Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 04:14 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times

Advertisements

Whether in an RV, fifth wheel, camper, SUV, or tent?
Whats your experience, of doing it just on an random empty desert land by a desert road that is not a designated BLM dry camping site? But a distance away from human development?
Id be curious whether there be any ordinances against this or any conflict that may occur in this case even being far from any known person's property, home, or business.
It appears to be a good idea for someone who is self contained enough to only need water and dump every three or four days and avoid dealing with RV park fees and the feeling of confinement within an crowded RV park. I know that eastern parts of San Bernardino County, Riverside County, San Diego County, and Imperial County on the California side, and the areas of Yuma and Mojave County outside of immediate cities have plenty of desert floors that are devoid of human development. Its hard to find places like this in most of the US anymore as land even in the most rural areas is normally occupied or owned by something or someone.

Id be curious for those who disperse camp in BLM or National forest land do they really closely count the days that someone is "camped" out there and would track whether you camp at least 3 miles to 25 miles away once past 14 days?
Meaning if someone drove to town or somewhere to fill up or dump tanks, which would be a necessary evil every 5 days, and come back to the similar area they will find out and evict or fine someone if they notice they are still camped within 25 miles of their original "campsite?"
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 04:37 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
We camp on BLM, USFS, and state land throughout the Western US. We ate often the only people for miles or if there is anyone out there it is usually ranchers and hunters. As long as you don’t trespass on private land, make sure to leave gates how you found them, don’t have wild parties and leave trash, no one cares. Cows have the right of way in open range country which is prevalent. You will love the quiet, sunsets, dark skies and feeling of freedom.

We returned three weeks ago from a 4 week camping trip to Oregon and Nevada. Up until we arrived on the Oregon Coast in the last week, we only paid $18 for camping for 3 weeks. These were at the federal campgrounds. Otherwise, we boondocked in gravel pits (not posted) or along side a gravel road that had an obvious campsite.

I don’t know about enforcement of the 14 day rule. I do know personnel is stretched thin so you probably won’t be bothered unless you are in a popular area closer to bigger towns.

In a Central Nevada, make sure that you are near a town that offers services. For example, in Tonopah, NV, one of the largest towns for miles, there was one propane supplier and one place to dump your tanks and get fresh water. Also, 1 pharmacy and 1 grocery store.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Thanks to let me know your story.
I know that there are many vacant land out side of Lake Havasu City. i.e around Desert Hills, even though its not a designed dry camping site.
Lake Havasu City is a great place, but in November it can be crowded and RV parks can be tight or at least charging high season rates.
There are also plenty of neighboring California that has empty land.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:52 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
The thing that would worry me is drug runners you might run into that don't care who they shoot.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:41 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
The thing that would worry me is drug runners you might run into that don't care who they shoot.
Unless you're close to the border this shouldn't be a concern. Once you're north of the secondary Border Patrol checkpoints you should be safe. Of course, you should always be armed when out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:22 PM

Id be curious there isn't more homeless people camped out in the desert or are there?

Outside of Slab city of course. Which happens to be a famous desert homeless encampment community.

Though safety of camping in unmarked land is always an issue.

I heard another issue is that open land even if there is no marking or fencing or such for miles and miles might be owned by someone(not entirely public) and may possibly be a drug lord who may view anyone with hostility.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:42 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Id be curious there isn't more homeless people camped out in the desert or are there?

Outside of Slab city of course. Which happens to be a famous desert homeless encampment community.

Though safety of camping in unmarked land is always an issue.

I heard another issue is that open land even if there is no marking or fencing or such for miles and miles might be owned by someone(not entirely public) and may possibly be a drug lord who may view anyone with hostility.

No booze, no drug dealers, no soup kitchen, too few marks to panhandle from. Not to mention, most people are armed and it's easy to see someone approaching, so few targets of opportunity to steal from and nowhere to fence stolen goods.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:47 AM

367 posts, read 421,129 times
Quote:

Did you mean ones without RVs? Natural environment is too hostile (lack of shade, water, temperatures are extreme) plus harder to hide in the open space.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:55 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Whether in an RV, fifth wheel, camper, SUV, or tent?
Whats your experience, of doing it just on an random empty desert land by a desert road that is not a designated BLM dry camping site? But a distance away from human development?
Id be curious whether there be any ordinances against this or any conflict that may occur in this case even being far from any known person's property, home, or business.
It appears to be a good idea for someone who is self contained enough to only need water and dump every three or four days and avoid dealing with RV park fees and the feeling of confinement within an crowded RV park. I know that eastern parts of San Bernardino County, Riverside County, San Diego County, and Imperial County on the California side, and the areas of Yuma and Mojave County outside of immediate cities have plenty of desert floors that are devoid of human development. Its hard to find places like this in most of the US anymore as land even in the most rural areas is normally occupied or owned by something or someone.

Id be curious for those who disperse camp in BLM or National forest land do they really closely count the days that someone is "camped" out there and would track whether you camp at least 3 miles to 25 miles away once past 14 days?
Meaning if someone drove to town or somewhere to fill up or dump tanks, which would be a necessary evil every 5 days, and come back to the similar area they will find out and evict or fine someone if they notice they are still camped within 25 miles of their original "campsite?"
Rangers do patrol certain areas where lots of people camp, and they do keep track of names and license plates.

It’s a desert out there, and people tend to congregate where there’s water, shade, flat spots, and/or scenic vistas, within striking distance of a road that leads to town. Avoid those places, and it’s quite likely no one will keep track of you. Or - you could just move in 14 days. Most folks are fine with changing the scenery when the 14-day limit rolls around.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:04 PM

Is it legal to camp or park RV, in unoccupied non BLM lands in the California/Arizona? The mostly uncharted areas on the map?

I do see RVs on those areas from time to time,

Homeless often do live in much horrible condition RVs that they may have rescued from
The junkyard. The ones many RV parks do not rent a space to due to possible negative reputation to the parks Though in the deserts I doubt people would mind and there isn’t many code enforcement to stall them.

I understand the 14 day limit is to keep the land for vacationing campers and not turn into homeless encampments which would scare tourists away. Though I guess it would be difficult if one wants to experiment Lake Havasu City living in an extended manner or get a temp jobs there if one can only stay 14 days before rangers/sheriff/or code enforcement would tell them to rent an RV park or camp 25 miles away from Lake Havasu City. Roughly the distance to i40. Though does it apply to land that is not part of BLM? Can one get around it by cycling between, BLM, County, and state parks(fee but have hookups).

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 11-25-2018 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing