Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 599 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. Me and my wife will be visiting Rocky Mountain National Park during July. The thing is, this will be a one-day trip, so I am not sure what the best places will be to visit in such a short time. While I have found some information on the web, I would love to hear some opinions about those who have visited the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 04:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
As with National Parks during peak season... Arrive early (before dawn); stay late; hike / nap mid-day.

Early Morning; Bear and Sprague Lakes (more wildlife, less crowds)

Afternoon / Evening:
Fall River and Trail Ridge road (and on over to Grand Lake) I prefer the west side of the park (more lush, less people)
(can come home in the dark! I used to do this run in summer evenings on my motorcycle, usually via WY Snowy Range (which are really nice alpine mtns too )

Ask at ranger station the day before for ideas and wildlife sightings. Lots of nice streams for a picnic lunch and afternoon nap.

For your route to Estes Park, make it a round trip, with one leg through Glen Haven, Big Thompson / Devil's Backbone (Loveland route) I prefer that leg headed westbound, but depends on your schedule, do it during the light of day! Coming up through the switchbacks above Glenhaven and into Estes from the Northeast is very picturesque (and near my childhood ranch home). GOOD cinnamon rolls @ Glenhaven general store, Just had one last week.

Highway 7 "Peak to Peak" is a great route (to the south) and really nice for Sept visits (fall aspen colors)
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html

For other readers... when in Rocky Mtns, follow 'Scenic Byways!' Be prepared for 3-5PM rain and lightning (daily). Crisp morning air in Estes Park is great!

Old 06-29-2018, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 554 times
Default Visit the most accessible locations!

Given this will be a one-day trip, I must admit it is unlikely that you will see much of what this rather huge park has to offer. This is not to say that you won't be able to see some very good areas within 12-14 hours. I would recommend Lake Irene, as it offers very nice views and can be readily accessed on the Trail Ridge Road. Tundra Communities Trail, on the other hand, is great for alpine wildflowers and tundra.

In conclusion, I would recommend setting your priorities based on the time and what you and you wife are most interested in. You can check this [url]https://www.trekkingdays.com/rocky-mountain-national-park[/url] and this [url]https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g143048-d7700956-Reviews-Lake_Irene-Rocky_Mountain_National_Park_Colorado.html[/url] for more details. There is a lot to see in the National Park and in one day you will be able to see a lot but you will need more trips like this one for a deep exploration of the area.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:39 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
There is a shuttle bus system that I'll recommend studying before you go. Traffic and parking in the summer can be a nightmare. If you are okay to hike there are some fantastic one-way hikes you can do between Cub Lake and various places along Bear Lake Road. Just use the buses to get back to your car (or back into town if you took the bus from the visitor center). Alternatively, you could use the buses to visit the various places without walking very much. You could spend the whole morning doing this, head back into Estes Park for a late lunch, and then late in the day when traffic is lesser, make the drive up Trail Ridge Road (assuming you are okay driving next to dropoffs with no guardrail).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing