Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How can you carry Kayaks with a 5th wheel? The cannot go on top - too high. Cannot go on the sides, too wide. No doorway to put them inside. I guess they would have to go on the truck but is there room? What does that do to MPG?
I've seen photos of racks made just for carrying kayaks or a canoe. The racks are fastened to the front bumpers and to the post holes at the front of the beds, and the canoe/kayaks extend over them a bit fore and aft. I looked at them mainly for carrying a canoe in the 17' range. I'm not crazy about them, since they hang so far over the front of the truck that it would obstruct visibility somewhat. The ones I've seen (photos of) were all custom designed and fabricated.

Most kayaks are much shorter than canoes, and I've often seen them strapped vertically to the back of 5th wheels, usually two of them. I assume they're strapped to some kind of rack but never paid much attention, since I'm really only interested in carrying a longer canoe.

IIRC, I've also heard of some people putting kayaks inside the 5th wheel, through the regular entrance door.

MPG is something RVers would rather not discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Yes. I recently realized my planning budget of $6000 per year for fuel is probably insufficient. It might be enough at first, but fuel prices will go up, plus I did not account for fuel use while stationary (generator and aquahot). I think I may need to double my fuel budget and also include a guess at price escalation.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
here is an informational discussion: (For the type rig you are looking at)
Real annual cost to operate RV - iRV2 Forums

I use my travel spreadsheet for each trip, which calculates all forms of travel (car / hotel, RV, Camper Van, Car Camping, Fly/ Drive, Guest homes, Train, hitchhiking (yes I still do that on occasion))

Most importantly will be your # of nights in campgrounds, and # miles likely to travel.

Most FT RV people travel a lot at first, then settle on a 'routine' route / 3-5 yr cycle.

Basically... 10,000 miles traveled and 200 nights on the road ~ $6k in fuel and lubricants (oil / Fluid changes)
~$10k for 'spots' (which would go a LONG way towards purchasing a 'used' Platinum Camping membership (365 days 'in-park', no longer available to purchase NEW))
If you can go solar for power / water, that will help, Gensets (Diesel) sip fuel. DO NOT use a GAS (ICK) genset!!! If in a moderate climate, (and equipped with 50A shore power) your Propane will be minimal ~ $200 / yr max (I would guess)

Old 07-06-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
here is an informational discussion: (For the type rig you are looking at)
Real annual cost to operate RV - iRV2 Forums
Seems to be mostly about the cost of boats and airplanes. Maybe I gave up too soon I did not get to the last page.

Trying to figure out a budget for the future is tough. How much will diesel fuel be in ten years? Ten years ago it was $1 a gallon more than it is now. Will it go up or down in the next ten years? Anyone's guess.

Healthcare is a big question too. Heath insurance options for travelers are limited. Will we even have medicare? Will the costs continue to double every few years? I have no idea what medicare supplemental insurance costs or what it covers, how much deductibles are etc.

Site rental also is allover the place. Fancy places can be $100 a night. However just as nice r nicer places in lower demand locations may charge $400 a month or less. Some locations are free. Prices will likely increase at least for a while as more and more people seem to have the same idea we have. Eventually, investor will notice the big returns on RV parks and more of them will pop up and prices will go down some. I threw $2000/month at it to be safe, but I would be surprised if it is that high even in ten years.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I've seen photos of racks made just for carrying kayaks or a canoe. The racks are fastened to the front bumpers and to the post holes at the front of the beds, and the canoe/kayaks extend over them a bit fore and aft. I looked at them mainly for carrying a canoe in the 17' range. I'm not crazy about them, since they hang so far over the front of the truck that it would obstruct visibility somewhat. The ones I've seen (photos of) were all custom designed and fabricated.

Most kayaks are much shorter than canoes, and I've often seen them strapped vertically to the back of 5th wheels, usually two of them. I assume they're strapped to some kind of rack but never paid much attention, since I'm really only interested in carrying a longer canoe.

IIRC, I've also heard of some people putting kayaks inside the 5th wheel, through the regular entrance door.

I have one like that for our canoe. No rack on the bumper just tie it down in the front, rack on the roof of the cab and on the trailer hitch. It limits your speed and vibrates a lot. If we forget to twist the straps it hums so loud you can hear it for miles. It is a pia and yes, it seriously obstructs visibility. , I would not want to drive around like that all the time. I recently saw a 5th wheel for sale with a canoe on top. I do not know how they get under bridges, wires and trees. 5th wheels are tall.

Strapping vertically would work for bathrub type kayaks. They are only 10 - 12 feet long normally. that could be an answer. I am hoping to get better Kayaks and those are usually considerably longer. But they may be more cost than we can justify. They cost thousands while bathtub kayaks cost hundreds.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Most FT RV people travel a lot at first, then settle on a 'routine' route / 3-5 yr cycle.
We intend to spend 6-8 months rotating through five locations and the balance travelling to cool places. Of course that will change year to year. Initially we will likely travel a lot more and go to the wilds of Canada, to Alaska, all the states etc. later we will mostly try to hit the places we missed and go see more of our favorite places. When grand-kids come, we will likely spend more time in that location.

Thank for the information about Generators. With a DP it would obviously be diesel powered, but never really thought about the type with a 5th wheel. Diesel is a lot safer to carry and store too. I wonder if it is practical to rig the truck gas tank to allow you to fill the generator tank from that. It would make carrying the fuel and storing it while traveling a lot easier.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
... How much will diesel fuel be in ten years? Ten years ago it was $1 a gallon more than it is now. Will it go up or down in the next ten years? Anyone's guess.
I would estimate it will stay under $5. That will cover variation (Unless some greenie in congress adds a $3/ gal tax (not totally unlikely). Nice thing with diesel is there are so many alternatives, including synthetic and potentially Algae based fuels can be viable under $5/ gal))
Healthcare is a big question too. Heath insurance options for travelers are limited. Will we even have medicare? Will the costs continue to double every few years? I have no idea what medicare supplemental insurance costs or what it covers, how much deductibles are etc. If you are always GONE, you can do 'travel health insurance' quite inexpensive ~$800 / yr (I have used it for primary, but they do not like that!, and will not be covering a chronic / LT disease / care). Heathcare sharing network is viable and I have many friends successfully using these for 10+ yrs. (including a niece who ended up in ICU for 4 months and it all was covered) ~ $400 / month.
http://www.cchfreedom.org/pr/MEDICAL...ISON_CHART.pdf
https://clubthrifty.com/healthcare-sharing-ministries/

Medicare Supplements can be $800 / month NOW!!! (Usually <$300), but just figure it will go UP!

Site rental also is all over the place. ... I threw $2000/month at it to be safe, but I would be surprised if it is that high even in ten years.
Timeshares based their cost models on estimating / forecasting huge potential increases in lodging (Which never happened). There are many RV options, (including free boon-docking), so $2k should cover it. I prefer free farm stays (plenty of space, quiet, safe, something productive to do! (help farm / fix / build / care for livestock / plenty of HUGE veggie gardens!!)
Quote:
We intend to spend 6-8 months rotating through five locations and the balance travelling to cool places. Of course that will change year to year. Initially we will likely travel a lot more and go to the wilds of Canada, to Alaska, all the states etc. later we will mostly try to hit the places we missed and go see more of our favorite places. When grand-kids come, we will likely spend more time in that location. (500 mile days will set you back at the pump! ($200 - $350), be prepared for that if touring much). Just the cost of doing business / freedom / price of admission for playing the FT RV game.

Thank for the information about Generators. With a DP it would obviously be diesel powered, but never really thought about the type with a 5th wheel. Diesel is a lot safer to carry and store too. I wonder if it is practical to rig the truck gas tank to allow you to fill the generator tank from that. It would make carrying the fuel and storing it while traveling a lot easier.
Not all DP have diesel gensets (which are EXPENSIVE, to buy, but cheap to run!) Propane powered genset is sometime used on DP (expensive to fuel and require frequent top-off) . Yes, if diesel... they operate off the standard fuel tank.

3 Best RV Electric Generators of Each Fuel Type
$8k - $10k for a diesel RV genset, so be sure you get one already equipped with your used RV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing