Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 05:50 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Quartzsite Arizona is a small town in summer, but blooms in the winter when there are many folks dry camping in the desert. There are events such as the rock show, the RV show and others. There are a couple of commercial campgrounds for folks who want modern conveniences. Some of the campers are snowbirds and will spend the entire winter there.
And there is the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, a free event for those who live a life on the road or who want to. Generally held in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Why would you not want to abide by the 14 day rule? It is my understanding that you only have to move x# of miles to go to a new spot. Then you can move back after that 14 days is up.
I believe the distance is usually 25 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 05:51 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Quartzsite Arizona is a small town in summer, but blooms in the winter when there are many folks dry camping in the desert. There are events such as the rock show, the RV show and others. There are a couple of commercial campgrounds for folks who want modern conveniences. Some of the campers are snowbirds and will spend the entire winter there.
And there is the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, a free event for those who live a life on the road or who want to. Generally held in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Why would you not want to abide by the 14 day rule? It is my understanding that you only have to move x# of miles to go to a new spot. Then you can move back after that 14 days is up.
I believe the distance is usually 25 miles.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Personally, I've only done it in rest stops and large parking lots, just because I don't want to have to worry about some random cop giving me a hard time. But I have seen RVs and people's cars and SUVs parked, motionless, in a variety of locations in rural Nevada.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:59 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Freecampsites.net seems to be a good source. If you check out creativityrv, Robin recently did a video on finding free camping.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:30 AM

527 posts, read 423,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
My fiance and I might camp out on BLM land in our RV when we finally make it west. We both have never been camping & we'll have the RV + a large tent. I'm excited just thinking about it yet nervous too. Our only protection will be 2 pitbulls - should we consider taking something else in addition?
Well with what happened to that boondocking RV couple in Texas this October (James and Mary Butler), I really wonder about safety... they just IDs the bodies they dug out on the beach where they've been boondocking and went missing (and their truck and RV trailer had been stolen/taken over to Mexico by someone).
I don't camp in RV yet - I extensively tent-camped all over the Western public lands (and most of the States as well), alone, without a dog, and not carrying (in the past). I'm not a guy also, which doesn't help in terms of safety I guess. If I were you and had no experience camping (main thing, also, you don't really know the areas you're camping in, "what's going on" there) I'd stay in areas where you at least have sufficient cell phone signal to call 911 or sheriff (sometimes phone may show something like 1 bar signal, but it's not enough - if you call 911 on that in some rural areas the operator might not be able to hear what you're saying). I don't think 2 pitbulls would matter much to determined or crazed attacker, my opinion, they can be shot. I wouldn't boondock unarmed, but this doesn't protect 100% either (in that murdered RV couple, the guy was ex-military and armed btw). Frankly, I'd stay where you can see a couple of other non-shady looking RVs within shouting distance.

Last edited by opossum1; 11-02-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-03-2019, 07:35 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
That is so sad about the couple that was killed. I hope we get to find out the particulars at some point.

I really wonder how they got singled out and how they were hijacked.

I haven't done any camping here yet. I do plan on going to the RTR and soak up as much information/knowledge as I can. I think also, for myself, I plan on parking by other campers, at least until I know what I am doing. The safety in numbers theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing