camper, but...

Rig all depends on you. I have had all...

I LOVE road tripping in Class B (mine is a complete Class C that fits in a B space (Rialta))Pros & Cons of a Rialta (I am over 6' and the Rialta is fine for me (it has 'standup space' under Skylight, but I am seldom inside for long)

I have been gone for a few months at a time, but would NOT desire to LIVE in an RV (big or small). I prefer a 'home-base' shop with apartment in desirable location.

I do not prefer pickups or trailers, as I like EZ access to my food / rest space. and I like my FREEDOM (leave a space at 3AM if desired / needed)

You don't mention a price range, so we are stuck. $3000 to $150,000 for Class B's. I paid $24k and could get $24k 15 yrs down the road. Any will fit the bill for you.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:16 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
...just something basic and simple to live in.

B) Which one is going to give me a space that's actually livable for the least cash outlay?
C) Which will yield the best overall value?
None.

Values like livable for the least cash and best overall value come with walls NOT wheels;
basic and simple = small apartment or studio or sharing.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
Punchy, we could help you much better if you'd relay how you plan to use your new RV. Would this be for weekend camping trips and annual vacations? Short trips or long ones? Full-time camping? Give us some clues.

I'll withhold any "advice" until I know more. It depends.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:09 PM

202 posts, read 1,018,601 times
Thanks for the replies.
Can a Class A, B, or C pull a travel trailer in tow behind it?!

Old 05-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
Can a Class A, B, or C pull a travel trailer in tow behind it?!
only as per rated on each vehicle. (there will be a GCVWR) Engine / brakes / ...total package rated

Often they can tow a 'reasonable' amount of weight, BUT... for LARGE overhang (space behind axle to trailer hitch). Tongue weight needs to be low to not exceed vehicle suspension and handling issues. Many Class C and A have a very long overhang. (limited towing capacity) consider GCVW (combination weight) and length, and tongue weight. thus most MH tow towds (Towed cars) = no / little tongue weight. For many... maneuvering a trailer behind a vehicle with 'Tail Swing' is a problem (crunch). Also can be very hard to SEE when backing (behind a huge motorhome). Thus towing a travel trailer behind a self contained RV is usually avoided / not needed. (in general).

A class B with a reasonable (<3,000#) TT would make a nice home base + regional travel rig (for a FT person who likes to get away from campsite for day / week trips. ). As mentioned... in Europe you find a lot more 'caravans' (travel trailers) being pulled behind smaller cars (all they have!)

Old 05-08-2018, 10:49 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Define "livable." We can't be expected to know how you see yourself living on the road.

My definition of livable is a comfortable horizontal place to sleep, day/night window shades, a compact kitchen with refrigerator, microwave, cooktop and sink, a real bathroom with a real toilet, not a plastic bucket. Oh, and a vehicle length that fits into a standard parking space. The longer your rig is, the fewer parking options you will have.

But you want to go cheap. So tell us your bare essentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing