Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:37 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Never heard of WAWA before now. I had to look it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I go to Philly periodically to see hockey games. I had never heard of one before going there. Don't have them down here in TX
"As of May 2018, Wawa has over 800 locations across Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Florida."

When visiting in Allentown PA, would always stop at a WAWA. Great place for travelers, cause "if they don't have it, you don't need it."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawa_(company)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 05:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Every Walmart I’ve stopped at this year has Security aggressively patrolling the parking lot.

If they see an RV or camper van, they will knock on your door and tell you to leave.

What a shame that the idiots ruined it for the rest of us.
Although the idiots are definitely a factor, IMO the biggest contributor is local ordinances supported by motels, hotels, and RV park owners. They really don’t want you staying at WalMart - or anywhere - for free.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:36 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
You don't need any kind of license to park in the back of walmart's parking lot and sleep for about 3 nights do you?
No you don't need a license, but I don't think any Walmart will allow you to stay for 3 nights. One night some allow, but that has been changing from people abusing it and local laws changing to prohibit it.

Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop also allow RVs to overnight, but I doubt they'd go along with 3 nights. None of them want people camping there, just stop buy something, stay over night and leave.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
You don't need any kind of license to park in the back of walmart's parking lot and sleep for about 3 nights do you?
you may not need a license and it may be legal, but many WalMarts do not allow this. It is better to check and find out before you try it.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Every Walmart I’ve stopped at this year has Security aggressively patrolling the parking lot.

If they see an RV or camper van, they will knock on your door and tell you to leave.

What a shame that the idiots ruined it for the rest of us.
no, I think it is safer to say, what a shame some people do not want to spend the money to park someplace that is safe and approved fro RV parking.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no, I think it is safer to say, what a shame some people do not want to spend the money to park someplace that is safe and approved fro RV parking.

Why would I want to hunt down an RV park and pay $30 or $40 or $50 when all I want to do is get a few hours sleep? I've stayed at Walmarts before and I've felt just as safe there. I don't need a water hookup, electricity or a dump station every night. I just need a place to park. Walmart fills that need in a lot of areas. And if the manager says it's all right, then it's approved for RV parking.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
truth be told... RV parks are not all that 'safe'.

I will never forget the night a drunk campground owner pulled his car up to the door of our tent at 2AM revving his engine and threatening to run us over. (He accused us of not paying, tho we had paid his wife, while he was away at the bar. ) We got out of there FAST, despite having presumably paid for a 'safe-night's-sleep'...

I am careful where I pitch my tent and park my RV... ease of a QUICK escape is paramount.

BTW... I have a few campground host friends who have said it is imperative to hand carry a weapon to keep order (More for the 'guests' than the campers).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-16-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 05:11 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I like to research stuff. For a while I have been researching the idea of converting a van to an RV and then traveling for cheap when we retire. The Walmart stops are part of the plan. I introduced my idea to my wife who promptly informed me that she has no interest in spending her retirement years sleeping in a van in a Walmart parking lot.

All in all not an unreasonable position to take.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Generally, the Walmart that's off by itself with a big parking lot will allow it, because there is no competition for parking there. We were just at a Walmart "Neighborhood Market" yesterday that shares it's lot with a fitness center and strip mall, and they have posted signs "NO TRAILER OR RV PARKING." I would consider a Walmart parking lot as the last resort after rest stops, if no RV parks were available and I was too tired to keep driving.
The big ones do make a good rest stop, however, with plenty of room to park the rig, go in and use the restroom and buy a few things. Though I did it on our last trip, I feel a bit funny pulling over to the side of a busy highway to use the bathroom in the trailer. I felt really silly when a rest stop came up about 5 miles later.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:44 AM

353 posts, read 414,210 times
Freecampsites.net many use. We use to park at truck gas stations, although loud they were safe and had food. It is best to always ask permission if you are unsure. The reason that Walmart's are cutting back are because of city ordinances, areas that have RV parks and they feel Walmart is taking $$ from them. Always pick up after yourself and others who are not so tiddy when camping. More and more people are hitting the road and some throw their trash on the ground. Stricter rules are being enforced all of the time because of inconsiderate people. Honestly, 40 years ago you could take your dog across country and stay at hotels/motels without a added fee. All parks were dog friendly, I use to take my dogs to the park weekly and they roamed the park without a lease. I use to take my dogs to beaches without any restrictions. I always cleaned up after my dogs but many do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing